all posts post new thread

Old Forum USAF SERE Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gatorbait

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello all at Strongfirst,

I am looking for any help/guidance that can be given.  I am going to become an USAF SERE Instructor.  My timeline is going to be 6 months to a year before getting to the school house so I have some time to prepare.  I'm looking for a program path to follow to get me where I need to be so that physically the school will be as easy as possible.

The first step is the PAST Test:

Swim: 200m in <10 min

Run: 1.5 mi in <11 min

Pullups: 8 reps in <1 min

Situps: 48 reps in <2 min

Pushups: 48 reps in <2 min

Ruck March: 65lbs for 4 mi in <1 hour

So this is what I'm working on currently.  The only issue here is Pullups.  Always been a struggle for me.  I'm currently at 5-6 reps.

I am greasing the groove on situps, pushups and pull-ups.  So my numbers should be good in a few weeks.  So what I'm looking for is the path once I have these numbers.  School will be a year long.  the typical day at the school house looks as such:

-run 2-8 miles

-pushups 200 reps

-situps- 200 reps

-flutter kicks 200 reps

-pullups 50 reps

-8 count bodybuilders 50 reps

-ruck march 65 lbs or more for 6-8 miles a day

The time in school bounces between being on base at the school house and out in the field (1-3 weeks at a time) working on perfecting survival and teaching skills in the Washington State area.  The PAST Test will be constantly assessed throughout the course.

Technically SERE is supposedly spec ops but really I would probably put it as Quadrant 3.  It is the job of teaching not fighting.  Biggest emphasis probably on loaded carries as you are rucking 6-8 miles a day up and down the mountains.

So what are the thoughts on the path ahead?  I was wondering if:

-just following the path of ETK all the way to a half bodyweight press would be appropriate adding rucking and running as necessary.  (running ala E.S./"Victor")?

-or perhaps PM (working up to 48kg bell) with pistols and OAP and pullups mixed in some how?

-or am I in need of a different path altogether?

A quick about me.  I am 31, 6'4", 200 lbs.  (Pretty lean.  Thin upper body.  Thick tree trunk legs.).  I am swinging the 24kg bell for reps and can give 3 solid full getups per a side with the same bell.  I am at home out in the field.  I grew up in the swamps down in Florida and experienced plenty of ruck marching and desert and mountains while in the USMC.  (An 03.  1 FAST Co.  1/1)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.  This is a terrific community.

assuming you don't have any medical issues, faulty technique or problematic movement patterns I would say just do PM.  I'm assuming it's going to be a rough school even though you are the teacher.

ERIC,

Thanks for your input.  No medical issues to speak of.  Was in a car accident a while back.  Busted a few ribs and slightly aggrivated neck.  Have healed up though and am cleared by the doc to begin training.  I am getting an FMS next week to check for any problematic movement.  Money is a bit tight as Ive been a student and paying for wedding expenses for my upcoming nuptials this summer.  But ASAP when I have the funds I plan on getting to the first available SFG Kettlebell Course and getting some one on one with a SFG Instructor.

Your assumption is correct.  It will be a tough school.  It is as physically demanding as it is mentally.  It is basically a year long interview.  So I want to be able to control everything I can so that it is not a worry while I am there.  So strength and conditioning is a big variable that I can control and I thought why not ask those smarter than I what they think.

Thanks again.  Greatly appreciated.

Gator,

Given what you outlined as a typical school day I wouldn't add anything training-wise.  you'll be expending A LOT of energy so focus your efforts on recovery and releasing tension.  Adequate sleep and proper nutrition will be keys to recovery.  Have you tried Pavel's fast and loose practices?  Stretching and/or mobility routines?  Do you have any meditative practices?

Zach,

Thanks for the reply. Once at school I dont anticipate doing anything extra than what you've suggested.  "Rest and relaxation".  I actually just ordered Fast and Loose the other day.  I have for the last year used Pavel's "Super Joints".  I recently finally read Tim Anderson's "Pressing Reset".  Just have been doing that for the last two days and absolutely love it!  Down the road I was thinking of playing with "Relax into Stretch" or "Flexible Steel" .  Have you had any experience with either one of these?  I do not yet practice meditation; although I have been making use of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction.

But again once at school I will only add "relaxation and mobility" work to my physical training.  I will indeed be expending a lot of energy as you said.  What I am looking for right now is a program/path that will be of most benefit strength wise to prepare me for the year of school.  And I have at least 6 months, but probably more likely a year until there is an open slot for me (as the school is only started very 6 months in January and July.)  It is a tough school no doubt.  The current class started in January with 64 students and is currently down to 8.  So the time I put in now is very important.

Thanks again.

Gator,

I would like to offer my opinion as someone whose main client base is prospective military personnel and serving members attempting Special Forces Selection and who has had a 100% success rate over the last 5 years in getting guys into SF units including the US Army SF, Australian Commandos and numerous PolicE SWAT teams.

1. The guys above are correct in their assessment that once on course you are at the mercy of the instructors and you won;t be able to do much except look after your recovery as best as possible.

2. You are correct in wanting to build the nest base possible in the time before the course.

3. It is my opinion that something like the program minimum plus bodyweight stuff  is not going to be enough.

4. My experience is that to ensure SF selection success you must have a decent base of limit strength as well as stamina across a range of time intervals from 1 minute to several hours +

Therefore, when designing plans for my clients I build them up this way

1. A base of barbell and kettlebell strength.  Deadlifts for 3 sets of 5 at least once a week, Squats 3x5, bench 3x5, overhead press 5x5, TGU and low rep pullups, in your case 5x5 bodyweight at the moment but later progressing to added weight. Depending on the time to the course my guys do strength training 4 days per week, 3 or 2 days per week (less closer to the course) with no more than 3 exercises per session.

2. Kettlebell conditioning 2-4 times per week.  Swings or snatches on time intervals, max reps in 5, 10 or 15 minutes etc

3. 1 - 2 interval runs per week.  400, 800 and 1200 m runs with 2:1 work to rest ratio

4. One longer run, mostly in the 4 - 5km range but occasionally up to 8km.  I treat distance running as s skill that needs to be practiced, not as a primary conditioning tool.

5. One short pack march 6- 10 km and one long pack march 10 - 25km.  Pack marching starts about 4 months out from the course.

6. Circuit work with pushups, situps (useless for actual strength but a military staple and a necessary evil) short runs, kettlebell swings, pullups etc

Of course fitting all of this together can be complicated and toward the end of the process inevitably an SF candidate is performing 10 - 12 sessions per week, some as short as 20:00 and some as long as several hours.

If you would like to get a copy of a recent article I wrote for the military magazine CONTACT as well as some sample SF selection plans just let me know and I can email them to you.

Here's what I'd say- first you are prior service and have train up time and are starting early- you should be fine as long as you can swim okay and stay focused.

Swimming 200m in 10 min isn't really intended to select for super swimmers but jsut to make sure you can swim; however- the more efficient you are at swimming the fresher you will be for everything else.

You say you are weakest on pullups (me too brother) so I'd prioritize those.

I'd also alternate between bodyweight exercises and  greasing the groove on tested movements and kettlebell/pure strength workouts. Personally I like to focus on one for 2 weeks then switch (a Pavelism from somewhere long ago).

Once a week I'd string things together to train for the overall test duration but wouldn't do this everyday. In other words I would work for improvement on individual skill sets most of the time and only go into the 'performing while fatigued' thing about once a week - you can't disregard the effect of the other events (although there is a fair amount of rest built into the PAST as well) on your performance as you proceed but don't want to overtrain by trying to smoke eveything every day.

As far as the course itself goes there are 2 big keys: 1)Don't suck and 2) Don't quit.

Historically the vast majority of eliminations are SIE. It's not that freaking hard if you stay motivated. It's also a hell of a lot of fun as you progress.

Stay strong!

To be clear- in paragraph 4 that's "bodyweight exercises and greasing the groove" as 1 item (Do pushups situps and pullups!) and "kettlebell/max strength" as item 2.

Don,

Thanks for your input.

"I treat distance running as s skill that needs to be practiced, not as a primary conditioning tool."

I used to be a runner but have become a lot more of this opinion.

"Circuit work with pushups, situps (useless for actual strength but a military staple and a necessary evil)"

Yes a necessarry evil.  How great it would be if all branches centered their fitness training around max strength training.  But this is will be a necessary evil.  I think there will be some Crossfit PT going on at the school house as well.

I would appreciate taking a look at your sample materials.  You can email them to sickeyman@yahoo.com.  Thank you again.

Gator

Travis,

Have you been through the course?  Are you a SERE Instructor?  If so I would love to pic your brain a bit about the career.

My swimming is locked down enough I'll be done before most and able to maximize rest before going into the other events.  And I have been following the GTG calisthenics through the week and then using Saturday for condensed ladders for the exercises. 

"As far as the course itself goes there are 2 big keys: 1)Don’t suck and 2) Don’t quit.

Historically the vast majority of eliminations are SIE. It’s not that freaking hard if you stay motivated. It’s also a hell of a lot of fun as you progress."

Most of the skills and the rucking and exposure to the elements I've got plenty of experience with.  FAM and MOBILE phases wont be a problem at all.  The only two areas I have little to no experience with are Arctic and the POW components.  So I truly do look forward to the time at school as an overall great time.

Thanks again.

Gator

Pavel,

GTG Pullups.  Yes Sir.  Already on it. 

For longer term what do you recommend for my strength training?  ROP?  PM/PTTP 2 week flip flop?

Thank you for your input already.  Truly an honor.

Gator

Gator, GTG keeps working for a long time.  Next try the Fighter Pullup Program, and then go to ladders.

Best of luck with working towards assessment.  Remember though that you have to really want it and be just as mentally strong as you are physically.  You will WANT to quit at some point, prepare for that.

I only did 6 years and I've been out since 2007 but, yes, I was an instructor and I'm happy to chat about it- my email is my name as shown here with middle initial 'm' (no dots, no dashes) at yahoo.

As far as Artic and POW stuff go pretty much no one has any background in those and the POW component is a kick in the nuts pretty much no matter who you are anyway.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom