all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Training with shoulder instability

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

B McKnight

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello SF Community,

Found out yesterday that I have moderate instability in one of my shoulders. It's been dislocated a few times over the years, been subjected to a lot of impact from many years of various combat sports and has been abused over the past decade with a lot of high impact overhead dynamic work from obstacle course events. All of that has finally caught up to me in the form of chronic pain and limited ROM, mostly laterally. The doctor positively diagnosed instability with a physical exam and x-rays. There are also indications of OA in the glenohumeral joint.

We're going to start with physical therapy. I'm resisting using pain medication so I don't inadvertently cause more damage. The doctor (who is a competitive CrossFit athlete) said I should be able to do any exercise that doesn't cause pain or "clicking" in my shoulder. Apparently, clicking without pain is a sign of impingement that shouldn't be ignored as it can aggravate the instability.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue and how do you train around it? I'm looking for ways to keep training without introducing imbalances. I can do exercises, like KB swings and strict overhead presses, with no problem. Neutral grip pullups and pushups are ok as long as I keep my elbows tight in line with my trunk. Turkish getups and snatches on the unstable shoulder are completely out of the question.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-- Bruce

I can do exercises, like KB swings and strict overhead presses, with no problem. Neutral grip pullups and pushups are ok as long as I keep my elbows tight in line with my trunk. Turkish getups and snatches on the unstable shoulder are completely out of the question.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-- Bruce
I think you’ve answered your own question but I’ll add some tidbits.

Static position exercises could be benificial to you such as arm bars, push-up planks, handstand holds, various carries. As long as it doesn’t hurt, these can help strengthen muscles/neural input to areas surrounding the shoulder.

Of course, you can always focus on deadlifts as well…

I've been dealing with shoulder issues for the last few years and have gone to PT. I have arthritis and bursitis in both shoulders and have had some instability issues which we addressed in PT.

The most effective things for me have been bottoms-up Get-ups, bottoms-up presses (half-kneeling, tall-kneeling, v-sit), and bottoms-up carries (overhead, rack).

The most effective PT exercises that actually worked for me were Y-T-W-L's and these:

Many people say hangs are the cure for shoulder issues, but I've seen limited help even though I've done them and can still perform pull-ups and chin-ups.

I'm finally able to press heavy again (kettlebell overhead presses and DB floor presses) and I can do everything except barbell bench presses.

My left shoulder has been dislocated half a dozen times since I got shot through it as a kid. I also have a labrum tear there.

Over the years, I've built up my shoulder girdle and upper back enough that I can OHP, OHSQ, barbell C&J / snatch, and use gymnastic rings just fine.

Getting better thoracic mobility and so I can go vertical with proper 'behind the ears' arm position helped, as I can load up my upper back to stabilize.

Certain moves are still dicey (heavy TGUs and heavy bench press), but I just either stay away from those or do them extremely sparingly.

If there was a path forward for me, there probably is for you.

I also have a labrum tear there.

Getting better thoracic mobility and so I can go vertical with proper 'behind the ears' arm position helped, as I can load up my upper back to stabilize.

Oh yeah, I have a labrum tear on my right shoulder (since 2000). The only thing I cannot do as a result is throw overhead (baseball, football, tennis ball, etc.). But I can play a mean game of ultimate Frisbee since the movement is different. :D

The crazy thing is that it was my left shoulder that started causing issues back in 2019. I went through PT for both shoulders. Even though my left shoulder is the "problem" shoulder now, it's stronger than my right side!

Yes, definitely plenty of thoracic mobility work. I perform a variety of thoracic mobility exercises in my warm-ups as well as band pull-aparts and band dislocates.

These work great for me:

Oh yeah, I have a labrum tear on my right shoulder (since 2000). The only thing I cannot do as a result is throw overhead (baseball, football, tennis ball, etc.). But I can play a mean game of ultimate Frisbee since the movement is different. :D

The crazy thing is that it was my left shoulder that started causing issues back in 2019. I went through PT for both shoulders. Even though my left shoulder is the "problem" shoulder now, it's stronger than my right side!

Yes, definitely plenty of thoracic mobility work. I perform a variety of thoracic mobility exercises in my warm-ups as well as band pull-aparts and band dislocates.

These work great for me:

I do those more or less daily, and every time before I train.

I also like wheel pose as a warm up.

Front squats and overhead squats, though, probably made more of a difference for me, though, as I need to not just be mobile, but strong in positions of thoracic extension. If I'm not, I can't compete.

@B McKnight welcome to the forum.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue and how do you train around it? I'm looking for ways to keep training without introducing imbalances. I can do exercises, like KB swings and strict overhead presses, with no problem. Neutral grip pullups and pushups are ok as long as I keep my elbows tight in line with my trunk. Turkish getups and snatches on the unstable shoulder are completely out of the question.

Like said above, you may have answered your own question. I've had shoulder surgery on the right and issues in both at different times.

Agree with isometrics, though your PT may have you doing those at some point. If your PT is an athlete, I would work with them. They will know your body better than we, online, will, and can recommend what's best. In general though, movements that don't provoke the issue should be alright.

If I were you my short term plan would be working with what I can, without issue. My long term plan would be slowly increasing my stable ROM to include more and more of the range(s) that is instable, if that makes sense. Hopefully your PT is helping you with that.

Front squats and overhead squats, though, probably made more of a difference for me, though, as I need to not just be mobile, but strong in positions of thoracic extension. If I'm not, I can't compete.

I stopped doing overhead squats, but I'm a big fan of front squats. What do you compete in?

Many thanks to everyone for the advice! I'm going for a PT evaluation in a couple of weeks. You've all given me plenty of things to consider and some really good questions to ask.

In the meantime, I'll take this opportunity to revisit some of the areas I've been neglecting lately, like my cardio and lower body mobility.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom