all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Valerys DVD free

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just playing devils advocate.....

If this is free why do we need to provide them with so much personal info, why can't they just provide a link (dropbox ect) to download it ?

Whenever I see something free online alarm bells start ringing.

For me it ticks most of the boxes for an online identity theft scam.

Offshore
Offering something free
Wants way too much personal info
The site is sub hosted on a long list of seemingly unrelated sites ( when you run no-script they are listed ) Most ( not all ) reputable sites dealing in credit card info don't do this. It seems to handling the CC details in a frame that could make this a moot point but I couldn't be bothered deconstructing the page to verify that.

I'm interested but I'd never give that much personal info to anyone online, with a name address, email, phone number, & credit card details all you'd have to do is establish a date of birth and you could do anything you wanted with that info.

I run no-script so possibly the link (if it is a link) to their privacy policy doesn't work for me, all I see is grayed out text stating "We respect your privacy & Information" which seems like a hollow promise.

Isn't this place the cutting edge of Kettlebell technique and safety anyway ?

Good point @Tarzan, didn't ordered it due to privacy issues. I was pretty excited about it first thou.

Just playing devils advocate.....

If this is free why do we need to provide them with so much personal info, why can't they just provide a link (dropbox ect) to download it ?

Whenever I see something free online alarm bells start ringing.

For me it ticks most of the boxes for an online identity theft scam.

Offshore
Offering something free
Wants way too much personal info
The site is sub hosted on a long list of seemingly unrelated sites ( when you run no-script they are listed ) Most ( not all ) reputable sites dealing in credit card info don't do this. It seems to handling the CC details in a frame that could make this a moot point but I couldn't be bothered deconstructing the page to verify that.

I'm interested but I'd never give that much personal info to anyone online, with a name address, email, phone number, & credit card details all you'd have to do is establish a date of birth and you could do anything you wanted with that info.

I run no-script so possibly the link (if it is a link) to their privacy policy doesn't work for me, all I see is grayed out text stating "We respect your privacy & Information" which seems like a hollow promise.

Isn't this place the cutting edge of Kettlebell technique and safety anyway ?

Even putting aside the identity theft risk, this offer raises two common issues:
--"Free" offers where the shipping and handling fee turns the transaction into a profitable sale. I didn't get far enough to see what the fee is, but @Tarzan makes a good point about offering a physical DVD rather than a download. Sending you a physical DVD is an excuse to charge something and collect more specific information.

--If it's free, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold. It isn't always as simple as this, and this doesn't mean it might not be a good deal for you (do you use gmail or other Google services?), but understand the dynamics of the situation. If someone is offering something to get your information, how is that information valuable to them and how might it be used?

edit:
DVD today for free plus shipping and handling. Basically, you cover our expenses and we'll give our frontline product away, just to hook you in.
I think that states that you will end up paying only for shipping. But the actual DVD is free.
Whether the shipping price is going to be fair is a different matter.
---

To be fair though,

You'll need to provide CC details for most "free" trials. For example, Netflix.
Since this is a physical product, verifying that the CC is valid is a way to avoid abuse from multiple orders by the same individual, who might resell the product (a digital copy can also be resold, but a physical one implies a cost for the producer).

Regarding NoScript, I do not see any malicious JS. (Explanations in brackets for non-tech people).
Bootstrap (Most used User Interface kit for websites),
Stripe (one of the most used alternatives to Paypal),
ClickFunnels (A way to set up a sale page, which sets everything up for those who don't know how to code or design. Like Foursquare, or Shopify),
Facebook,
DoubleClick (Google company, used for marketing),
Google Ads.

Regarding the Privacy Policy, it's not that different from a multi-page contract where the final line is "Terms can be unilaterally changed without prior notice yada yada we will do whatever anyways" found on Facebook, Google, etc.
---
Depending on your location, banks offer prepaid cards that are supplemental to your account with their own number.
You can only be charged whatever you have already prepaid, and nothing more.

But in the end, it doesn't matter.

Another Day, Another Hack: 117 Million LinkedIn Emails And Passwords
Netflix Has Been Hacked – Here’s How To Check If Your Account Is Affected | Her.ie
Target settles 'Nightmare Before Xmas' data breach for $18.5 million

Last edited:
Damn, peeps, they’re free (minus s&h). If you’re worried about your security, purchase on a prepaid debit card, using a VPN and Tor, etc with an anonymous name and a P.O box. I just hope some of you haven’t purchased online before (as your info is not that hard to get) with certain OS’, etc.

Point is they’re free DVD’s from a very well educated GS coach. This site amazes me daily with the comments made on things. I guess that’s the point of a forum though....:rolleyes:

I ordered it on Monday. I use a Discover card dedicated for all my online purchases. Most all reputable credit card companies don’t hold you responsible for fraudulent charges. That being said I NEVER under any circumstances use my debit card for anything other than drawing cash out of the ATM. If the credit card gets hacked then they’re the ones that’s out the money...not me. But if your debit card gets hacked thats your money straight out of your checking or savings account. Yeah most banks will eventually reimburse you but it usually takes weeks if not months and a ton of paperwork.

The main thing I always look for when buying online is “https”. When I’m taken to the payment page if I don’t see https in the address bar then it’s a no go. I’m sure it’s not always failsafe but I’ve purchased hundreds of products online and never had a problem. And don’t use your debit card for any kind of purchase that requires you to stick the card in a reader such as for gas or groceries. Skimmers are everywhere nowadays and they’re not always easily recognizable. Use a credit card or pay cash.

As far as Valery’s dvd is concerned..... shipping & handling is $9.95. Yes that’s a little more than I would’ve preferred to pay but I’m not going to quibble over a few bucks. The dvd itself is about an hour and a half long and covers 10 fundamental kb lifts. That’s averages out to a little less than 10 minutes spent per lift so it’s not an in depth study. Which is the point of their promotion..... to upsell you their 3 dvd course for $99.95 that is an in depth study. This is a typical marketing strategy employed by most businesses today. Call it a bait and switch if you want but nobody is forcing you to buy the upsell.

My reason for purchasing is I’m curious about GS and haven’t been able to find any good sources for instruction. I figure it’s worth $10 to see if it’s something I might like to intermingle with my Strongfirst training.

Last edited:
Received the DVD today. I will watch it when I get a chance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom