all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Top of Pullup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Heyjude

Level 4 Valued Member
I can do pullups for reps if I only need to get chin above bar. But if trying to do the standard for tactical pullup I'm having trouble holding/pausing at top and touching my neck to bar. Can only touch underside of chin and even then I feel like I will knock some teeth loose.

What I've tried so far:

1. One pullup every 5 minutes or so as I work from home. Squeeze at top and if I can't touch bar, just hold for 2 seconds.
2. inverted rows

Will the magic KB help develop the needed upperback strength?
Other progressions?

Thanks,

Jude

Two things that helped me with that same problem, from Chief SFB Karen Smith:
  • Practice static holds in that position - get yourself on the bar with a chair or other method, and hold for several seconds at a time with your neck touching the bar (use leg on chair for a tiny bit of assistance if needed, got that idea here on the forum)
  • At that part of the pull-up, focus on driving your elbows down and back.

A big +1 to both @Anna C's suggestions. You need to build strength in that top position and that's tough to do if you're never there.

Another way to do this - have a training partner give you a little boost to the top position and help hold you there. Over time, try to do more of the work yourself, and even at the beginning, have the training partner do just enough to get you there and not more. You need a good training partner for this.

-S-

Big thank you to Anna and Steve! Will do. I don't have a training partner at home but I do have a plyo box to stand on and some resistance bands to stand on to assist me with that ending position.

I'm usually not a big fan of resistance bands for pull-ups, but for an application such as this, they can provide that 'little bit extra' at the top position. The only drawback is lack of adjustability.

@Heyjude If you do use the bands and need to make adjustments in resistance/assistance you can tuck your legs towards your chest, thus decreasing the stretch and assistance. You lose the hollow body position but the goal is to work the top hold so it'll be ok.

The second point from @Anna C needs about a hundred +1s... That skill will help with pull-ups (getting your neck to the bar and strength in general) and -- should you ever decide to work on them -- muscle-ups.

Along the same topic. Secret Service Counter-Assault Teams - Wikipedia

Had to dig deeper for the standards.

Among the requirements, CAT applicants must be able to run fast – a mile and a half in about 9 minutes – and be strong – three pullups in a 45-pound weight vest, for example. CAT agents must be mentally sharp, and skillful with heavy weapons. They must endure stress tests designed to rattle their aim. Bongino said, for instance, that a typical test could require an agent to sprint a quarter-mile, then pick up a gun and hit a target; or swing a 50-pound kettlebell dozens of times, then put it down and fire.

Everything you need to know about CAT, the Secret Service’s baddest bad boys

Hello,

@Boosh32
Thanks ! It could be an interesting challenge to burn a little fat during and after Christmas eh h

Kind regards,

Pet'

I can do pullups for reps if I only need to get chin above bar. But if trying to do the standard for tactical pullup I'm having trouble holding/pausing at top and touching my neck to bar. Can only touch underside of chin and even then I feel like I will knock some teeth loose.

What I've tried so far:

1. One pullup every 5 minutes or so as I work from home. Squeeze at top and if I can't touch bar, just hold for 2 seconds.
2. inverted rows

Will the magic KB help develop the needed upperback strength?
Other progressions?

Thanks,

Jude

@Anna C - thank for sharing, and agree these are some of the best way to improve the top of the pull up.
@Heyjude - quick question, how wide is your pull up grip? This can play a roll in not being able to get high on the bar (next or chest). I just posted about this in another thread. If your grip is wide, much past shoulder width grip, your traps will take over and cause you to shrug and the elbows will not be able drive down and back as Anna recommended. Hence just getting chin ear bar but not very high over it.
If you would like, post a video here or send to my email and I would be happy to assess for you.
Karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom