all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vitamin C - Can Lead to Kidney Stones?

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor

Interesting - I have never taken supplementary Vitamin C, always made me feel worse, not better, but I know some people swear by it.

-S-

I've been taking it with collagen since it is supposed to help with collagen synthesis. I'll make sure my dose is low since it's a powdered vit C supplement that I add to my collagen. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting - I have never taken supplementary Vitamin C, always made me feel worse, not better, but I know some people swear by it.

-S-
Looks more like a fairly insignificant correlation.

Wait a few weeks, there be a study that hints at the opposite because a lab rat ate a vitamin C tablet and lived 18minutes longer than the others.

Supplements are a funny thing. I'm torn between my usual mix of cynicism and optimism. I take them but recognize that they probably don't do much (or anything at all).

That said, I wouldn't worry at all about kidney stones as long as I'm drinking plenty of water and not living on Vitamin C. If I was someone apparently prone to kidney stones then yeah, I'd absolutely avoid them but, knock on wood, that's not a problem I have.

TL: Unless you are a patient with advanced renal failure, the answer appears to be no. In fact, very large studies have clearly defined that vitamin C not only does not cause kidney stones in patients with normal kidney function, it will often help to dissolve stones that were already present before the vitamin C administration began.
Vitamin C Infection Fighter

I’ve never bought into vitamin c being there to boost my immune system. I’ve never worried about it or taken it and I might get sick once every 2-3 years. Hopefully it stays that way.

I’m running on a third of a kidney on one side. The last two times I tried creatine, years ago, I got kidney stones just small one’s but so many that I could have made a necklace. When I was in the army and had urinary track infections they gave me ascorbic acid and it cleared up. In my opinion (who am I?) based on my limited knowledge the biggest concern with C is its ability to help absorb iron. It’s said that men with hemochromatosis (high iron levels) should not take C. Some say vitamin C is the granddaddy of antioxidants but I have never felt better or worse when taking it. The best prevention of kidney stones is to drink water.

I’m running on a third of a kidney on one side. The last two times I tried creatine, years ago, I got kidney stones just small one’s but so many that I could have made a necklace. When I was in the army and had urinary track infections they gave me ascorbic acid and it cleared up. In my opinion (who am I?) based on my limited knowledge the biggest concern with C is its ability to help absorb iron. It’s said that men with hemochromatosis (high iron levels) should not take C. Some say vitamin C is the granddaddy of antioxidants but I have never felt better or worse when taking it. The best prevention of kidney stones is to drink water.
I don't know your health history, but when my ferritin was high I was advised to become a frequent blood donor, which I have done, Ferritin levels are under control and I'm Vitamin C'ng even harder these days. YMMV.

I don't know your health history, but when my ferritin was high I was advised to become a frequent blood donor, which I have done, Ferritin levels are under control and I'm Vitamin C'ng even harder these days. YMMV.
I don’t have high ferritin levels I did research for a friend. Even if I did a blood draw they would have to dispose of it because I had hepatitis C but I went on interferon for 3 months and am cured. History- around 1989 I got shot in the shoulder and received 4 pints of blood before they started testing.
Glad for you that your levels are under control. I only take 1000mg of liposomal C daily along with glycine.

I don’t have high ferritin levels I did research for a friend. Even if I did a blood draw they would have to dispose of it because I had hepatitis C but I went on interferon for 3 months and am cured. History- around 1989 I got shot in the shoulder and received 4 pints of blood before they started testing.
Glad for you that your levels are under control. I only take 1000mg of liposomal C daily along with glycine.
Welcome to the Liposomal club!! Its expensive, but extremely effective. BTW, the rule of thumb on a good liposomal that because of the extremely high cellular absorption its equivalent to close to 10g of the oral stuff.

-S-
Might have something to do with the source, ascorbic acid, roughly corn starch baked with hydrochloric acid and acetone. Not like they're using powdered acerola cherries , oranges, camu, or kakadu plum powder

Back
Top Bottom