all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed The Way to Live?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kidchaos4

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello there Strongfirst community!

You all may remember me from my SOF selection posts. I've finally decided on a template for training which I am using with my other buddies going.

Monday: Kettlebell Work (S&S, Goblet Squats, C&P) & "Easy Endurance Run"
Tuesday: Weighted LSD (Ruck or Weight Vest) & Calisthenics
Wednesday: Swim (Relaxation Swim) & Kettlebell Work
Thursday: Weighted LSD (Ruck of Weight Vest) & Calisthenics
Friday: Kettlebell Work and Swim (Shorter Repeats)
Saturday: Sprints (Hill Sprints or 100-400m repeats)
Sunday: Off

That said, in my reading, I've become interested in George Hackenschmidt's "The Way to Live".

Its a great read, I love the way he writes, very cultured.

Looking at his programs though, he splits them up into 3 separate levels.

First: exercises without weights
Lots of bodyweight movements that are very light. They seem like the type of movements used just for general fitness and for people with certain limitations.

Second: exercises without weights
This is what interests me the most. The exercises are split up into a few different series for different body parts. Theres a lot of overhead lifting and curling. Yes, curling. I've read from Dan John before that he thinks the curl has been maligned, and I have to agree.

Hackenschmidt recommends submaximal loads, going up to 10 reps at most. My questions about this is how often would you do them, would you repeat the series?

Third: exercise for athletes
This is very much like easy strength. heavy exercises for low reps, never to exhaustion. Theres a dumbell swing, lots of overhead lifting and some heavy curls.

Whats your opinion on the book?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom