all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Timing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adrian

Level 1 Valued Member
Good afternoon everyone. I have a question with timing of S&S. I know that there is a recommended time limit on the program but I love working out in the morning slowly as a way to ease into the day. My question is would I be able to do the S&S program in a 45 to 55 minute window and get good results. Thanks for your guys time. Adrian.

I'll let someone else with more experience give you the more complete answer, but it's my understanding that you shouldn't work to a clock except on days when you test yourself. I typically take about 45 minutes for a session when I'm not pushing.

I still time all my sessions, but mostly because I'm curious how a given level of effort feels at a given amount of time. I'm definitely *not* racing the clock on the average day.

Thanks. Bud. I love the minimal approach to the the program and can complete the workout in the suggested times but as part of my morning routine as easing in to the day and setting a good tone for my day. It's almost as a therapeutic and meditative way to begin my day by going slow. I'm wondering if I'm sacrificing important gains or minimizing gains in streangth by completing the workout slowly. Again thanks for all the help.

@Adrian No recommend time limit for S&S. I personally prefer to keep my practice moving at a moderate to quick pace of 45 mins max. Here is a sample:

*Mobility Drills (15 mins)
*Swings and Getups (20 mins)
*Cooldown (10 mins)

@Adrian, training like this (I mean as @natewhite39 described) is not doing the protocol (swings and Turkish get ups) is not working slowly: 20 minutes of S&S when not testing is a respectable pace! :)

I bet that yes, you're going to see results. :) (in fact, you said that with a full effort you can hit the time standards, so your way seems to work for you)

@natewhite39 : what kind of cool down do you use? I have the DVD of Fast and Loose, but most of the time I just continue into my day after S&S.

@Jan

For my Cooldown, I typically perform a variety of basic yoga movements as well as a few joint mobility drills for the neck, shoulders, elbows and hips. Nothing complicated, but necessary in my opinion to keep my training volume up.

@wespom9 what I mean - an hour should be enough, and "no hurry" is one of the main principles for improvement, both short term (session) and long term (whole SAS journey). My SAS takes usually shorter time, but - I do the stretches in the end of the day, not after my SAS training.

Good afternoon everyone. I have a question with timing of S&S. I know that there is a recommended time limit on the program but I love working out in the morning slowly as a way to ease into the day. My question is would I be able to do the S&S program in a 45 to 55 minute window and get good results. Thanks for your guys time. Adrian.
I've done exactly this many a time! Yes, I enjoy the "meditative" aspect - the heart is beating, I'm feeling my blood pulse through my whole body cleaning it and reinvigourating it. My mind is refreshed and energized. I even sometimes read a book between sets of S&S!!! Ah yes, morning S&S on a holiday!

Hmm, interesting perspectives here. I also do a morning workout, but I like it to be short and crisp--One of the things I liked about S&S was the high level of general fitness promised--and delivered!-- in a fairly short time period.

I always kept my swings moving right along, and tried to compress a bit every day or three. This was before a lot of the A+A recommendations were widely posted here, so I may have been going a bit too fast, actually. TGUs were always a relatively easier movement for me, and I rarely needed the full 10 minutes, even when going up in weight. By the time I could get to Simple in swings with the 32K, I was doing the 40K for 8 reps, just to keep progressing.

@Jan

For my Cooldown, I typically perform a variety of basic yoga movements as well as a few joint mobility drills for the neck, shoulders, elbows and hips. Nothing complicated, but necessary in my opinion to keep my training volume up.

Thanks Nate. I have not done yoga in years, and feel a bit unsure in the extreme bending of the back. Mine is already rather weak, and easily strained.
Best stay with joint mobility exercises I guess :)

@Jan Yoga / Stretching can be scalable to your current level of ability very easily, no need for extreme bending. Here are 2 resources you may find helpful for your daily practice:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have all four (not bragging ) and they have all helped me immensely. I really believe that Foundation Training is an excellent compliment to S&S. The fundamental movement in Foundation Training is the "founder" which is a hip hinge. Sound familiar?

I personally always set a timer for one minute and took one minute breaks after my swing sets. I reasoned when one minute became 'easy' it was time to compress.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom