all posts post new thread

Old Forum warrior diet question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

D.McFarland

Level 5 Valued Member
little history I don't really want to lose any weight currently 185 lbs, 14% body fat. I wouldn't mind dropping a little body fat but its not something Im willing to pursue vigorously. Im currently only interested in eating for strength and health (doing SS for the forseeable future). I have bee n fasting for 16 hours a day eating for 8 and loosely paleo with potatoes and rice , for about a year with good results. with out being complicated.

I just read the warrior diet after hearing about it on hear and it interested me. Im thinking of giving it a shot because of some of the health claims that are made in the book. the food cycling kind of made sense to me in light of hunter gatherer kind of life.

has anyone used his way of food cycling, detox (no meat), high fat, high protein? how did it effect your well being and training???? Im curious how cutting out meat for the time periods that he recommends at first would effect people. or do most people just follow the fast for 20 over eat for 4 part of the diet???

DMC, I lived on WD for years and still periodically come back to it.  I lost muscle but I gained a lot of energy and time.  In my observation and that of a number of SF instructors, it makes it very easy to get and stay lean.

Note that I am not a nutrition expert; the above are just personal observations.

Pavel,

While you lost muscle mass, did you also lose strength or stamina?

d mcfarland, I've follwed the WD for years.  It's not fasting, it's undereating, and that's an important distinction.

I am loose with my interpretation, and I'd like to think that I'm "intuitive" with it, listening to my body and adapting to my circumstances.  I do fast during the day once in a while, when it feels like a good thing to do to me; those times are usually after I've eaten poorly the day before, or eaten too much the day before, or am feeling sick - you detox better that way.

I think you can detox well following Ori's undereating-period suggestions but they've never worked for me.  I prefer small portions of food with some protein and/or fat in it, and sometimes carbs, during the day.  I typically have homemade almond butter with my coffee and vitamins in the morning, and if I'm in the mood, I'll also have a piece of fruit.  I usually have a Dale's Raw Food Bar in the middle of the day.  (Link to Dale's Raw Food Bars: http://www.mcssl.com/app?af=1557995 - this uses my affiliate ID.)

I also cycle my eating to match my life - I eat more on the weekends, and I eat more carbs and sweets on the weekends, too.   Many years, I have eaten more in the winter and less in the summer.

I'm a 150 lb. human who doesn't want to weigh more - this approach works for me.  But you have to keep things in perspective - I was skinny when I started eating this way and I'm still skinny.  Overall, I am more muscular and less fat than when I started, but not by more than a few pounds and that's all the changed I wanted, anyway.

That's how I do it - hope that's helpful to you to read.

-S-

If you are big and/or active it works well to only consume liquid calories during the first half of the day.  That way you satisfy your appetite without having a full stomach.

I have been practicing Fast-5 for several months, quite similar i.e. fast 19 hours, eat as much as you feel to for 4 hours.  I do not really know, more just speculation, but I see no real world reason for having the "big feed" in the evening other than social convenience (admittedly a big issue). But in terms of physiology and having nutrients available when your body wants them so you don't cannibalize anything but mostly your own fat, I would think that the best format would be to follow as it is written but to have your big meal immediately (within an hour or so) after training hard. That way you get the growth hormone bump etc of training fasted but right after that, when glycogen and everything else is as used up as its going to get, you fuel up to build/rebuild. If you train in the morning as many do, and wait until evening to eat you will definitely be eating muscle tissue, converting it to blood sugar and then playing "catch-up" using what you eat then.  Why go backwards to go forwards? Why not put the fuel in when it is really needed for growth and then rest the system?  Again, this is meant as a question not a statement of fact but seems to me that it could be the answer to not losing or not losing nearly as much muscle from eating this way.

I have always questioned what constitutes a work out that desrves a recovery meal or the large feast meal? I workout harder during my workdays than I do during a workout. That being said, I try every permutation of the fasting practice. Will be trying the 8 hour fast soon. Personally, I much prefer the four hour window to eat and water (coffee and tea also) during the day, just way less hassle.

I have always questioned what constitutes a work out that desrves a recovery meal or the large feast meal?
I question that as well but sort of figure there are two main factors 1) glycogen stores 2) available free amino acids.   Depleting glycogen takes a long hard work out but after 15 or 18 hours fasting maybe not nearly so much!? Amino acids I just don't know about.  I do like the 4 hour free range grazing though and just water, herb tea, coffee the rest of the time; nothing to trigger insulin or raise blood sugar.

The WD model is to workout after work, then eat.  If you workout in the morning or midday, you have to adjust a bit.

-S-

i'm a short stocky guy - 5'6" currently 195 - I started S&S 2 weeks ago, prior to that was on the ETK PM as my base training for about 2 years.  I've been doing a relaxed WD for about a year, relaxed means my food choices at night sometimes include Ben & Jerry's.  I fast all day, even when I train in the morning, my fast is a 16oz cup of coffee with some half/half in the morning and either a 2nd cup same way or a cup of tea midday.  I wake around 5:15, train from 5:30 to 6am, have a cup of coffee around 7am and nurse it most of the morning.  I break the fast at about 5pm and eat off and on until 8:30 or 9pm.  I may throw another training session in somewhere in that slot or right before bed.  when I eat at 5pm, I begin with a salad of greens, tomato and avocado and some protein, like chicken or tuna.  then I eat whatever dinner we prepare for the family, usually a plate with vegetable, protein and some grain like rice, sometimes bread or pasta - the grain is the smallest part of the plate, that's typically around 630pm.  after that I have nuts, raisins, dark chocolate and I have 2 girls who like to bake, so there's always fresh cookies, brownies, etc which is why I am 195 and not 180 - but i'm happy!  the fasting portion is my preference during the week when I am working, frankly it's easier NOT to eat.  on the weekends I may have a couple of beers and a sandwich watching football, so I keep it loose.  then reason I feel strong and healthy is because of Pavel, swings and get ups.  for me, more than diet, this is the defining foundation of my health.  I eat like a kid, 80% is good stuff,  20% is stuff that tastes good.  when I train I train 100% as an adult and that makes all the difference.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom