all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Red Zone - old program from Pavel.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi all,

I did a search and could only find two threads on 'The Red Zone', a program Pavel outlined in an interview in 2005: Bodybuilding Success Blueprint: The Red Zone | Iron Man Magazine

In essence, the program is:
  • 5×5 presses per arm
  • 5×10 swings per arm
  • Another 5×5 presses per arm

So in total, it's 25 presses, 100 swings, 25 presses. A strategy is also outlined for when you can't hit the 5 x 5 recommendation with a particular bell by using more sets, less reps.

This program looks like a prototype of both S&S and ROP combined! I'm quite interested in running it because I no longer have time for ROP, which I've been on for three months. It has a similar number of reps across the week, but fewer total sets per workout (10 sets, instead of up to 25 sets on heavy day), plus breaking the sets up with swings will reduce total rest time between so many sets of pressing.

Does anyone have experience running this program? What were your results? I'm hoping it will help me finally bridge up to the 32 bell.

Do you think it would be possible to use difference size bells for both sets of presses? Either a slightly lighter bell for the second set of presses to ensure they stay extremely strict; or, alternatively, using push presses with a heavier bell for the second round, as a kind of assistance exercise?

Do you think it would be possible to use difference size bells for both sets of presses? Either a slightly lighter bell for the second set of presses to ensure they stay extremely strict; or, alternatively, using push presses with a heavier bell for the second round, as a kind of assistance exercise?
Yes. I am sure that two variations would be fine.

In Enter the Kettlebell Plus, Pavel mentions that practicing two pressing variations in one day is an old Russian weightlifting practice. In fact, in ETK+ you are supposed to do two different pressing styles per session - one at the beginning, one at the end. This should work for the Red Zone, too.

Hello,

@Dayz
Here is a thread about RZ:

Kind regards,

Pet'

In Enter the Kettlebell Plus, Pavel mentions that practicing two pressing variations in one day is an old Russian weightlifting practice. In fact, in ETK+ you are supposed to do two different pressing styles per session - one at the beginning, one at the end. This should work for the Red Zone, too.
Thank you! I'd heard that spoken about but had never had an exact source. I've never read ETK+.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that?

I'm doing ETK+ now and it is definitely doable... a squat sandwiched between two press sessions. It does have time, weight and movement variability which helps a lot. For example, first session might be 7 minutes of see-saw presses at see-saw press medium weights and second session might be 5 minutes of C+P at heavy C+P weight. Both sandwiching 9 minutes of DFSQs at medium DFSQ weights. All variabilities decided by dice rolls.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom