all posts post new thread

Old Forum Two questions ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Al Ciampa

Level 7 Valued Member
1) For admin: any plans on a SFGII cert after OCT?

2) For anyone: with the above in mind ... my shoulders are totally wrecked, rotator cuff tears, impingement, clavicle issues, bursitis, etc. (more gifts that the Army keeps on giving :)  Anyway, I can't press with enough consistency to improve my press anymore (or so I think).  More than a week of pressing leads to the pain that I can't even drink away.

I can do get ups with minimal residual issues, and I practice them with both a 56 and 48.  This keeps me solidly pressing a 40 whenever, and a 44 most of the time ... but I can't seem to get that 48 - which I need to pass the SFGII.

What's sad? When I was benching 600 in another lifetime, I was pressing behind the neck (standing) near 450 :(

Suggestions? (Don't suggest that I get under 204).

Thanks in advance.

Are their any press variants that do not bother your shoulders? I know that for some people push presses/jerks do not bother their shoulders as much as the strict variations. I'm assuming that based on your injuries bench variations and dips are out of the question as well. Low-intensity pressing cause flare ups, or just maximal pressing?

Andy,

Yes, push presses and jerks don't bother my shoulders as much, but then there is the issue of my knees - hey, no one is perfect.  And, how heavy would I have to go to improve my max press?

Dips and benching are out.  I can take pressing 16s out for a while, but 24 will eventually flare me up.  This in the context of a low-inflammatory diet and lifestyle, in case you were thinking of that.

Just think-tanking it - thanks.

If it's not one thing it's something else! Unfortunately you are right about having to go heavy to improve your max press. The push press is one of those exercises that sometimes has correlation to strict pressing. But, sometimes improving your push press only improves your push press. This is because for most people (or at least me) the hardest portion of the press is the start. Have you experimented with isometrics near the bottom position of a press?

When you try to press where do you fail?

If I were you I would try to work push presses and get ups with some very light pressing to try and maintain the groove. Maybe a little work with isometrics if those do not bother you.

I'm no expert, so take any recommendation with the appropriate grain of salt.

al first I love your writing and sometime would like to ask you a couple of questions but for now consider performing posterior delt work three times a week as rehab. heat before ice after. two week block of delt work week one med. week two heavy take three weeks off of delt work and repeat. also use e-stim or tens as much as possible. the two week block keeps your strength up enough to break even in the long run. I have had this issue for thirty years.  we both more than likely have horrible instabalities from our heavy benching if alchol does not work try dmso to the area good luck will

Tell me about it ...

I've diligently tried, I think , everything, but thanks for your advice.  I fail about 6 inches up from the start ... maybe 4, who's counting?

I'm thinking about getting the 150lber to practice get ups, while grooving with the 24s.  Someone is prob going to get on here and say bent presses - perhaps.  I do solid snatches, 15 per, with the 40 ... so maybe bent presses.

I'm just getting frustrated after all these years, and refuse to get cut again - been through too much of that to date.

To be fair, I haven't attempted the 48 in a press since working S&S with the 48, so ... maybe?  A cup of joe and away we go?

Thanks for playing, Andy.

Al, for me get ups actually seem to help my press as much, if not more, than actual pressing. After going through S&S with the 32kg I crushed my previous rep PR with it. Maybe if you're well rested you'll be able to put the demon to rest.

If not, I would consider trying some isometric work at your sticking point. It might help, it might not, and it might hurt. It is not something I have played around with.

I understand the frustration! The press is a stubborn lift, even when you can do it pain free. Best of luck.

Will, Love the idea ... email me anytime with your questions: berto.ciampa@gmail.com

Andy, I agree, but what is the point of no return - not meaning I'm quitting, just asking.

Al, very true. It is important to figure out if you are chasing a white whale or not.

Al, just a thought--a combination of racked carries and floor presses (if you can do them) in addition to the getups and some very light groove work could prove very useful.

Racked carries with a bell a size up from your press weight, getups as heavy as possible, floor presses with your press weight, and light groove work with whatever doesn't bother you....

Al, for your consideration. If you can do them pain free, do daily tgu's or windmills (bent press movement with arms locked) to build up your strength even more. You may need to go beyond the 48 kg bell to be able to press it. Then every week or 2, press ala 5 4 3 2 1 method...... 24x5, 28x4, 32x3, 36x2, 40x1 for example. Then eventually work up to 44 x1 and so on... Good luck!

Get under 204 ;)

Kidding aside, I remember reading about Mark Snow using a bent press program from Dave Whitley to press the beast, I believe also due to shoulder problems and not being able to tolerate large pressing volume.  If you do test your press and it still isn't where it needs to be then a bent press regimen may translate better for you than the TGU.

How's your shoulder mobility in the presence of those issues?

Do you compensate your shoulder position during the TGU to manage that much weight or can you still authentically stabilize both shoulders during the TGU?

I've been practicing this drill regularly since the article came out:

http://www.strongfirst.com/always-be-press-ready/

The first morning afterwards I couldn't sit up in bed, learned after only a few reps where I was losing tension in my MP, it may show you something as well.

Al,

Where are you located?  Let's see if we can get you hooked up with an SFMA clinician and see if there are some things that can be done to help you out.

Brett

Brett, I just moved to the middle of nowhere ... the locals call it, Abilene, TX :)

Zach, bent press could work ... yes, my right clavicle/a-c joint gets angry at me when I try to bring my arm toward the midline while overhead.  I try not to compensate by moving into the pain - don't worry, I'm a skilled practitioner :)  My get ups feel better after all these years of pushing toward the pain - meaning less pain, and more authentic movement - thanks.

Thanks, Eric/Aris.

Given your levels of strength it sounds to me like at this moment optimizing your shoulder mobility and press movement pattern is the only way forward, rather than it being a question of the right pressing program. Hope Brett has a good referral for you!

Al,

I have been doing an interting workout for the past 8 weeks, and I am not changing anytime soon.  This was born out of a slight hammy injury-a strain- I stopped swings, stopped traditionl barbell lifting and  "enter the loaded carry", All I have done for 5 days a week for 8 weeks are farmer walks-traditional style, rack walks and thats it.  My shoulders have never felt better, I did have a nagging left shoulder issue before i started where it would hurt to press the kettlebell-that is gone.  Before I started the 32kg bell was a challenge to press, now its fairly easy-After doing zero press work.  I have not tested because I have no reason to, but if I did I imagaine I would not have an issue pressing the 32kg 6 in a row per arm-and that would not be an all out effort.  ( I know that's not real stong-but Ihavent done any pressing)  (another WTH Effect)

Brian

Hi Al,

I haven't plowed through the entire book yet, but Kelly Starrett's "Supple Leopard" has some great structural resets that you may find helpful.  As you mentioned in a recent post, bodyweight crawling can work wonders for improving a whole host of issues.  It may be that there is a nugget in Starrett's teachings that can help alleviate some of the pain you feel and point out some areas within your chain which are not as strong as the rest of you and keeping you from getting beyond current barriers.  sorry I don't have anything more specific, but I am finding things, like your suggested crawling, which are helping me reset, improve balance throughout with only bodyweight movements, which then transfer to weighted improvements in all of my lifts.

Hey Al,

I'm wondering if you wouldn't benefit from greater inferior glide of the humerus, especially during that transition point where you're currently (or previously) failing.

Lads,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. 

What I failed to include in the original post was that this has been a long journey of recovery and rebilitation.  I've tried most of the suggestions over the years, and my shoulders have regained a lot of function and experienced a lot of pain reduction.  I posted this question as I may have gone as far as movement therapy can provide, but am still short of that somewhat arbitrary goal.

Crawling both in reverse and forward has helped immensely, as did swings, get ups, windmills, and loaded carries.  Bottoms up work is next up, as was suggested by Geoff, as well as the rear deltoid work suggested above - because it makes sense to me.  I'm waiting to see if Brett has any contacts for me ...

Thanks again.

Al

How far is Abilene from Austin? I might be able to come up with some referrals out there, have a friend who was in Austin for a while.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom