all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vitamin C - Can Lead to Kidney Stones?

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm struggling to pass a kidney stone and it's a painful experience. I came to the forum searched for "kidney stone" and this is the first hit I get.
I took collagen with vit C at night before going to bed and limiting my water intake to avoid waking up during the night to go to the bathroom.
At one point during the past autumn I did some test and the stone wasn't there.
In general I'm careful to consume adequate amount of water during the day to process everything and get it cleared out of my system.
I have to say that moving forward I won't be taking anymore vitamin C. I used to add tiny a tiny amount of salt to my glass of water in order to enhance hydration I will stop doing that unless I did some heavy sweating.
I know it's a sample of one and I might have a genetic predisposition (my grandfather had kidney stones) but maybe my experience helps you avoid the same problem.

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm struggling to pass a kidney stone and it's a painful experience. I came to the forum searched for "kidney stone" and this is the first hit I get.
I took collagen with vit C at night before going to bed and limiting my water intake to avoid waking up during the night to go to the bathroom.
In general I'm careful to consume adequate amount of water during the day to process everything and get it cleared out of my system.
I have to say that moving forward I won't be taking anymore vitamin C. I used to add tiny a tiny amount of salt to my glass of water in order to enhance hydration I will stop doing that unless I did some heavy sweating.
I know it's a sample of one and I might have a genetic predisposition (my grandfather had kidney stones) but maybe my experience helps you avoid the same problem.
I would recommend talking to your doctor and seeing what he suggests lead to your kidney stone, and what he suggests you could do for prevention or testing.

Hi everyone,

EDIT: I'm assuming its a Calcium Oxalate stone and not a uric acid stone.

Sorry I missed this. I didn't have the Watch Thread selected on this thread. Lots of distilled water, citrate and magnesium will help (doesn't have to be magnesium citrate but that will help). Citrate chelates calcium and magnesium is a calcium agonist. Personally, my last bad one was 10 years ago and if I'd known what I know now I would have drank constantly even if it meant being up every 2 hours at night.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll talk to my doctor about what could have generated this, but overall my nutrition and supplement stack remained the same with this exception.
Usually I take magnesium ( this one Magnesium reduces tirednes) before bed with vit c and collagen, now I'll skip the vit C.
I have read that to get a good amount of citrate I should drink around 120ml of lemon juice per day. Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom