all posts post new thread

Old Forum Torso angle with one-arm swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Telegramsam

Level 2 Valued Member
I have noticed that when I swing, my torso twists slightly so that the shoulder on the side I am holding the bell is nearer to the ground than the 'inactive side'. Here is a  guy from the 'other place' who is doing the same in the still at 0.06 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQO1vrLfsE

Is this something we should seek to eliminate? I would imagine that oblique activation is lower if we twist in this way?

Yes, eliminate. That's why the one-arm swing is preferred over the two-arm version. You acting against what the kettlebell is trying to do (twist you) takes skill and strength.

A fix for this: at the top of your swing, use your free arm and just touch the top of your other hand.

Arryn, spoken like a new SFG, eh?  Congratulations!!!  So how was it?  Did you get a lot out of it?  Did you feel like you had prepared well?  Mine is coming up in 7 short weeks...

(sorry to hijack your thread, Sam ;))

Anna, haha I suppose you're right. And thank you! It was great. I had a lot of fun and the knowledge that they pass on is tremendous. I think what I got most out of it were the correctives and helpful cues. I was apparently prepared well enough, despite my feelings of regret and doubt the few days leading up to it. (I did S&S for a long time prior, and only for the 6 weeks right before I did Brett Jones' prep program.) I was most worried about the snatch test, but I followed their instructions and I got it done with relative ease.

I think you'll do great! Let us know how your cert goes too.

Good to hear!  There are some GREAT photos of y'all on the SF Facebook page, BTW.   Looks like it was quite intense, but also a lot of fun.

Telegram Sam, with a heavy enough weight, you can't eliminate it completely, but try.

-S-

Thanks, Steve. Am only on a 24kg and *think* I managed it in the session just now. I have decided to go back to the S & S swings/getups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom