all posts post new thread

Old Forum Tips for lat activation during bench press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,

I tried bench pressing today for the first time in probably 10 years and I found that I'm having trouble activating the left lat. As long as the lat is engaged it feels fine but, after a couple of reps, it kind of turns off and I can feel discomfort and unsolidness in my shoulder. Pushups are the same way.

Are there any tips for keeping the lat activated during pressing movements?

Thanks.

Bend the bar for the bench, see BBB.

Corkscrew maneauver for pushups, see NW.

I was just experimenting with the corkscrew pushups and the stick breaking drill from NW and am really having trouble "getting" it. Maybe it will just take practice?

The left side has been really hard for me to activate in general. I've been experimenting with different exercises to try to get the left lat (and armpit muscles in general) more active. I'll do an exercise on the right side first to see how it's supposed to feel and then try to do it the same way on the left. It's getting better but it's frustrating and I could use any tips people can offer.

Thanks.

One lat activation I like is to stand with your back a few inches from the wall, chest up and hands facing the wall. You push your hands into the wall, keeping your arms straight and locked out. This always activated the lats pretty well for me. In terms of benching specifically it helps for me to keep my shoulders down and back, pushing the shoulder blades into the pad.

Chris, we teach a special partner drill at SFG.  Benching with a false grip (thumbless) will teach you.  Use a light weight and good spotter or be ready for a dental bill.

Floor presses as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom