all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training for SFG Level I

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jlockhart

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey all,

I'm currently an HKC instructor and plan on attending the first SFG Level I cert in march. Ive re-started my training with the ROP program and am currently training with a 20kg for ladders and 24 for heavy cleans/get ups. My question is how to integrate doubles into my training to get ready for the Level I requirements. My plan was to work up to 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 with the 24 and then re-start the ladders with doubles.

Also, I've seen a few programs designed to prepare specifically for the snatch test, and am curious about whether or not I should try to integrate any of that, or just stick strictly to ROP.

How is everyone else planning on training for this?

I think your plan is a good start. There are others here that can give you better training advice but really my advice is...prepare mentally. The physical aspect is obviously important as you need to definitely be strong to get SFG certified, however getting through that last 5-10 snatches or presses is all about mind over body!

Bumping this old thread with an update/question...

After eliminating most of the over-training I was doing on my variety days, I noticed big leaps in my strength gains. I had previously "owned" the 20kg, so my jump to the 24 went very smoothly.

Last Saturday I hit my first successful 5 ladders of [1,2,3,4,5] with pullups and ~60sec rest times with the 24kg. Following my original plan I want to re-start the ladders from [1,2,3] with doubles in the coming weeks (probably after New Year's as I'd like an extra week to practice singles).

Has anyone done the ROP program with double bells successfully? Since so much of the SFG cert is focused on doubles, I figured I would work the program the same, except for presses and swings use double 24kg, Easy snatches with a single 24kg, and variety days practice my TGU's and double front squats.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks for the input Pavel.

Would you recommend a change in program? or continued work in the ROP with lower volume doubles practice on variety days?

So keeping the chief's words in mind, here's something an idea I was kicking around. Given I am a noob compared to the vast majority of you on this forum, so please feel free to criticize/critique in whatever way you feel appropriate.

I was thinking of a modified program which would cut the ladders out of the ROP so that one could add double bells and still stick with the time-tested heavy/medium/light formula. Basically if we programmed 5 sets instead of ladders, and kept rep ranges low it would cut the volume by 50% on light days, and up to 75% on heavy days. My idea would look like this:

Day 1: Light

5 sets of double C+P (1 clean, multiple presses)
2 reps less per set than heavy day

Easy Snatch: 60-70% effort for time determined by dice

Day 2: Variety

Double Front Squat Practice

Day 3: Medium

5 sets of double C+P (a clean before each press)
1 rep lower than heavy day

Medium double swings: 70-80% effort

Day 4: Variety

Heavy TGU Practice

Day 5: Rest

Day 6: Heavy

5 sets of double C+P (clean before each press)
goal: 5 sets of 5-8reps

Heavy Double Swings: Max effort (dice roll for time)

This would make the heaviest workload in a week 5 sets of 5-8 reps of double C+P, for a total of 25-40 reps, as opposed to the 75 involved in 5 ladders of [1,2,3,4,5] in the ROP program.

I'd love some feed back on this, even if that feedback is "shut up and stick to the regular ROP" ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom