all posts post new thread

Nutrition Ways of eating that really worked for you....

I'm American. I use Freedom Units :)

In maintenance and bulking, I go for about 1g per pound. So ~205g per day. When on a cut, I'll kick it up a bit to 1.1 or 1.2g per pound (using leaner cuts of meat so calories go down but protein goes up).
1.1 -1,2g protein per pound for your target body weight or for your current weight (from which you want to lose weight)?

1.1 -1,2g protein per pound for your target body weight or for your current weight (from which you want to lose weight)?
Depends on timing. If I had time (say 2 or 3 months) to gain the weight, I’d do 1.1 - 1.2 of my current weight and gain weight slowly. Bumping my protein up as my body weight goes up. If I didn’t have a lot of time (say a month), I’d do 1.1 - 1.2 of my target weight. I’d gain pretty quickly, and it would taper off.

I seem to have some digestive system problems. Been staying 70kg for about 6 years, no matter how or what I eat, the bodyweight stays the same. Even when I got leaner or more muscular, that number never changed.

Intermittent fasting (albeit with loads of coffee) was great during the pandemic (after some days of agony while adapting).
Had tremendous mental focus, the (home based) training was great, and the craving for chocolate and other sweets virtually vanished. Basically, I did not anything eat before about 16.00, after which I ate a lot of lentils, beans, vegetables and fish.

Training on an empty stomach is less of an option when training long martial arts sessions, though, which I of course went back to doing when the pandemic restrictions were reduced. And unfortunately, I have not been very good at netiher cooking or eating as healthy or clean the last year and a half.

Depends on timing. If I had time (say 2 or 3 months) to gain the weight, I’d do 1.1 - 1.2 of my current weight and gain weight slowly. Bumping my protein up as my body weight goes up. If I didn’t have a lot of time (say a month), I’d do 1.1 - 1.2 of my target weight. I’d gain pretty quickly, and it would taper off.
I asked about fatloss and protein

I asked about fatloss and protein
Sorry. I missed the parenthesis part of your question.

For losing weight, I use 1g per pound of target body weight. I generally only use 1.1 - 1.2 when gaining. I might bump it temporarily for a few days if I think my recovery is suffering.

I find that a healthy combination of animal protein + healthy fats in the form of olive oil / olives / nuts / every now and then avocado and coconut and an ok amount of fruit (1-2 small ish servings a day, not all day), water and a selection of non-stomach-upsetting vegetables (which for me pretty much boils down to carrots, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, spinach) keeps me full, makes me recover really well and is enough to build lots of muscle.

As an example, this is how I've been going for the past 4-5 months:

- breakfast (which I don't like skipping): 4 eggs (mostly boiled) + a big dollop of skyr + blueberries
- lunch: 3-4 chicken thighs, bunch of olives
- dinner: either a meat/poultry/fish heavy portion of whatever my partner fancies + whatever her leftovers are; we had leftover beef last night, I had the meat with kimchi and another egg, she had it with leftover potatoes
- after dinner: usually a small portion of skyr / a scoop of casein / might nibble on more blueberries

That is an average of what I eat, some days I'm hungrier so I'll add some more proteins and fats. Sometimes during the weekend I might have a much lighter combo of breakfast and lunch and we'll just have something different, like a risotto. I'm partial to a ham and egg sandwich so sometimes it'll happen. I did beef/butter/egg for a while and that also worked well for recovery, not so well for fat storage and feeling of fullness.

I found out, through macro counting, the volume of protein and food in general I can tolerate and it's now almost on autopilot (I rarely use scales anymore). I rarely supplement with protein powders anymore, a little bit for taste really.
I wake up at 5am and train fasted because I feel snappier and stronger, but there's really no magic to the above.

I seem to have some digestive system problems. Been staying 70kg for about 6 years, no matter how or what I eat, the bodyweight stays the same. Even when I got leaner or more muscular, that number never changed.
Before assuming digestive system problems I would suggest tracking your bodyweight and your calories each day for a week or - preferably - two. Then, manipulate calories to fit the goal. Very often folks will under or over eat for a meal, a day, or even a few days, and then will "counterbalance" that subconsciously and sabotage whatever results they were looking for. Very rarely is there actually a disease state - they exist, but its usually not the reason.

1.) High Protein (1-1.5 grams per pound of body-weight)

2.) Low Carb (<100 grams)

3.) Moderate Fats (50-80 grams/day)

PROTEIN: Meat (mostly beef), eggs, whey protein, some cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.

VEGGIES/FRUITS: Any and all, but not much fruit (1-2 servings/day or less)

HEALTHY FATS: From eggs, coconut oil, avocados, raw nuts

Mostly a Paleo or Primal Blueprint approach (NOT Keto!).

3-4 meals/snacks each day.

Higher carbs once a week or every other week from potatoes (sometimes oats and quinoa, very rarely rice).

Dark chocolate (70-85%) in small amounts as needed for my sweet tooth.

I stayed shredded (6-8% body fat) for 10 years (ages 36-45) eating like this.
This is virtually identical to what I do. It works like a charm (for me, at least)!

What's your lifting look like?

-S-

Just eating has worked the best for me. I don't count protein or calories. I just eat food.

Normal day of eating for me:
Breakfast- 1 Dr. Pepper and a cigarette
Lunch- 2 pickled eggs, crackers and cheese, Dr. Pepper and cigarette
Dinner- what ever the wife fixes and the last smoke of the day.

Smoking really helps keep the excess fat off.

Just eating has worked the best for me. I don't count protein or calories. I just eat food.

Normal day of eating for me:
Breakfast- 1 Dr. Pepper and a cigarette
Lunch- 2 pickled eggs, crackers and cheese, Dr. Pepper and cigarette
Dinner- what ever the wife fixes and the last smoke of the day.

Smoking really helps keep the excess fat off.

I mean...

I'll sometimes skip carbs to have a 2nd cocktail.

Currently I eat a Ray Peat inspired diet - high carb with an emphasis on simple sugars, low fat with emphasis on saturated fats, adequate protein, a lot of calcium, no flour. In practice this means living on fruit juices, dried fruit, low-fat dairy, canned tuna/sardines, honey, white rice, potatoes, gelatin, and occasional liver, other organ meat or eggs. I have never counted calories or stuck to any meal schedule, I just eat to satisfaction whenever I'm hungry. I no longer look fat and probably won't be fat anymore before the current year passes, a lot of other chronic health problems are also slowly going away. I have done keto and IF in the past, and while I did lose some weight on these too (although eventually a plateau hit, prompting me to look for other dietary approaches) I've never felt as well and my training results were clearly inferior.

Last edited:
I posted earlier about the different diets I have tried and they all worked. I would like to say my current way of eating is really working. I've lost 13kg since May and gained strength across all my lifts. It is really simple and mostly inspired by the FitFather Diet I did before.

The way I have been eating since May is sort of Dan John inspired. I intermittent fast till noon each day. Meal 1 - usually a sandwich with lots of meat and a couple of apples Meal 2- usually overnight Oats with some fruit and protein powder Meal 3 - half a plate of protein other half is carbs and veggies. Snack - I have a bit of dark chocolate after dinner as a dessert.

I have no idea of how many calories this is. If I snack I try and eat apples. I also have a cappuccino maker so I have a couple of them each day too.

I have been thinking of using Hardboiled eggs as a middle of the day snack as I seem to be a bit hungry after work these days.

I plan on eating like this relatively long term. When I was off work I'd have an omlette instead of a sandwich and the extra protein seemed to stimulate more weight loss.

Understood, and I'm guessing they're top shelf and excellent, but pop and ciggs. damn, another level.

Genever Wet Martini

3 oz of Bols Dutch Genever gin, taken from the freezer

1 oz of Dolin Dry Vermouth de Chamberry, taken the refrigerator

1 pre-chilled rocks class
1 extra large ice cube (spherical better, but cube will work)
1 lemon twist

Prepare the glass by expressing the lemon wedge oil into the rocks glass and wipe along the edge, then put in the giant ice cube and rattle around a little to mix things up. Save the twist.

Put all the booze into a mixing glass (shaker, mixing glass, pint glass), get something thin to mix it with (back of bar spoon, I use a steel chopstick), fill with ice, stir for about 20 seconds, just to combine the ingredients. We don't need to chill things much as the gin was frozen and the vermouth was refrigerated. And we don't want to dilute the genever.

Put on strainer, pour into rocks glass with giant ice cube. Garnish with lemon twist.

It's a super boozy sipping drink, so you need the ice cube to keep it chill while you take your time.

2 of these in an hour and you'd be quite situated for not doing much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom