all posts post new thread

Old Forum Warm-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hide

Level 1 Valued Member
Dear all,

I have a question concerning warm up. I am 39 years old, I am coming back to physicla training after a 3 years break. I used to practicing full contact Karate for more than 10 years.
I am doing the same warm up routine I used for Karate practice, mainly joints mouvements.
I am not sure that it is appropriate for Kettlebell training. What is for you the best warm up before a S&S training?
Thanks

Ps: I am training at home, so I don't have any rower or materials other than the KB.

Hi Tux-  Pavel details a specific 3 exercise/ move warmup routine in the book.  If you don't have a copy  you should get one.  Good luck.

Michael, thank you for your answer.
You mean that if I do five times the "Prying goblet squat", the "Hip bridge" and the "Halo" and I am ready? No cardio or general body exercises?

Sorry to insist but I know that I am subject to muscle injuries so I don't want to start S&S program and stop it after few practices because of an inju

Tux, as written in S&S, do 3 sets of those three exercises as you should be ready for action.  Some days I add pumps (down/up dog) and lunge stretches to keep my hips loose for kicking later in the day, but not much really.  I'm 40, so I'm learning to listen to my body and do more warm-up and restorative work as required.

Cardio is not going to do anything to prevent injury in the workout. If you want to do some extra joint mobility, go ahead, but I wouldn't do more than that. Following the program as written, paying attention to details, and keeping the "easy strength" idea in mind is key to progression and safety. I'm almost 40, use bells up to and including the 48kg, depending on what I'm working on, and often do no warmup, or 5-10 minutes at most. Zero injuries, zero soreness.

With regard to the prying goblet squats in S&S warmup (3 x 5), what duration do you spend down in the squat for each rep?

I'm sure if varies, but was curious about the range that most folks are finding most effective and efficient.

Tux Fred: May I recommend Original Strength if you are scared of injuries? I am not as sure as others that you get bulletproof by using it but I think the resets are a good warm up. Contains lot of basic movements.

Bill: I always do goblet squats for sets of 10 and do a relaxed breath type of thing at the bottom. Works good for me.

Cardio may not help to reduce injury on its own, but I find a little bit of cardio/aerobic work is good for warming up.

Hopping on rower or skipping rope for 5 minutes gets the muscles warm and makes the stretches more effective for me. With this I'm not trying to do any real work, but just getting the blood flowing and preparing for the real work.

Tux-  That is what Pavel recommends in the book for the S&S program.  I've just started it up myself and so far, so good.  I usually prefer shorter warmups myself [even though in my late-40's] so find myself getting a bit impatient with even just the 3 sets of 5.  But I'm giving it a go as written.

Thanks you all for your answers!
I will go by the book and I will see what happen. Your feedback made me more comfortable with this warm up that is far from the standards I have been taught and by used for years (maybe it is the reason why I add some muscular injuries).

Allan thanks for the link.
The forum is very instructive but not convenient to browse ^_^

Tux, karate warm-ups have a lot of unnecessary and even counterproductive exercises (e.g., forward bends from a wide stance).

Use the basic S&S warm-up or look up my book Super Joints.

Dear Pavel, thank you for your answer. I will start with the basic S&S warm-up and will try to find your Super Joints book to upgrade my warm up and my flexibility.

Any cardio vascular at low then medium intensity to raise your heart rate, this allow the blood to circulate quicker and to give the nutrients to the working muscles for your work out, whatever the fitness tool.

Then, mobility exercises and dynamic stretching, trying to keep your HR at the same intensity.

A proper warm up for a proper training last all together 20 minutes or longer, and it is the best way to avoid injuries.

( sorry, English is not my first language, but sports and injuries preventions are part of my job )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom