all posts post new thread

Old Forum The hardest part of S&S...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dave0317

Level 3 Valued Member
Anybody else find that the hardest thing about S&S is it is too simple?
I keep wanting to add or change things. Coming from a crossfit background it is hard to do something so simple. Anybody found a cure for workout ADD?

A park bench workout is just what I needed for the holidays, but I keep finding myself wanting to get back on the bus bench.

That is the beauty of it. This is a good time to work on your patience, discipline, and trust. Trust in the system and let it ride. Instead of adding exercises and wanting to do more, try working on your breathing and mobility.

I had the same thoughts on the ROP when I was training for my level 1 SFG. I wanted to add in or switch exercises and when I finally was smart enough to follow the plan as written, I saw a great increase in strength and work capacity. For example, I did a snatch test to see where I was with the 24kg and I got around 86 reps in 5 minutes. I went back and re-read the ROP program and decided to stick to that for the next few weeks before my next snatch test. I finished all 100 reps in 4:30.

The plan works, you just have to trust it.

best of luck and stick to it!

Can't remember where I read it but there was a joke I saw that went something along the lines of

"If at first you don't succeed, go back and try doing what Pavel said the first time"

After a couple years of battling the itch for random acts of variety, I think it's safe to say how we all want to switch things up and can relate. Stay the course, finish it strong.

You'll be thankful you did.

You're not alone.  I've been on S&S for going on three weeks now, and have come really close to adding this and that and so on.  It is double tough having EADD and sticking with any program, especially the very Spartan ones Pavel creates.  But we should, because they work without fail.   However, like Eric promotes, I think that S&S is helping me get over that.  If you look at my posts, I've been a this and that trainee for a while.

S&S is becoming something of a morning ritual/meditation, and I think Pavel says too look at it like a "daily recharge."

Just stick with and come around here for support.

This forum is quite popular when it comes to adding this or that to whatever program...questions almost daily on this.

Like Eric stated above, it really is that simple and that is the beauty of it. If you stick to the plan, you will see the results.

My whole stance on adding things here or there....if you feel comfortable with it and you aren't sore the next day, then do whatever floats your boat. However don't do it with the program expecting it to still be the program. S&S is a book and a plan that is pretty straight forward on what to do.....swings and getups. Simple....(and Sinister, indeed)

I hate to be this guy but after a week on S&S I added 10 pullups. Keep changing weights and keep changing rep scheme and the plan is moderate. I saw it as an easy strength type program.

Also after a week I did my get ups nonstop and my swings was close to the 5min. Those breathing exercises is the trick. I am thinking that I went to easy when I chose the 32kg but at the moment too easy is just right.

Going back to what Pavel said the first time.  I like that.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I will pledge to stick with it for at least the next six weeks.  And maybe until I hit the "Simple" goal.  At a bodyweight of 135, I don't think hitting the sinister goal will happen in this decade.

I will stay focused.  I will trust the program.  I like a mental challenge.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

-Julius Caesar

David, its very likely if you stick with it.

I weigh between 140-145 and I've nailed a getup with a 44kg and have done 10 one arm beast swings both sides :)

A student of mine one sent me this text "if only my friends would stop living for the thrill of the bus bench and explore the park bench, they'll be hurt less and do better on their bus bench"

I do S&S sometimes with my GS training.  In the book it says it is a GPP program to be added to other athletic goals.  Pavel said it was designed to add a basic strength, mobility, and conditioning program to one's martial arts, tactical, or sports training.

It may not be so much a matter of adding something to S&S (it's not the gospel- it's a 16-minute training routine) as fitting S&S into your goals.  If you are looking for random things to add, it may be that your goals are undefined.  I think it was Dan John who said that real athletes play real sports.  Otherwise, it's just working out.

To the OP, the cure for workout ADD is an event, an entry fee, and a date on the calendar.  Set a date on which you have to show up and perform- a powerlifting meet, a TSC, a kettlebell meet, a race, a fight, a rank test- whatever, and orient your training around your goals.   Then you can add just what you need to S&S, or not- you'll know by your goals.

@ Steeve, in matter of GS and event : 2014 IKSFA in Sydney, the 15 March, are you going to compete this year ?

Sorry, thought you were in Sydney, another Steeve, so you are competing in USA ?
I will fly to USA next year after March to compete, so, see you, may be ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom