all posts post new thread

Old Forum walking vs running plus SS

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
Wanted to ask if walking or running would be better with SS.  From a general health perspective.  I'm not training for any event, just overall health.  I find running quite difficult on the body.  It's not that I lack the strength, I have completed SS with the 32kg, Can do farmers walks with beasts for half a mile, but when it comes to running 3 miles, its a different kind of hard.

Thanks

It depends.  Personally I would hate to lose the ability to run, so I run.  I am a better runner at 47 than I was at 27.  For me it is one of the great joys of life.  However, you don't have to run to be healthy.  Walking is enough.

I combine running with SS and have no problems recovering.

I'd walk.  I ran for 25 years, now I only run when something is chasing me. :)  Running, if your form is good, is still much harder on your body than walking, and walking is truly a restorative form of movement and mild exercise.  Walk and enjoy.

-S-

You could run for 10-15 minutes, relaxed.

Or you could alternate running with walking. Run for 5 minutes, walk for 5 minutes, and so on for a a total of 25 minutes or so.

No need to run 3 miles if you find that hard on your body.

Solid advice from everyone!

Run, if you run well without repercussions

walking is never a bad idea

you could also add in rucking

Steve,

I used to enjoy running quite a bit myself, and was pretty good at it.  Then, in my early 30's, I didnt enjoy it any more and quit.  I tried a few times to get back into running but it just didn't stick.

Back in my running days, I would wear the kind of squishy shoes we all know to avoid now.  I was a very heavy heal striker, which in hindsight was not the best thing.  Ever since Born to Run came out, I thought if I ever started running again it would either run barefooted or with minimalist shoes like Chuck Tailors.

Just out of curiosity, were you a squishy shoe wearing heavy heal heal striker back in your running days?  Do you think easing into running while wearing thin soled shoes and landing gently and quietly on the ground would still be hard on the body?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom