all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training certification opinions/recommendations

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
Greetings SF community,

I haven't been a trainer in a few years, since the fallout of the pandemic forced literally everyone I knew with a gym space to close. I am currently in university for physics, but would still like to keep training a part of my life, as it was very rewarding when I did it. As such, I have been thinking about trying to get back into it, just as a side-gig, part time endeavor.

I don't know when it might happen, as I currently don't have contacts with gym space to rent, or clients to speak of.... but I thought I would ask for thoughts here. I know not all gyms require certifications, but they certainly open a lot more doors.

I used to have the NASM personal trainer cert, but took the test in the summer of 2020, literally right before everyone started having to close their gyms. I wasn't able to renew it due to being preoccupied with schooling. I might have some extra time this coming summer, and depending on things, might like to get another cert, if I can renew some contacts or hobble some kind of personal-training plan together. Training has always been a big part of my life, and it makes me kind of sad to think about just training myself, and not being able to spread knowledge I have accrued.

My question is: other than SF certs, which I know a number of you have, do you have an opinion on the other, no-degree-required certifications? My NASM cert expired, and it wouldn't be too difficult to get it again, but to be frank, I wasn't that impressed with the content. By the time I was studying their book, I knew a great deal of the material already, just from prior self-education. I would be looking for something general, as I don't currently consider myself "specialized" in any kind of training.

Curious if anyone has or had a general cert, how useful they found it, and/or if they felt it was worth the cost.

Thanks in advance

I used to have the NASM personal trainer cert, but took the test in the summer of 2020, literally right before everyone started having to close their gyms. I wasn't able to renew it due to being preoccupied with schooling.
You might ask them about renewing it, especially since it expired during the pandemic if I follow your dates correctly - certifying organizations do sometimes make exceptions.

I wasn't that impressed with the content.
Having achieved the NSCA personal trainer cert 20+ years ago, and then later having looked into at least one other, I haven't been favorably impressed with any I've come into contact with. I very much recall, when taking my first test, trying to decide between the answer I knew to be correct and the answer I knew they wanted on their multiple choice test.

All active members of StrongFirst leadership are required to also have a more 'mainstream' cert like the ones you're considering - you might see about getting that list. Use the Contact Us button at the bottom of any forum or website page here to ask about that or email contact at strongfirst dot com.

And last but not least, please do consider achieving one or more StrongFirst certifications at or around the same time. For some places, e.g., some of our StrongFirst Affiliated Gyms, those might be a requirement as well.

-S-

SF cert requirements are inspirations for me if not goals, and SF certified coaches are really good. Top of mind comes probably 15-20 SF coaches that you can’t go wrong with any indeed. (Am sure number is much higher, those are the ones that I am aware and bought programs etc) Other than SF, the only other organization that I am aware of which their certification is serious is GMB, they have a program called apprenticeship. Not as clear requirements in public as SF, it is more a program that they require attendees to participate online sessions and it is an intense and no BS program. Knowing their approach, I believe they are legit.

Greetings SF community,

I haven't been a trainer in a few years, since the fallout of the pandemic forced literally everyone I knew with a gym space to close. I am currently in university for physics, but would still like to keep training a part of my life, as it was very rewarding when I did it. As such, I have been thinking about trying to get back into it, just as a side-gig, part time endeavor.

I don't know when it might happen, as I currently don't have contacts with gym space to rent, or clients to speak of.... but I thought I would ask for thoughts here. I know not all gyms require certifications, but they certainly open a lot more doors.

I used to have the NASM personal trainer cert, but took the test in the summer of 2020, literally right before everyone started having to close their gyms. I wasn't able to renew it due to being preoccupied with schooling. I might have some extra time this coming summer, and depending on things, might like to get another cert, if I can renew some contacts or hobble some kind of personal-training plan together. Training has always been a big part of my life, and it makes me kind of sad to think about just training myself, and not being able to spread knowledge I have accrued.

My question is: other than SF certs, which I know a number of you have, do you have an opinion on the other, no-degree-required certifications? My NASM cert expired, and it wouldn't be too difficult to get it again, but to be frank, I wasn't that impressed with the content. By the time I was studying their book, I knew a great deal of the material already, just from prior self-education. I would be looking for something general, as I don't currently consider myself "specialized" in any kind of training.

Curious if anyone has or had a general cert, how useful they found it, and/or if they felt it was worth the cost.

Thanks in advance
I don’t really think any of the personal training Certs are worth much. They give you a credential that can get you hired by a gym, that’s about it. That's both worth a lot ... and not much.

Certs like what SF has are useful in terms of making sure you are proficient in the movement and giving you a starting point for teaching them to others.

Certs like PN1 (precision nutrition) are useful because they introduce a lot of behavior change, but the actual nutrition info is pretty standard. Nothing wrong with that, it’s good info, just pretty basic.

If you’re looking at personal or professional development, I’d look for a skill you want to learn and find somewhere that does hands on work. If you want to become better at coaching people... Nothing compares to actually coaching people.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

I very much recall, when taking my first test, trying to decide between the answer I knew to be correct and the answer I knew they wanted on their multiple choice test.
This very much mirrors my experience. I am somewhat sad to say it is also part of the reason I left the exercise science program. I could tell I was going to disagree with a significant portion of what I would be told. Had I not developed an interest in math and physics, I probably would've just switched to biology with an emphasis in human physiology.

I don’t really think any of the personal training Certs are worth much. They give you a credential that can get you hired by a gym, that’s about it. That's both worth a lot ... and not much.
Yeah that's part of my dilemma. I would like to get back into the training space again, but I don't have a network anymore, so I would have to get hired somewhere generic. If I had the time and extra money, I would join another gym and try to work there after a time; that's how I got my old gig. But being a university student means I have limited time to pursue something.

Just considering some things. thanks again everyone.

Personal Training Certifications

As I am sure you know, reputable gyms require you have one of the...

Big 5 Personal Training Certifications

1) National Strength and Conditioning, NSCA

2) National Academy of Sports Medicine, NASM

3) American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM

4) American Council On Exercise, ACE

5) International Sport Science Association, ISSA

Usefulness of These Certifications

1) Reputable Gym usually will hire you if you have one of them.

Essentially, one of these certification essentially Pre-Approves" as being qualified. .

Having one of the Big 5 enables the gym to put you under their insurance.

Being hired with other Personal Training Certifications is iffy.

2) Individual with one of the Big 5 can purchase Personal Trainers Insurance.

Some gyms allow you to be an Independent Contract, as you have. You rent space from the for let's say $500.00 a month.

Being an Independent Contractor allows you to keep what you make rather than getting smaller percentage for the gym you are working for.

If you are you are an Independent Contractor, you will need to provide proof that you have Personal Trainer's Insurance.

To reiterate, the usefulness mean you are essentially "Pre-Approved" for employment with a club.

NASM.. I wasn't able to renew it due to being preoccupied with schooling.

Continuing Education Credits/Units

As I remember in a conversation with you a few years ago, you were short on obtaining enough Continuing Education Credits/Units to recertify.

For future reference, you might have been able to obtain some Continuing Education Credits/Units from some of you school cources; dependent on what they were.

You might ask them about renewing it,
Not Likely

If a certification just recently expired, the might consider it, if an individual was just a few Continuing Education Credit/Short could be completed it quickly.

With that in said, it doesn't hurt to ask but...
My NASM...but to be frank, I wasn't that impressed with the content.
Certification and College Degrees

They ensure individual have some qualification in whatever the field is.

They are your entry ticket into whatever that field is and provide a knowledge base to learn more.

Unfortunately, many individuals believe getting a Certification or Degree is where learning end.

Instead it is the beginning of the journey that never ends; which is up each individual.

My Job

I have a C.S.C.S. Certification with the National Strength and Conditioning Association.

It is often usefully in my Commercial Fitness Equipment Sale job when calling on Schools, Colleges and some Physical Therapy Clinics.

Certification and College Degrees

They ensure individual have some qualification in whatever the field is.

They are your entry ticket into whatever that field is and provide a knowledge base to learn more.
Ah yes, the "expensive piece of paper to prove I know what I am doing." Jokes aside, I agree. My main frustration was that these certs, as well as some of the things taught in the university, are not as well-supported by evidence as some would have you believe.

unpopular opinion.
If you are doing it as a side hustle let your skill and physique attract clients. While a cert is nice it isn't needed
As Kenny put it above, I think the main usefulness is that it shows you have learned something about what you want to do. But in general, I also agree with you. I have met sucessful trainers, and see them frequently online, who don't hold a certification. Some never got one, and their knowledge is "home grown;" they learned by doing and by learning from other successful people. Some had a cert and didn't bother to renew it for the same sorts of reasons that were touched on above.

My main frustration was that these certs, as well as some of the things taught in the university, are not as well-supported by evidence as some would have you believe.
Knowledge Is A Fluid Environment

That because information keeps changing.

As you state some of the information they are teaching is out dated.

I constantly have to relearn information. That because new research demonstrates the old data was based incomplete information and that there something more effective.

I have met sucessful trainers, and see them frequently online, who don't hold a certification. Some never got one, and their knowledge is "home grown;" they learned by doing and by learning from other successful people.

Self Taught With Practical Experience

There are definitely are some knowledgeable individual who don't have a certificate.

There are individuals with certificate that are clueless.

Cooks and Chiefs

I previously posted information from an article that equated Coaches as either Cooks or Chief.

Are you a cook or a chef?
https://srh.agency/dispatch/are-you-a-cook-or-a-chef#:~:text=The%20cook%20follows%20recipes%20%E2%80%93%20reasoning,wouldn't%20even%20dream%20about.

1710923847622.png
The cook follows recipes – reasoning by analogy.

The chef invents recipes – reasoning by first principles. Using raw ingredients and remixing them in a new way.

Coaches That Are Cooks

These coaches provide you a Workout Plan that has a history of working.

These coaches don't have the Knowledge, Practical Experience or Analytical Skills.

The "Recipe Workout Plan" is where for Novice and some Intermediate Lifter.

First you need to learn the rule of what works before you learn when you can break rules.

Coaches That Are Chief

These coaches know when to break the rules and methods to overcome Sticking Point and ensure progress.

These coaches have the Knowledge, Practical Experience and Analytical Skills to figure it out.

Bearnus

His post is a great example of his ability to analyze his training and determine what might work.

Dr. Andy Galpin

In one of Galpin's interviews, he went it to solving an athlete's issue.

It took about a year for Galpin to figure it out and resolve it.

Einstein at times struggle with solving problems, as he put it..

"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."

Finding out what works often involves eliminating what doesn't work, until you find what does.

Last edited:
If you are doing it as a side hustle let your skill and physique attract clients. While a cert is nice it isn't needed
Not A Good Idea

An individual prescribing Training and Training information to a client can be held liable if something goes wrong.

To avert that issue, Personal Trainers need to be self insured or insured by the gym they work for.

Insurance Companies will not insure a Personal Trainer unless they are Certified.

That also applies having a having other type of Certifications; Driver's License to operate a car, Board Certified Medical Physicians to practice medicine, etc.

unpopular opinion.
While I generally agree with this, I think having even just 1-2 certs will help especially if you're an independent since some gyms like to have a background check on independents before they are allowed to practice in the facility

unpopular opinion.
I don't think that is unpopular at all. I'd almost call that the instagramification of personal training, but let's be honest - that's been the way of gym life for a long time.

However, I also think it is completely wrong. Someone's ability to get results, to coach, or to program has very little to do with their attractiveness or if they themselves can move well. There may be overlap... and there may not.

It is about as reliable as that paper cert...

Some personal trainers work out of commercial gyms, and some of those places won't allow this if the trainer doesn't have a mainstream cert, even though the trainer is not an employee of the gym.

-S-

let... physique attract clients.
A Lack of Good Sense

Many individual base their selection of a Personal Trainer on how they look.

Individuals who do so, lack good sense and are clueless.

As per...

Someone's ability to get results, to coach, or to program has very little to do with their attractiveness
Strength Training Coaches

The same is true for many individuals who chose a Strength Coach based on how much they lift.

Genetics

Many individual with nice physiques and strong are naturally gifted.

They are essentially Super Reponders. Just about anything and everything works for them.

Gifted Athletes

Gifted Athletes usually are poor coaches.

They can "Just Play".

Good Coaches/Personal Trainers

They are usually over achievers.

Their success due being able analyze training information and prescribe a effective, well written program.

They are the Strength or Bodybuilding "Chefs" (Post 11 above) of Training.

Individual who judge a Personal Trainer by how they look or a Strength Coaches by how much they lifer are Id...s.

If that criteria we applied, no Pro Football Team would have ever hired...

Vince Lombardi

A fat old guy who never played Pro Football

A Lack of Good Sense

Many individual base their selection of a Personal Trainer on how they look.

Individuals who do so, lack good sense and are clueless.

As per...

Strength Training Coaches

The same is true for many individuals who chose a Strength Coach based on how much they lift.

Genetics

Many individual with nice physiques and strong are naturally gifted.

They are essentially Super Reponders. Just about anything and everything works for them.

Gifted Athletes

Gifted Athletes usually are poor coaches.

They can "Just Play".

Good Coaches/Personal Trainers

They are usually over achievers.

Their success due being able analyze training information and prescribe a effective, well written program.

They are the Strength or Bodybuilding "Chefs" (Post 11 above) of Training.

Individual who judge a Personal Trainer by how they look or a Strength Coaches by how much they lifer are Id...s.

If that criteria we applied, no Pro Football Team would have ever hired...

Vince Lombardi

A fat old guy who never played Pro Football

Arrigo Sacchi said it best: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Physical attraction and strength level are definitely bonus point. And it's great when someone have it. No doubt. Only becoming problem when that's only thing that people care about when choosing a PT/coaching service.

But again, many pt/coaches have great strength/physique AND knowledge; AND their marketing are ONLY about how great they look/how strong they are.

Arrigo Sacchi said it best: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."
Yeah Italian coaches are like that. Now we have Sacchi.
But again, we have great coaches who also great players. Zizou. Beckenbauer.

unpopular opinion.
Vehemently disagree. N=1. Your own physique or strength has nothing to do with assessment, analysis, coaching, etc. and using your own strategies of personal success can actively make someone worse off.

I can't stand in the exercise world why people claim certs aren't necessary. Try doing this in any other field and let me know how it goes.
Trainers love to claim "I don't have a Kin degree" or "NSCA/ACSM/whatever is bullshit, I don't need that". Horrible attitude. If you know so much, why don't you just take the test and prove it?

In Canada we have CSEP. If in the States, I'd say get ACSM or NSCA depending on your target population.

Sure, some coaches with degrees and certs are garbage, and there are intelligent people who don't have that. But it's about probabilities. The chances of a random person knowing enough to train someone appropriately is minimal. Someone with a degree and cert may not be the best but there's a good chance they have foundational knowledge to help many people.

end of rant.

Back
Top Bottom