all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The feet of a kettlebell practitioner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I've noticed that kettlebeller's feet look definitely different from the average person. The feet look solid, useful, rooted. I'm wondering, what develops this? What is anatomically different? What accounts for the difference in appearance? Pavel of course is a perfect example. Karen Smith's feet also exemplify it, as do many other female instructors. My own feet (though not nearly as pretty as some) seem to have developed the same characteristics. But we don't specifically train the feet.... so, how does this come about? Any thoughts?

Interesting observation Anna. The cue to screw the feet into the ground engages the muscles that support the arches of the feet. Combining that cue with the rhythmic tug of war and tension/relaxation cycle of the swing movement develops dynamic strength endurance and kinesthetic sense in the muscles of the calves and feet, as well as working the proprioceptors that give our joints their idea of where they are in space. This enhances proper foot mechanics in daily life. Just a thought. ;)

@rickyw Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I like the part about the proprioceptors; that explains the energizing "plugged into" the ground feeling, like the feet actively are seeking connectedness to collect more information for the brain. And looking up the chain, I'm thinking there is a weight shift, as well; the "hips forward" posture that eventually develops from the swing, this goes all the way down the legs and into the feet and likely results in a slightly different angle of the lower leg in relation to the feet when standing. Interesting...

Yes, if I understand your meaning you are saying that a proper swing teaches good pelvic positioning when standing. It has the capacity to erase the anterior pelvic tilt so often seen in today's population. Anterior pelvic tilt goes hand in hand with inhibited glutes, which leads to excessive adduction of the hip, internal rotation of the tibia, pronation at the foot, and excessive flattening of the medial longitudinal arch of the foot through the stance phase of the gait cycle. Proper gluteal tone and function and a neutral pelvis help correct this, raising the medial longitudinal arch.

Whoa good point!

In terms of cues, There's also using the toes to grip the ground, which strengthens the muscles of the foot. For many people this is likely the first conscious, functional use there toes have ever experienced.

I think the main thing is that much of the developed world, while being shocked at the once upon a time tradition of foot binding in China, practice mild foot binding on ourselves our entire life.

Kettlebell practitioners often practice barefoot, or in flat, hard shoes as a minimum. As a result the feet, free from their casts and under load, actually have a chance to grow strong.

I noticed my balance is a lot better.

I stand up paddle a lot in the summer on rivers and lakes in Alberta, Canada. My feet used to burn like hell. You use so many muscles in your feet to dynamically balance on the board.

Last season my feet were in awesome shape from all the bare foot training with kettlebells.

I'm going to Punta Cana, Domician Republic this Friday for two weeks. Looking forward to lots of surfing and SUP. Its been a few months since I have been in the ocean. I grew up around the ocean and I forget how much I miss it until I am near it again.

Sweet! Your trip sounds great. Yes, I think that's what got me thinking about it, went out for a short SUP paddle yesterday evening, and I felt very grounded to the board. It is paddling season here already on the gulf coast :)

I love SUP also. I only get a few months a year though. It's an awesome total body workout when you really dig.

I Nordic Ski a lot from mid November to early April. I live close to the Canadian Rockies and we have world class sking, mountain biking, climbing, and hiking. XC Sking is also an awesome workout for the whole body and balance. I am very passionate about it. It's the best of hiking and down hill sking, and amazing scenery.

I have covered over 800km this season along with weight training nearly everyday. Still over 240lb though. I eat a lot of high quality food to prevent injury and promote recovery. My wife is amazed how much I eat. She jokes it would be cheaper to get rid of me than feed me.

Nice, I was just talking to someone yesterday about the Canadian Rockies and how they are different from our Rockies. She told me to look up Lake Louise. Wow... beautiful! As far as the food, amazing to think of how the early pioneers kept up those levels of activity without eating nearly as much as we do today, right? Well, good that your food is high quality, though I can see how this could get expensive. :)

Changed my profile pic to the SUP...

Ya Lake Louise is one of my favorite places in the world, amazing mountain sports. Also, a great base to drive the Icefields Parkway, one of National Geographic's best drives. They have the longest snow season also. I have to go there now to ski, it's about 1.5hrs away. Banff is also very nice, and Canmore is just outside the National Park boundary and is much cheaper to stay.

Paddle boarding in Lake Louise is surreal. The blue green water, mountains all around, and the Victoria Glacer above. Very cool.

Ah, Anna....feet. I was obsessed with them during a barefoot running transition a few years back. I've swapped that obsession for different ones at different times and my current obsession is chopping wood. There is so much choice available these days for a mid life crisis, its hard to choose. A mid life crisis was so simple in bygone days....buy a ferrari, get over it, sell the ferrari, back to slippers and gardening. I fear another one coming on....stand up paddle boarding, so don't go giving me any ideas!! Anyway back to feet......I figured chopping wood in minimal shoes to be a bit on the dangerous side so went and got me a pair of steel capped boots. As much as I'm pro minimalism I do like the idea of having 10 toes, so slipping into my steelies was reassuring in that sense. However it was as if I was slightly pissed......sorry, drunk.....you know just a couple of glasses, co-ordination everywhere was lost. My axe swing was chaotic and more dangerous wearing these massive protective boots. I missed the block a few times, something I never did as a rookie lumberjack wearing a nimble pair of feuiyes and there's definately is a loss of connection, a mild paralysis somehow. I wear minimal shoes for training only when it is cold, at all other times it is barefeet for me and these boots really illustrated to me the importance of proprioception and body awareness in doing anything physical. I do like my feet complete with their attached toes so I'm keeping the boots on whilst chopping despite a loss of efficiency and a more cack-handed axe swing. I've never noticed kettlebellers' superior muscularity of their feet but do notice the form of bouncy-bouncy trainers v unshod or minimalist footwear even if the practitioner is experienced there is a loss of communication between lower body and upper body with more core wobble evident, the movement doesn't look quite as graceful and dynamic. There is probably a better neuro-linguistic science-y term for what I'm rather poorly describing.

You haven't run out of wood to chop? Or do you go around offering services, as second job, perhaps? Do you chop evenly left and right? Glad your toes are safe thusfar.

On "core wobble"... yes, on that note, Martine Kerr described a nice cue for reducing the "noise" in the military press in this episode of the Scott Iardella podcast, to pretend you are waist-deep in water, and you don't want to make any ripples in the water. I like that cue. And I'm sure a solid connection from the feet is a key part of that.

This thread reminds me of a book I own...'Meet you body'. If I remember it right, feet and body position / posture is a chapter?! Not sure, though.

@Anna C, that's another podcast for me, thank you.....not when I'm chopping though. No, no, no. Need to absorb myself in the process. It is really a man hobby. New wood stove for middle aged guy with obsessive-addictive tendencies, only one way is was going to go!! It's an odd thing, I've had open fires before in previous homes but never really got immersed into the world of wood chopping before. Maybe it's a calling. There's something very earthy about it, the wood, the smell, the texture, outside, the physical aspect, the sound of a sweet strike, the stacking, the sitting by a fire, a few stretches, the glass of wine. It's a fascinating blend. And yes, left and right strikes. A particularly big or knarly knotty log I usually only go with my stronger side for a first split and then mix it up....the fms at work!

+1 for SUP. Its great for mind and body.
+1 for wood chopping. When it comes to toes. On my old leather trekking boots I had a tiny cut in the toe box to remind me of the time I missed the chopping block to continue the swing to hit a rock right in front of my toe with sparks flying from the axe. Luck.

Good thread, there is so much more to proper full body training that we usually think about!

funny thing happening now that I think about it...
I either do the KB stuff (C&P, swings, snatches, and Double FS) barefoot, or wear minimalist shoes in the winter as the floor is really cold then... At the top of snatches, swings, and C&P I sometimes pause to make a quick assessment of what body part is tensed, it's position etc, quick scan of the body
Now I found out (actually never thought about it) that when I am barefoot I actually subconsciously grip the ground with my toes hard (meaning my body does it without thinking), however even wearing very flat hard wide minimalist shoes I don't grip the ground at all!
Toes stay flat without gripping! Not sure about the reason, but probably the simple fact of putting on shoes changes the subconscious behaviour into not using the feet properly, probably from years of not using them while wearing rubbish shoes!

Strange thing really...

And thanks for reminding me about screwing the feet into the ground, I tend to forget that part!

Agree, coming from kite boarding where I did it mostly barefoot compared to the day I had to use boots because of cold weather.

That day I realized how much information the receptors in the feet was actually reading from the boards movements and vibrations for very important feedback.

Was forced to discard the boots in the water as the conditions was really tricky.

when I am barefoot I actually subconsciously grip the ground with my toes hard (meaning my body does it without thinking), however even wearing very flat hard wide minimalist shoes I don't grip the ground at all!

Thought I'd share this wonderful quote featured in a barefoot running book by Ken Bob. Rather oddly it is from Die Hard, the original 1988 film....

"You want to know the secret of surviving air travel?" says a fellow airline passenger to officer John McClane. " After you get where you're going, take off your shoes and socks. Then walk around and make fists with your toes. I know it sounds crazy. Trust me, I've been doing it for 9 years. Yes sir, better than a shower and a hot cup of coffee"

@Keep Lifting, they are a tai chi martial art shoe from China. A very cheap minimal shoe with a wide toe box. Despite the cheapness they are surprisingly robust. I've had my current pair for 5 years. I ran in them for a while, on and off road. My new pair I bought a year ago as I thought I would need a new pair soon at the time. They are in the cupboard unworn waiting for this pair to fall apart. You can pick them up from martial art shops for 10-15 gbp, I dunno 20 US dollars maybe? But as they've become trendier they can be quite pricey in places, particularly with exclusive colours and go faster stripes. Think basic plimsole. Value for money v barefoot minimal shoes, the best out there in my opinion. For training, it's them or barefoot. Sorry, may want to check spelling, it's feiyue, not as I originally spelt it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom