all posts post new thread

Barbell Trouble finding squat stance in DD

Men

Level 1 Valued Member
Im reading DD first edition

To find the squat stance you need to get into a 4 point kneeling stance

The picture of the guy doing it isnt clear enough of where to put my hands, legs and feet

Also, if i widen my knees, should my feet(which are touching the floor) stay in the same position

What i do is relax my butt while keeping my head in the same place and then see how far my butt goes backwards(i keep my back arched)

Then i change my knee position until i find the knee width where my butt goes the most back when relaxed and while my head is in the same place

Im trying to follow the picture as much as i can and im not sure if I'm right.

Should my feet change and adapt to my knee width or should thy stay in the same position

If they are to stay in the same position, where would that position be

The picture of the guy doing it isnt clear enough of where to put my hands, legs and feet

Also, if i widen my knees, should my feet(which are touching the floor) stay in the same position

What i do is relax my butt while keeping my head in the same place and then see how far my butt goes backwards(i keep my back arched)

Then i change my knee position until i find the knee width where my butt goes the most back when relaxed and while my head is in the same place

What is DD? Are you doing a barbell squat or a goblet squat or a bodyweight squat?

I like @Dan John 's method. You can move your feet around to find what is comfortable in the bottom.

Reactions: Men
To find the squat stance
Squats Part 1: Fold-Ability and Proportions

Tom Purvis, Physical Therapist, provide great information on how to Squat based on your Body Type (Anthropometry).

How Femur Length Affects Squat Mechanics

Meet Maren and Brett, the two latest Glute Squad members. They are the same height, but their torso and femur proportions differ markedly. Maren has a longer torso and shorter femurs, whereas Brett has a short torso and long femurs. See how much higher Brett’s hip joint center is compared to Maren’s?

1697720676093.png1697720853234.png1697720885629.png

By the way. In this im not referring directly to the squat. Im referring to the wriggling you do on the floor(which stuart mcgill came up ) to find your optimal squat width

I also tried looking at stuart mcgill sources on youtube. I cant find the exact same wriggling on the floor example

The book(deadlift dynamite first edition) doesnt mention where stuart mcgill said this. It just says stiart mcgill said....
So maybe that specific source could guide me.

Either way. Anyone who has read Deadlift dynamite can help

By the way. In this im not referring directly to the squat. Im referring to the wriggling you do on the floor(which stuart mcgill came up ) to find your optimal squat width

I also tried looking at stuart mcgill sources on youtube. I cant find the exact same wriggling on the floor example

The book(deadlift dynamite first edition) doesnt mention where stuart mcgill said this. It just says stiart mcgill said....
So maybe that specific source could guide me.

Either way. Anyone who has read Deadlift dynamite can help
Both methods above will provide the same feedback for finding your ideal squat stance for your body.

IIRC the method in the book is just a 6 point stance where you rock back and forth and find the most stable and largest ROM version. Then you stand up and do the same thing.

Reactions: Men
Cripes, I can't find my copy right now, but I'll check it later...

Let me just say right now that finding your "perfect squat stance" is a bunch of bullshido (at least for me it is). The stance that's right for you can vary a lot over time and across training and varying goals. Find a stance that's not extreme and one you can hit a satisfactory range of motion with safely - then, over time and experience you'll come to find a stance that generally suits you.

Back
Top Bottom