wake me up exercises

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by Anth, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Anth

Anth Double-Digit Post Count

Hello!

Does anyone have any recommendations for mid-day/work-day "wake me up" exercises or routines? I teach at a high school and I have a rotating schedule, which means at different times every day I have 65 minutes alone in my classroom. Sitting in a quiet room in a comfortable chair after teaching 2-3 classes (loudly and with gusto) can really mess with your energy levels. Sometimes I have to go from being louder than and managing twenty teenagers to reading or grading papers in silence. I get very drowsy/tired at these times, so I'm looking for exercies to wake me up, but that I can do in dress pants and a tie, in my classroom. (I do a lot of walking, so that doesn't do much for me).

I'm also currently doing S&S and I just started working with the 32, so I'm looking for an exercise that could complement that. I used to GTG with push ups and pull ups, but being just over 100kg bodyweight and working with the 32, it was just too much, so I stopped the push ups and pull ups.

I was thinking the hardstyle plank, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Tim Randolph and Discipulus like this.
  2. J Cox

J Cox Double-Digit Post Count

I work in an office myself. Lots of sitting at a desk, but I realized I have a desk. I started doing some elevated pistols and one-arm pushups. I just focus on by the eccentric of each, trying to dial in the requires tension. I find just attempting one per limb of pistol/one-arm pushups I get a nice perk in my energy.

Steve Freides and Anth like this.
  3. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Handstand. Not to tiring, forces a lot of activation.

Hang from something.

Steve Freides, J Cox and Anth like this.
  4. Anth

Anth Double-Digit Post Count

Yes! I need to find a place to hang. Good idea!

Steve Freides likes this.
  5. q.Hung

q.Hung More than 500 posts

i like overhead squat, or goblet squat. First one opens your chest and the second opens your hips.

Steve Freides likes this.
  6. Marc

Marc Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Handstands are nice but not everyone can do them (in fact, how many actually can?).
    I'd say burpees.

7. banzaiengr

banzaiengr Quadruple-Digit Post Count

10 mile barefoot run on broken glass carrying a twelve pack of Blue Ribbon in each hand.

J Cox and offwidth like this.
  8. Oscar

Oscar Quadruple-Digit Post Count

10 bodyweight squats and some push ups. Dont know if your clothes allow this.

If you can have a kettlebell, some swings.

Discipulus, Steve Freides and Anth like this.
  9. Neuro-Bob

Neuro-Bob More than 2500 posts

I would just go for a walk. You’re still at work so I assume you don’t want to sweat very much. Walking would be good for “health” and the low back.

offwidth and Steve Freides like this.
  10. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

I guess I should stay wall handstands. I think most strong folks, with just a little practice, can do a handstand with feet against the wall.

For me, it doesn't take many burpees before I'm a sweaty mess.

11. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

Learn some Qigong...

12. elli

elli More than 2500 posts

look for '(mindful) chair yoga' on youtube.
    some exercises on balance pad -barefoot
    thera band
    banded side steps
    juggling
    grippers
    SJ

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. Steve Freides

Steve Freides StrongFirst Director of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

Stretch.

-S-

Kiacek likes this.
  14. augustinewilliam

augustinewilliam Still New to StrongFirst Forum

If you can sneak in a workout before this period of tiredness, though, “you can potentially offset it and increase production and wakefulness,” Zimmerman says. “Exercise floods the body with hormones and excitatory neurotransmitters that allow us to power through this time.”

15. Tim Randolph

Tim Randolph Double-Digit Post Count

Single arm, one leg contralateral deadlifts. Not many exercises wake up as much as these guys do. I like them for gtg, but a couple of sets of these would change your sleepy hour for sure.

WhatWouldHulkDo likes this.