all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Variety Day Exercises for Rifle Carry?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Those look like strong, safe swings to me. There are a few things you could work on improving, but you’re most of the way there, in my opinion. Don’t worry about your knees coming forward a little bit, that’s fine. I would try to keep your shoulder from pulling forward at the top of your swings. And of course, like most of us, you could focus on getting more into your hips at the back most portion of the movement.

But keep doing what you’re doing.

-S-
Thanks! What exactly do you mean by "getting into the hips more"?

Thanks! What exactly do you mean by "getting into the hips more"?

At the backmost place in the movement, have your hips be both further back and lower.

A good practice drill: hip hinge with a dowel at your back touching the back of your head, in between your shoulder blades, and your tailbone. While keeping your weight balanced between fore- and back-foot, keep pushing your hips back and down until you can't go any further, and do this with as little forward knee movement as necessary to keep your balance. When you find that spot - hips and hamstrings stretched as far as they'll go - then you've found what to look for at the back of your swing. Because there's a heavy piece of iron moving backwards during the actual swing, you won't get as low as you can when you do the above drill, but the idea is the same - load your hips so that they are like a pulled-back bow, then release that tension drive your hips forward.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom