all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Uncle Geoff is always right

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
so last night I saw this email from Geoff.

and for whatever reason, I took up his rhetorical challenge.

------------------------------------

1649969401019.png
---------------------------

I'm not exactly the strongest among us.

But, I did scoff a bit as I can squat or deadlift hundreds of lbs. and my 48kg bell is a paltry ~100lbs.

So, I went and picked up my 48kg bell...
and, all right. I'm not repping out 10s with the 48kg bell.
got to 5 reps. and decided to put it down and think about my life and why I didn't believe Geoff.

Now I'm thinking front squat programming thoughts...

Last edited:
I’m doing giant 3.0 with dbl front squats now. About to start the 2nd week and have had to eat humble pie and drop from double 20’s to double 16’s. I can squat the 2x20’s, but not for 20 minutes haha.

I’ve just bought kettlebell express and there are a few good programs that rotate front squats, cleans and presses, which cover all my bases. But I have to get through 3.0 with front squats first

yeah I've never felt the need to buy into Geoff's materials - although everything I've seen from him has been sound and profitable thus far - I just don't have any plans to involve any doubles in my training, at all. and my perception of his material is that it largely serves a double kettlebell audience. i have one set of 8kg jumps, and that's all I plan on having.

but, maybe now I'm rethinking that.

+1
I’m considering a front squat focused program as well when I’m done with this block of QnD. I have no matching doubles, but i do have an adjustable KB that someone decided to throw away last summer. I think I’ll go pick up some more plates (5&10#) from play it again sports sometime soon.

I'm not exactly the strongest among us.

But, I did scoff a bit as I can squat or deadlift hundreds of lbs. and my 48kg bell is a paltry ~100lbs.

and, all right. I'm not repping out 10s with the 48kg bell.
got to 5 reps. and decided to put it down and think about my life and why I didn't believe Geoff.

Now I'm thinking front squat programming thoughts...
I’m laughing because I’m reading exactly what I would have written had I seen that article before now and tried single 48Kg front squats!!

yeah I've never felt the need to buy into Geoff's materials - although everything I've seen from him has been sound and profitable thus far - I just don't have any plans to involve any doubles in my training, at all. and my perception of his material is that it largely serves a double kettlebell audience. i have one set of 8kg jumps, and that's all I plan on having.

I think you might have a misconception based on his ads and some of the threads on the forum, but the Kettlebell Express programs (100 of them, but tomorrow is the last day to purchase) are all single bell programs, not doubles. Some of his work is doubles, but not all.

From the manual, specifically about the Giant which I also thought was a doubles program (and I guess anything can be a doubles program?) because the picture shows Geoff doing it with doubles:

"The Giant
If there’s one exercise to do with your kettlebell that will not only make you strong, but even put on some muscle in the process, it’s the Clean + Press.

It works pretty much every muscle in your body and really makes your abs work overtime.

Here are some very simple, yet challenging programs base on the single kettlebell Clean + Press."

Last edited:
"The Giant
If there’s one exercise to do with your kettlebell that will not only make you strong, but even put on some muscle in the process, it’s the Clean + Press.

Unpopular opinion:

Many people would be far better served to treat S&S as baseline GPP and adding C&P into the mix earlier rather than following solely S&S all the way to Simple.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion:

Many people would be far better served to treat S&S as baseline GPP and adding C&P into the mix earlier than following solely S&S all the way to Simple.
I hit the timeless swings and started practicing clean and press. Haven’t done swings since. Getup is still at 24kg but I haven’t done it for a while. Really enjoy it.

I don't own a 48, but can imagine just holding the BFB in the rack for 10R and 10L during the FS would be some work.
i can , and have done 5x5 sets of front squats with my 32 and 24 summing up to 56 kg . but, repping a set of 10 isn't something that's going to be as smooth or as sure as a set of 10 32kg goblet squats would for me. that i can do , no problem.

I don't own a 48, but can imagine just holding the BFB in the rack for 10R and 10L during the FS would be some work.

If you're used to 120 kg barbell FSQ for reps, it's not that bad after about 1-2 weeks of adaptation.

Except it's a lot more uncomfortable (at least for me).

I'm probably just not de-sensitized to it, though, like I am to a barbell.

I've always found it challenging, though -- it just stops being torturous at some point. ;)

Last edited:

Doubles are game changing. Why not try the Giant or another program like this one I started with: The 12-Week Muscle-Building Kettlebell Master-Plan
Bodyweight, single KB, double KB, and barbell all have their place in the StrongFirst system and philosophy.

I think you might have a misconception based on his ads and some of the threads on the forum, but the Kettlebell Express programs (100 of them, but tomorrow is the last day to purchase) are all single bell programs, not doubles. Some of his work is doubles, but not all.
well then, i'll have to see for myself ...

upon further inspection, it seems you're right.

I'm not sure which of these protocols I'll try first.

but, i must confess - I'm currently perusing it - and just as @Steve Freides has a penchant for borrowing ideas from Q&D, There are at least a couple of ideas in here that I'll be poaching for my own purposes.

well i know i can deadlift 365 or so. not sure about squats but If i tested it - it'd probably be a zercher of like 250 or so .
I mean, okay, so the email's asking you to squat around half of a plausible front squat 1rm for 10 reps with an awkward implement that you may not have spent muxh time practicing with. I would expect that to be pretty tough, if not downright impossible.

Since I'm in this thread, is the Giant in KB Express or nah?

I mean, okay, so the email's asking you to squat around half of a plausible front squat 1rm for 10 reps with an awkward implement that you may not have spent muxh time practicing with. I would expect that to be pretty tough, if not downright impossible.

Since I'm in this thread, is the Giant in KB Express or nah?
Yes, but I don't know if the stand alone program is different than what is in Kettlebell Express.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom