all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training Program - Stamina/Fitness (cardio)/Strength, which?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6651
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 6651

Hello,

Well, I figured the best place to start before worrying about what gym equipment to buy or brand to buy... it is better to know the type of training I will need to do to achieve the goals I want. Once that is in place, it should be easier to work out what equipment to buy!

Anyway, I have been told by people here to do simple and sinister...

At the same time however... I love barbells and weight plates etc.

So I wanted to ask... wanting to do a training program that revolves around fitness/cardio/power/strength (so everything other than body building) in a way... what sort of program would I be looking at...

Crossfit, strongman, powerlifting, olympic weight lifting... etc.. ?

I am pretty sure power lifting wouldn't be it. Olympic weight lifting will produce power and speed... strongman (not sure about this one either) - Cross fit sounds like the program that would do exactly what I am after... but it seems this is not a program one can do at home in a home gym?

So what can I do in a home gym (what would I need for a home gym) to be able to simply get strong (focus on strength not size) and still have mobility, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance (stamina) as an athlete (ironman as example) ?

My primary concern is to be fit, stamina and to have flexible muscles (not stiffness in body) - secondary would be focusing on strength and power so I can still feel great knowing I got muscle behind me.

Thanks

Hello,

Well, I figured the best place to start before worrying about what gym equipment to buy or brand to buy... it is better to know the type of training I will need to do to achieve the goals I want. Once that is in place, it should be easier to work out what equipment to buy!

Anyway, I have been told by people here to do simple and sinister...

At the same time however... I love barbells and weight plates etc.

So I wanted to ask... wanting to do a training program that revolves around fitness/cardio/power/strength (so everything other than body building) in a way... what sort of program would I be looking at...

Crossfit, strongman, powerlifting, olympic weight lifting... etc.. ?

I am pretty sure power lifting wouldn't be it. Olympic weight lifting will produce power and speed... strongman (not sure about this one either) - Cross fit sounds like the program that would do exactly what I am after... but it seems this is not a program one can do at home in a home gym?

So what can I do in a home gym (what would I need for a home gym) to be able to simply get strong (focus on strength not size) and still have mobility, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance (stamina) as an athlete (ironman as example) ?

My primary concern is to be fit, stamina and to have flexible muscles (not stiffness in body) - secondary would be focusing on strength and power so I can still feel great knowing I got muscle behind me.

Thanks
@G-man
Your goals are pretty much what I train for. Although my focus is on climbing, cycling events, and 'adventure athletics'
One can do this with a very minimalist approach.
Personally I do this by mixing elements of:
  • S&S
  • FPP
  • NW
  • SJ/RIS/FS
  • LSD Aerobic work: Running, Cycling, Rucking
  • A 'healthy' amount of Anaerobic work
  • Activities: Bouldering, Roped Climbing (indoor & outdoor), Alpine Climbing, Bike Races, Running Races

I like the powerlifts and some individually relevant accessories with the barbell for absolute strength, and I think the poison is in the dose when it comes to stiffness and such. I like the kettlebells for power and cardio. Some odd object lifts and carries are also nice.

After learning to enjoy the taste of absolute strength I don't think I'd like to train without the barbell or the squat rack anymore. To that I'd add some kettlebells and some strongman equipment that suits your fancy.

Thanks for that.

After sleeping on it...

I have this idea...

Power Rack (instead of just plain squat stand, as it can be used for bench press etc)
Bench
Barbell
Olympic Plates

Start with those 4 and train whole body (Military press, bent-over rows, deadlifts, pullovers, squats, bench press etc) -

I guess Whether I add enough weight to do 5 reps only or 10 reps, will determine whether I am body building or strength training (meaning do same exercises but add more weight for less reps and its strength focused) - So maybe 5 sets 5 reps type stuff.

On the off days when I am not training (as you can't do that every day), star jumps, skipping, running (if needed) for fitness/cardio...

And stretching for mobility.

I assume that way Im getting the strength work in, fitness work in and staying mobile.

Yes/No?

Yes, the exercise selection, set/rep-scheme and rest periods play a big part regarding strength vs bodybuilding. Keep the rest periods long and sets short if you want to minimize hypertrophy. But if you keep on eating and sleeping well and doing the good 5*5 sessions consistently, you will build some mass, but it will be good, dare I say functional, mass, that helps you actually be stronger and not just look bigger.

I think regarding fitness/cardio and mobility, it's important to be active, and do different physical things, play different sports, play outside, do physical work when the chance arises, just have fun getting a bit of sweat, lots of different ways. Add some specialized training to that and you're well set.

@G-man, forgive me, but question your question. :)

You say "revolves around," which makes me think of a single thing, e.g., the planets revolve around the sun, but then you give several kinds of things, often things whose training can conflict.

There are, however, a number of "have it all" programs out there, and if that's your interest, I'd read through them and pick one.

Or I'd pick a primary goal, and set about achieving that goal by following a program that has variety-type days in it in which you can keep a few other things going on maintenance.

Just my opinion, of course.

-S-

@G-man, forgive me, but question your question. :)

You say "revolves around," which makes me think of a single thing, e.g., the planets revolve around the sun, but then you give several kinds of things, often things whose training can conflict.

There are, however, a number of "have it all" programs out there, and if that's your interest, I'd read through them and pick one.

Or I'd pick a primary goal, and set about achieving that goal by following a program that has variety-type days in it in which you can keep a few other things going on maintenance.

Just my opinion, of course.

-S-

Hi and thanks.

I have decided the one I will stick to, as it has been a long favourite is Strongs 5x5.

Develop strength in the whole body. After that, I can move into cardio work for fitness or anything really and I will have a good solid base to work with. Also the lifts are pretty simple (only 5 of them) so even a beginner can make use of it with only just a few items.

Once I am successful with this, I can look into what else I want to do. I mean, end of the day, I can run, jog, jumping jacks, jump rope etc to get 'cardio' in. That way I am building strength and fitness.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom