all posts post new thread

Old Forum The Joy of Bent Pressing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phil12

Level 8 Valued Member
Thanks Tamer for writing the book that finally got me to learn/do the bent press. I did 40kg (half my bodyweight) the other day and I feel like this, moreso than the heavy TGUs is going to get me to the strict press.  Then I found this horrifying/amazing video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUEpaa2zAmI

Thank you for reading and applying it Phil.

Ollie is a gifted bent presser, for sure.

Wow he made that beast look like a toy lol!!!

I am still working on my Bent Press. Love the book.

This has probably already been asked at least once already, but can bent presses but substituted for either some or all of the getups in S&S?

I realize that changes the program and it is no longer S&S, so let's just get that out of the way.

There's a program in the back of the book called "Bent and Sinister" and you can probably guess at the content, but I'd recommend buying the book and reading it.

I've been working on it myself but I'm only two or three weeks into being serious about bent pressing.

Yes there is a Bent and Sinister but the programming is not as simple as just swapping the Getup for the Bent Press. The kindle version of the Taming the Bent press is pretty cheap on Amazon....

I already bought the book.  Hadn't noticed the program in the back.

i wondered if the TUT and nature of the movements were similar enough to just make the swap, but I will study the book more.  Thanks.

Now that I have reviewed the Bent and Sinister program, it looks like it pretty much is just swapping the getups for bent presses.  The rep count is a little different.  Dave allows for 5-10 reps per side rather than just 5 reps per side, and swings up to 200 rather than just 100.  But other than a few extra reps, I don't see any difference in programming.  Am I missing something here?

I might ask though, is the order of exercises in Bent and Sinister supposed to be bent presses before swings or swings before bent presses?  My guess is "swings first", just like S&S.  Put the powerful, fast, explosive movement before the grind.

Given that it says the swings are the dessert, I assume bent presses and then swings. As to why, you'd have to ask tamer.

My gosh, I bent pressed last night forth sfirst time in a long time. Immediately noticed my posture felt great and my lotsa rebutting today. I will be implementing the bent press more now

I like doing the swings after because i prefer  not to be fatigued before doing bent presses. Same goes for getups.

Question: Has anyone tried alternating Simple and Sinister sessions with Bent and Sinister? I really enjoyed the bent press when I'm doing it, but missed my TGU when I wasn't. I'm wanting to incorporate both into my next cycle of training (just because I enjoy doing them), and with heavy weights. I was thinking just alternating days and increasing weight very slowly.

If this seems like a good idea does anyone have any suggestions for any other supplementary work (I don't mind sticking to swings + grinds though as rock climbing once or twice a week fills in most of my other gaps).

Cheers!

I've been experimenting with doing 10 without setting the bell down. It's fun. I'm no stranger to high rep swings but non-stop bent pressing has it's own particular wretchedness. It demands a lot of focus on quality. 32kg was a stretch, but 24kg was a good tonic session that allowed me to work on my form. It's time for me to back down on the weights a little, so things like this keep it interesting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom