all posts post new thread

Old Forum Turkish Get-up Problems

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dr. Matt Longfellow

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi all,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and have learned a lot, but I've only posted a couple of times. I'm nearing the end of physical therapy school and have plans to complete my SFG I next year sometime, so I'm working on perfecting my kettlebell technique so that I can implement it with my patients after graduation. That said, I've been working through S&S and I've gotten up to swings with the 32kg for all sets in 7-8 minutes and have been working get-ups with the 24kg & 32kg as well.

Recently, while doing my get ups with the 32kg I realized I have a lot of difficulty with the roll to elbow phase on my left side only, right side is easy. I seem to use a lot of momentum to get to my elbow, and my right leg frequently kicks up. However, once I get past that the rest of the get-up is a breeze.

I figured this was just a strength issue so I went back to doing my get-ups with the 24kg & 20kg but noticed that I was still having trouble getting to my elbow. Somehow, it took getting to the 32kg to realize that I have a major technique flaw...I'm trying to sit-up rather than roll.

I'll continue to work on swings, but I'm thinking I may go all the way back to square one with the get-ups and focus on perfecting technique with naked get-ups and work on a lot of 1/4 get-ups with lighter weights and gradually build back-up to the heavier weights. Other things I'm thinking of working on are chops/lifts, SLDL's and some crawling, and eventually achieving the Simple goals.

My question is: is there any merit to this approach, or am I over thinking it? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I ran into the same problem as you and looked for a solution. Turns out that Jeff Martone hit the nail on this one for me.  Forcefully exhale (similar to when you are bracing) to activate your core. Since then my leg has been glued to the ground, so this might help you.

Also do as mark suggested, there are many qualified people here to help and input never hurts.

I had the same problem and  two things worked for me.   First, I have to pay attention to lead the roll with my hips, not my upper body.   Second,  I learned to very slightly move the kettlebell into the direction of the roll.

It is amazing how many details have to be on for a good TGU.  I'm still working to improve my lunge down after standing up.

This troubleshooting guide for the TGU helped me:

http://www.strengthcoach.com/TGUPDF.pdf

I had a similar problem, but with my right side (oddly, as I'm right-handed). What helped me was 1) making sure my flat leg was out far enough (45-ish degrees) and foot pointed more toward the ceiling, and 2) leading from the kettlebell-arm elbow. That may or may not help you, but try the tips in the guide linked above.

I had a similar problem when I started with a 24 and this tip was suggested by Steve Friedes on this forum. Works great. When in press position and set to roll, visualise a rope attached to your sternum which is anchored in the corner of a room at 45 degrees. Imagine that rope pulling you up to the corner of the room. Also I wasn't driving through my heel of the angled leg properly. I didn't really get this until I went to the 32 when it is more obvious To do so. I went back and drilled it with a lighter weight. It is true that sometimes you may think your technique is fine until a heavier weight comes along and reveals those flaws. Maybe before my action was ab centric when it is an integrated movement. There is a tendency to muscle through it but going back and drilling the movement is the better option. Hope that helps. It certainly got me over a sticking point.

Matt,

To piggyback on Zach's question, my first thought would be to explore your rolling pattern separately from your get up practice, see if you notice the same assymmetry in your rolling and (if so) work on practicing various rolling exercises to address it.

You can also certainly try any of the suggested get up technique tips and see if they help.

Based on the fact that you are not having a problem on the right side, and still notice the problem on the left side with lighter weights, I wouldn't necessarily back off the weight for your regular get up practice. It isn't really a safety issue and you will still get the strength benefit of the greater weight. You can always do some extra technique practice with lighter weights to work on fine tuning form.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Unfortunately, I am not able to post a video as the camera on my phone is not functioning.

Zach and Steve - I also regularly practice OS Resets and crawling, so I've done a lot of rolling and I haven't noticed any difficulties with the segmental rolling patterns.

I've gone back and practiced naked and with my lighter bells and with the breathing tip, the rope attached to sternum cue and focus on leading with my hip and rolling, I'm able to complete a smooth roll to elbow with the 20kg. I've been doing a lot of naked get-ups and 1/4 get-ups with the 20kg the past few days and plan to get back to doing S&S as usual with lighter weights and continued 1/4 get-up practice. I'll probably also work on the things mentioned in my first post as a warm-up and hope to get back to the 32kg within the next couple of weeks.

Just thought I'd provide an update for those who helped out with advice.

I finally tried my first TGU with the 32kg since I posted this the other day and to my surprise, it was the easiest TGU I've ever done with the 32 on both sides. No legs flailing or anything, and it felt awesome. And all this after not touching the 32 for over 2 weeks.

The last 2 weeks I've spent a lot of time breaking down my technique and really slowing the get up down. I'd get up every morning and practice a few naked get-ups before work, then after work I'd do 3-4 sets of roll to elbow with a shoe before my main S&S session. During my S&S practice, I was working with my 20kg and 24kg. I'd alternate between doing all my get-ups extremely slow with the 24, or doing them with speed bumps with my 20. I'd bridge from my elbow, high bridge, do a press in each position, or incorporate neck/shoulder rotations. Finally, the 24 started feeling so easy that I decided to stick with just the 24 for another few days before I tried the 32 and it paid off. Amazing what some dedicated technique practice can do for the get-up.

Now I plan to slowly increase my volume with the 32 until I reach the simple standards, then move on to either a PttP cycle or an olympic lifting cycle, as I've always wanted to learn the O-lifts and have a potential opportunity to work with a good coach in Columbus. We'll see, but all this to say...thanks a lot for all the help and advice!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom