all posts post new thread

Barbell Tricep and bicep isolation exercises necessary?

Bull_Rush

Level 2 Valued Member
For the purpose of a big bench press and a big bent-over row at least.

I make it a point to minimize the number of exercises that I do, and on my upper body “isolation exercise slot”, I just ended up choosing a complete deltoid workout (front, back, and side). But if biceps and triceps are truly necessary, maybe I should include them too.

Thanks.

I make it a point to minimize the number of exercises that I do, and on my upper body “isolation exercise slot”, I just ended up choosing a complete deltoid workout (front, back, and side). But if biceps and triceps are truly necessary, maybe I should include them too.

Thanks.

How big of a bench press are you talking about?

In competition PL and WL, there is occasional use of triceps isolation work.

I usually find I don't benefit from focused tris/bis work until my presses or pulls stall, then I'll throw them in for a cycle, break the plateau, rinse and repeat.

If you just want big arms, some will say mandatory, some will say you don't need it until you're at the Intermediate lifter stage on your big barbell compounds.

Last edited:
How big of a bench press are you talking about?

In competition PL and WL, there is occasional use of triceps isolation work.

I usually find I don't benefit from focused tris/bis work until my presses or pulls stall, then I'll throw them in for a cycle, break the plateau, rinse and repeat.

If you just want big arms, some will say mandatory, some will say you don't need it until you're at the Intermediate lifter stage on your big barbell compounds.

I guess if I can put a number on it, a 1000-pound bench press and a 1200-pound bent-over row.

lol. I don't know man. The longest (so far) that I've ever consistently trained without giving up was just eight months. I'm old and wise now so I know long term hard work is important, but back when I cared about my bench press I only really did like five months of concentrated training on it that netted me 275 pounds as one rep max. So I guess a "big" bench press for me before I start aging is... 405 if I can have my drug-free genes take it that far.

But yeah. Will I hit 405 with just benching? Or will I need to hit the triceps with things like skullcrushers and stuff?

I guess if I can put a number on it, a 1000-pound bench press and a 1200-pound bent-over row.

lol. I don't know man. The longest (so far) that I've ever consistently trained without giving up was just eight months. I'm old and wise now so I know long term hard work is important, but back when I cared about my bench press I only really did like five months of concentrated training on it that netted me 275 pounds as one rep max. So I guess a "big" bench press for me before I start aging is... 405 if I can have my drug-free genes take it that far.

But yeah. Will I hit 405 with just benching? Or will I need to hit the triceps with things like skullcrushers and stuff?

Hit 315 first.

Then worry about it.

No

In compound exercise like the Bench Press and Bent Over Row, the triceps and biceps obtain enough work; since they are the smaller muscles.

If your weak link / sticking point is the lock out, yes. If your sticking point is off the chest, no.

The Ascending Bench Press Curve

Ascending Curve Exercise are those that are harder in the bottom position and easier at the top. like the Bench Press.

The sticking point in a Bench Press is from the chest to a few inches up not in the lock out area.

Sticking Chest Point Solutions

1) Paused Benches off the Chest.

2) Isometric Power Rack Bench Presses just off the chest to a few inches up.

3) Touch and Go Bench Presses with a moderate weight.

4) Dumbell Bench Presses that allow you to go a little lower than you can with a Barbell.

5) Partial Dumbbell Flys from a lower position than the bar would be to just a few inches higher.

No

In compound exercise like the Bench Press and Bent Over Row, the triceps and biceps obtain enough work; since they are the smaller muscles.

The Ascending Bench Press Curve

Ascending Curve Exercise are those that are harder in the bottom position and easier at the top. like the Bench Press.

The sticking point in a Bench Press is from the chest to a few inches up not in the lock out area.

Sticking Chest Point Solutions

1) Paused Benches off the Chest.

2) Isometric Power Rack Bench Presses just off the chest to a few inches up.

3) Touch and Go Bench Presses with a moderate weight.

4) Dumbell Bench Presses that allow you to go a little lower than you can with a Barbell.

5) Partial Dumbbell Flys from a lower position than the bar would be to just a few inches higher.

You never see people miss a raw bench at lockout?

If you want to do direct arm work, do it. Don’t dress it up. Yes it’ll help make those muscles stronger. Yes your arms will grow.

However, it’s not necessarily a minimalist approach. So you’ll get some complex ethos-based answers. If you can’t progress without, then you can go ahead.

If your arms are already taxed, you don’t need it, you just need time

Last edited:
I would rate Josh Bryant as the #1 bench press coach in the world. He's a big fan of assistance exercises for the bench., though not so for the squat and the deadlift. Big arms for a big bench, lots of assistance bodybuilding style. He's also a fan of speed/CAT work and plenty of first reps.

Throw 3-4 bis tris supersets to finish your practice and see how they work. They may take you ten minutes and if they dont work remove them from your schedule. Hammer curls and JM presses are my choices for stronger compounds, better joint health and tighter sleeves

The longest (so far) that I've ever consistently trained without giving up was just eight months. I'm old and wise now so I know long term hard work is important....
You really answered your own question. Just keep showing up. Consistency trumps intensity every time. There are quite a few on this forum who have been consistently putting in the work for 40~50 years or more. They've been training a lot longer than you have been alive and have gained a good bit of wisdom of their own. Just develop a good plan and keep showing up "tomorrow." Give your plan a chance to work and then tweak it, if necessary.

Personally when I’m training shoulders, rows, benchpress I am mechanically minimizing the amount my bi’s and tri’s have to contribute so they don’t limit the amount of work the big movers are doing. Bi and tri don’t kick in much until the last 1/4 of the ROM or so.

So yes, I always include some bi or tri work at the end of a session. Normally alternate bis on pressing days and tris on rowing days.

Yes, absolutely necessary if you want to build your arms bigger than just presses, rows, and chins can/will.

Definitely yes if you have short muscle bellies, long tendons, and long arms (like me).

The people that say "no" were either already blessed with long muscle bellies and short tendons or find that their arms grow naturally from just presses, rows, and chins.

Back
Top Bottom