all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on comparing SFG I to martial arts?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
This might be a silly question, but I think a fun one.

My son is a Shotokan Karate student. His sensei is first Dan black belt, very knowledgeable and a great instructor, both communicating the concepts, training people well and safely. He is highly skilled at executing the techniques. He's very focused, always training and learning. He's not quick to progress students until their technique and focus are appropriate for the rank they're grading for.

Mastery, execution, and quality instruction-wise, how would you rank the SFG I certified girevik via something like a MA style belt grading system? Been musing about it just for fun. :)

Last edited:
This might be a silly question, but I think a fun one.

My son is a Shotokan Karate student. His sensei is first Dan black belt, very knowledgeable and a great instructor, both communicating the concepts, training people well and safely. He is highly skilled at executing the techniques. He's very focused, always training and learning. He's not quick to progress students until their technique and focus are appropriate for the rank they're grading for.

Mastery, execution, and quality instruction-wise, how would you rank the SFG I certified girevik via something like a MA style belt grading system? Been musing about it just for fun. :)
Well the first thing that comes to mind is standards...
SF has a pretty well defined and tight set of standards that from what I can tell is pretty homogeneous and uniform.

'Martial Arts' schools are all over the map with respect to standards. No offense to anyone but Karate seems to be one of the 'worst offenders'. I have seen dozens of strip mall 'Dojo's' that are black belt mills... handing out black belts to kids that are 7 or 8 years old.

Are they all like that? No. There are some excellent schools out there, that would rival or beat SF standards...

Well the first thing that comes to mind is standards...
SF has a pretty well defined and tight set of standards that from what I can tell is pretty homogeneous and uniform.

'Martial Arts' schools are all over the map with respect to standards. No offense to anyone but Karate seems to be one of the 'worst offenders'. I have seen dozens of strip mall 'Dojo's' that are black belt mills... handing out black belts to kids that are 7 or 8 years old.

Are they all like that? No. There are some excellent schools out there, that would rival or beat SF standards...
Thanks for responding I think that's a valid point. The reason I prefaced with my son's sensei and his style is he seems to embody what I think of as a black belt with his focus, expertise and teaching ability along with the strict standards of form and execution. The first day of class he warned the students that should they want to earn a black belt, it would take at least 5 years of dedication, not because it was a requirement but it was his experience.

Like I said, musing but still curious what you guys think.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom