all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Toot your horn!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I wanted to ensure all the members appreciate some of the achievements of the other members. Many of you are too modest; please take a moment to highlight some of your performance PRs (competitively, professionally, personally). To start I'll ask @Steve Freides to mention his DL record.

I wanted to ensure all the members appreciate some of the achievements of the other members. Many of you are too modest; please take a moment to highlight some of your performance PRs (competitively, professionally, personally). To start I'll ask @Steve Freides to mention his DL record.
I have a number of DL and even 3-lift records over the years in various federations. I think I hold 14 AWA records, some world and some US, some AAU, etc. My most recent achievement is the NJ State record for Raw, M60-64, 66 kg in the deadlift.

-S-

After doing A+A snatches for a couple years (starting with 24 kg), I can do a few snatches with a 40 kg 'bell at a bodyweight of of 72 kg, so that's 55% of my bodyweight. If you had asked me a few years back if I would be able to do that, or would be snatching a 32 kg 'bell on a regular basis, I would have been very skeptical. Nothing too crazy, but it makes me happy.

I am probably in the best shape of my life (mid 40s) when considering multiple domains. Meaning, I have probably the best combination of strength, flexibility/mobility, endurance, and weight. In other words, I was a bit stronger once, but I was heavier with less endurance. I’ve had better aerobic speed, but weaker. In both cases flexibility and mobility were worse.

I don’t have great data to go on, but I know my SQ and BP are close to PRs, DL is because I never trained it till recently, BW PU and dips are better than ever, same with swings. I haven’t been focused on endurance training for awhile, but my endurance and average speed is not that far off from when I’ve been racing. My flexibility and mobility as measured by what I can do with the Ashtanga primary series is as good as it’s been.

All this happened in a year. I was very detrained last summer. But thanks to what I’ve learned from Pavel, DJ, Maffetone, and Jois, I got back on track.

YMMV

In the past 3 years I have accomplished the following at 160lbs: (10 years of training built up to these goals)

· A strict KB press with the 40 kg left and right
· 405 lb deadlift (long time goal)
· The sinister goal
· 24 kg snatch test (long time goal)
· 110 lb barbell side press left and right
· 320 LB farmers carries (160 lbs each hand)
· 30 strict tactical pull ups
· 5 strict OAOL pushups left and right

2018 was the year I finally make progress getting past some injuries.

~Two years ago I couldn't press #5 dumbbell without pain and now pressing 20KG pain free. My TGUs have gone from #5 to 24kg pain free.
~Threes years ago swings were 100% off the table and now I can two-hand swing the 32kg.

I am excited to see what I can accomplish in 2019!

I’ve always struggled with shoulder injuries and lack of pressing strength. Over the years, briefly, during peaks, I’ve been able to *just* press 24kg.

In the past month I’ve tested 24kg x 3 and 28kg x 1 on both sides, and my shoulders have been pain free for a couple months now.

Nothing special, but very important to me. First of many improvements to my press and shoulder health this year I hope.

I owe these improvements almost entirely to following @Al Ciampa ’s A+A snatch protocols, with hardly any pressing. Double front squats, dips and GTG bottom up pressing also seemed to help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom