all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Warm up for snatch test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jordan Vaughan

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I have my SFG 1 cert in October, and will be attempting the snatch test this Friday.

I have been running an A+A protocol for the last 6 weeks, so want to test how close I can get to the SFG standard with whilst only training 5 rep repeats.

I am wandering what would be an optimal warm up for the test, particularly from an energy system point of view.

Thanks!

There's probably an answer to this question, but it shouldn't matter. It's a 4-5 minute pass/fail competency test, not a competitive event.

The goal should be to be able to crank it out on demand at a submaximal effort. If you use the 20/20/15/15/10/10/5/5 (which IIRC you mentioned in a previous thread), you want to get to the point where the first 70 reps are relatively easy, and it only starts to get uncomfortable near the end.

Personally, I have never done any specific warm up for the snatch test (practice or at a cert).

Goblet squat and some Shadow swings (or speed swings or overspeed eccentric swings) is what I've done the times ive done Snatch tests. (for TSC or "fun"). rest for a few minutes and then into the snatch test. it seems to prime my power output for snatches (could be biological and/or Psychological) I suggest experimenting and finding what movements re-enforces power and the fundamental movement.

Alternate for two sets of each: 1) 2-Arm Swing Reset (AKA Dead-Stop) x 5 with something heavier than you're going to snatch; 2) Snatch x 8+8 with about 75% of your snatch weight. Do a set of swings minute 1, a set of 8 snatches per side minute 2, swings minute 3 again, and snatches again minute 4. Rest no less than 3 minutes then perform your snatch test.

This is not a warm-up you'll have the luxury of doing at the certification, but it is a fantastic ballistics warm-up when you're training on your own.

I am wandering what would be an optimal warm up for the test, particularly from an energy system point of view.

The more you can get the aerobic system to contribute to the snatch test effort, the better off you'll be. The aerobic system takes a few minutes to ramp up, and it varies by individual. I look at it this way:
  • If you have poor aerobic fitness, warm-up matters less. You'll be relying heavily on glycolysis anyway to get the test done. (This is entirely possible, but it's miserable and you'll feel smoked afterwards).
  • If you have decent/average aerobic fitness AND you take a few minutes to "ramp up" your aerobic system (5-10 min of walking, a few minutes of light jogging in place, jumping jacks), it will contribute more to your effort. You'll perform better and feel better afterwards.
  • If you have REALLY good aerobic fitenss, one feature of being aerobically fit is that your aerobic energy system "ramps up" quicker. So as little as 1-2 minutes of the above warm-up might do the trick. The snatch test will be easy, IF you're also strong and snatch well. If you're a skinny triathlete type, you'll still have a hard time with the muscular endurance and power portion, but your breathing and heart rate won't be your limiter.
I usually do 50 jumping jacks, maybe 2 min of jumprope, 10 min of walking... one of these, with another minute or two to settle back down before starting. Get the heart rate and breathing slightly elevated without bringing on any fatigue. I'll also make sure to do at least one set of 5 snatches with each hand a minute or two prior to starting the snatch test, perhaps with a bit of extra hold at the top position. This helps warm up the muscles for good snatches. Doesn't matter much if I do the areobic warm-up first or the snatch and hold first, but I've found that both help. Just keep it light -- don't fatigue yourself or take anything away from the performance of the test.

But keep in mind that no one will provide you a specific opportunity to warm up prior to the test at the cert, so you'll have to take it upon yourself to step away and do a few jumping jacks or whatever you decide is your ideal warm-up. Don't worry too much about the specific timing of it, but do what you can if you are able. Even a few bodyweight goblet squats or some "fast and loose" can help.

There's probably an answer to this question, but it shouldn't matter. It's a 4-5 minute pass/fail competency test, not a competitive event.

The goal should be to be able to crank it out on demand at a submaximal effort. If you use the 20/20/15/15/10/10/5/5 (which IIRC you mentioned in a previous thread), you want to get to the point where the first 70 reps are relatively easy, and it only starts to get uncomfortable near the end.

Personally, I have never done any specific warm up for the snatch test (practice or at a cert).
You are right, the test should be comfortable and be able to be done at a moments notice. But if I can do anything to make it a smaller biological cost, I’m going to do it. 2 minutes of preparation to make it 5 minutes of uncomfortable rather than 5 minutes of suck...

Goblet squat and some Shadow swings (or speed swings or overspeed eccentric swings) is what I've done the times ive done Snatch tests. (for TSC or "fun"). rest for a few minutes and then into the snatch test. it seems to prime my power output for snatches (could be biological and/or Psychological) I suggest experimenting and finding what movements re-enforces power and the fundamental movement.
You have a weird sense of ‘fun’.

Definitely some sort of movement prep, like Goblet squats and Halos will be useful.

Alternate for two sets of each: 1) 2-Arm Swing Reset (AKA Dead-Stop) x 5 with something heavier than you're going to snatch; 2) Snatch x 8+8 with about 75% of your snatch weight. Do a set of swings minute 1, a set of 8 snatches per side minute 2, swings minute 3 again, and snatches again minute 4. Rest no less than 3 minutes then perform your snatch test.

This is not a warm-up you'll have the luxury of doing at the certification, but it is a fantastic ballistics warm-up when you're training on your own.
Thanks for the reply @Arryn Grogan! I’m a fan of yours and Holly’s insta page.

I’ll definitely use this in future, I’ll let you know how I get on when I test...

The more you can get the aerobic system to contribute to the snatch test effort, the better off you'll be. The aerobic system takes a few minutes to ramp up, and it varies by individual. I look at it this way:
  • If you have poor aerobic fitness, warm-up matters less. You'll be relying heavily on glycolysis anyway to get the test done. (This is entirely possible, but it's miserable and you'll feel smoked afterwards).
  • If you have decent/average aerobic fitness AND you take a few minutes to "ramp up" your aerobic system (5-10 min of walking, a few minutes of light jogging in place, jumping jacks), it will contribute more to your effort. You'll perform better and feel better afterwards.
  • If you have REALLY good aerobic fitenss, one feature of being aerobically fit is that your aerobic energy system "ramps up" quicker. So as little as 1-2 minutes of the above warm-up might do the trick. The snatch test will be easy, IF you're also strong and snatch well. If you're a skinny triathlete type, you'll still have a hard time with the muscular endurance and power portion, but your breathing and heart rate won't be your limiter.
I usually do 50 jumping jacks, maybe 2 min of jumprope, 10 min of walking... one of these, with another minute or two to settle back down before starting. Get the heart rate and breathing slightly elevated without bringing on any fatigue. I'll also make sure to do at least one set of 5 snatches with each hand a minute or two prior to starting the snatch test, perhaps with a bit of extra hold at the top position. This helps warm up the muscles for good snatches. Doesn't matter much if I do the areobic warm-up first or the snatch and hold first, but I've found that both help. Just keep it light -- don't fatigue yourself or take anything away from the performance of the test.

But keep in mind that no one will provide you a specific opportunity to warm up prior to the test at the cert, so you'll have to take it upon yourself to step away and do a few jumping jacks or whatever you decide is your ideal warm-up. Don't worry too much about the specific timing of it, but do what you can if you are able. Even a few bodyweight goblet squats or some "fast and loose" can help.
Thanks for the detail @Anna C! My aerobic system has always been one of my strong points, as a national cross country and 1500m runner.

I have been working on my strength and technique with A+A work, so hopefully it’ll pay off and show when I test. I have been doing a 2 minute snatch sprint at the start of the sessions at a 4 minute snatch test pace.

You’re reply has been super useful! I’ll post how I get on when I test.

You are right, the test should be comfortable and be able to be done at a moments notice. But if I can do anything to make it a smaller biological cost, I’m going to do it. 2 minutes of preparation to make it 5 minutes of uncomfortable rather than 5 minutes of suck...

@Anna C gave a great answer and I agree that getting your aerobic system revved up is a good idea. I'd expect you already have a good sense of this from you competitive running experience.

I have no argument against doing it this way, but I also would not expect it to make a VERY dramatic difference in perceived level of exertion.

Mentally, I just like to take an IDGAF attitude and have confidence that I'm trained up to walk up and knock out my reps, no big deal. I like the feeling of not needing any special preparation and not caring whether I have the opportunity to warm up ideally or not. That's just my personality and mental comfort zone, and I feel that the peace of mind that this approach gives ME is of greater benefit than any physical benefits of warming up.

If it were a competitive event like a TSC, where you are trying to get max reps in 5 minutes instead of just knocking out 100 and calling it a day, I would approach it differently. When I play basketball, which is my main competitive recreational sport, I do have a physical and skills warm up routine that I try to stick to as much as circumstances allow.

My aerobic system has always been one of my strong points, as a national cross country and 1500m runner.

Yeah you're good on aerobic fitness, then. I should have added, since a highly developed aerobic system can ramp up so quickly, it will actually do this during the 5 minutes of the snatch test, if you start from a totally relaxed state and don't get in any sort of warm-up. I suspect you could make it work to your advantage by starting out with a slower pace than you are capable of for the first 1-2 minutes. That way your body doesn't jump as much into glycolysis and will actually bring the aerobic system into the effort better. (I have no proof of this, but I feel like can feel this happening when I do it myself.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom