all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training for the military

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sinclair424

First Post
I'm active duty military and I need to have decent levels of endurance for running and I need to have good reserves of strength. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to program for running and lifting or will Strong First have an endurance program out in the near future?

I'm active duty military and I need to have decent levels of endurance for running and I need to have good reserves of strength. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to program for running and lifting or will Strong First have an endurance program out in the near future?
I retired about 1.5 years ago. A little history would help, what service, what's your job, ect... I would start S&S to begin with as nearly everyone on here that has done it has made great improvements in general preparedness. Swings nearly daily helped me a ton with my Navy PFA runs. Being only a 1.5 mile run the daily cardio developed from the swings and the loading of the glutes and hamstrings from the swings made the run a breeze. Long run you would/should add a real push and pull such kb shoulder presses alternated or run as a ladder with pull ups. TGU just don't cut it as far as a heavy push to me, you can still do them but every other day I would do shoulder presses for 5 x 10 per arm and doing a set of pull ups every few sets. If you are in pretty serious shape you can run ROP, that would tie all this together.

You might want to consider Tactical Barbell. Some pretty helpful ideas in there on how to integrate strength training with active duty military/ leo etc demands. Most of what I've read there is complementary to what you'll see here imo. Several different templates to think about depending on your sitch (as my teenage daughter would say) and also some thoughts on how to put things together longer term to maintain the qualities you need for your job.

Easy Strength by Pavel and Dan John also a great resource - I roughly think of military guys as what they refer to as quadrant III athletes. QIII is about balance which is, I think, how you have to think about it. Truly awesome book but you need to be patient and commit to reading the relevant parts and really thinking about the content and ideas. I think it can raise you overall fitness IQ, so to speak, more so than most of what's out there but it's not a cookbook approach. There's an acquaintance of Pavel's, call sign Victor, who's referenced in several places in the book and has written an article (see article section here) - pretty inspirational and very thoughtful in his approach.

I guess one clarifying thought: it can be very simple - but you have to put in the time to understand and have faith in why it can be simple. Absent that, very easy to fall victim to the lethal tendencies to program-hop and/or over-complicate.

The StrongFirst All-Terrain Conditioning special program could be helpful. Strong Endurance was my first thought but it looks like it isn't on the schedule in the near future.

There's an acquaintance of Pavel's, call sign Victor, who's referenced in several places in the book and has written an article (see article section here) - pretty inspirational and very thoughtful in his approach.
Can you (or someone else) provide a link to this article, please?

Thanks.

-S-

Generic PTTP 2.0 template:
- Warm up like PTTP (2x5, or as Pavel writes it x5/2... that's 2 sets of 5 reps)
- Working weight x5, 3, 2
- Optional back-off sets 2-3x5 of a different style (i.e. sumo if you regularly pull conventional, and vice versa) at about 80% of working weight
- Increase 2-5% each session (but keep it a consistent increase), 2-3 sessions/week (maybe 3 sessions the first couple weeks when the weight is light and 2 sessions/week towards the end)
- When you think you won't be able to complete the first set of 5 on the subsequent session, then you have two sessions remaining:
- Session 1: x3, 2
- Session 2: x2
- Then start over (slightly heavier than where you started the first time)
Also in Easy Strength ... do a word search in the Kindle version.

I've been serving with the British military since 2006.

I have achieved a 300kg sumo deadlift (straps) and the ability yomp across 30 miles in Dartmoor in sub 6 hours.

However my advice means nothing without more information from you. So please tell me about your military, your role within your military, you current fitness levels, your current strength levels, your training experiences, what you want to acheive etc.

An absolutely massive amount of information. In order for me and others on this board to be better armed and capable to assist you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom