all posts post new thread

Barbell Weight it Out - Steel Olympic Plates

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member

Has anyone used these plates before? They are a bit pricier than machined iron, but not by much (about $50 more than the only in-stock machined iron plates I could find when comparing for 355 pounds) and being steel they are much thinner. I don't know that it would matter for me as I doubt I would ever load a bar fully, but they are also guaranteed to be within 2 ounces of stated weight vs the normal 2-3% of machined iron which would be about a pound on the 45lb plate.

My main question would be how easy/hard are they to pick up without a lip to grab onto? Do the holes work well enough that it's a non-issue? Are the edges sharp?

It seems like as good a deal as I can find during this COVID shutdown as I have been trying to get plates for like 9 months now, but I still have some time until I am done reaching Timeless Simple and want to switch to PTTP. I don't want to rush into anything as it's a big investment, but I'd also rather pay extra for good quality that will last a lifetime and never have me wishing I bought something more accurate and/or refined.

I don't want to rush into anything as it's a big investment, but I'd also rather pay extra for good quality that will last a lifetime and never have me wishing I bought something more accurate and/or refined.
I've seen something of an explosion of kit like this appearing on eBay and the like. It's better than nothing, sure, but totally flat steel disc plates like that are a nightmare to handle (very hard to pick up off a flat floor) and will probably take a lot of hand-finishing to ensure that they don't scratch your barbell sleeves like crazy when you're taking them off and putting them on (not an issue if you're not precious about things like that).

Once quality equipment is easier to come by, the second hand market's going to be flooded with these kinds of plates and you'll probably have a hard time getting rid of them (unless it's to a scrap merchant). I'd wait it out (heh) until you can get something professionally-manufactured.

Keep an eye out for used stuff as well. It's rare but it does crop up from time to time and less people are asking for ridiculous money now.

Has anyone used these plates before? They are a bit pricier than machined iron, but not by much (about $50 more than the only in-stock machined iron plates I could find when comparing for 355 pounds) and being steel they are much thinner. I don't know that it would matter for me as I doubt I would ever load a bar fully, but they are also guaranteed to be within 2 ounces of stated weight vs the normal 2-3% of machined iron which would be about a pound on the 45lb plate.

My main question would be how easy/hard are they to pick up without a lip to grab onto? Do the holes work well enough that it's a non-issue? Are the edges sharp?

It seems like as good a deal as I can find during this COVID shutdown as I have been trying to get plates for like 9 months now, but I still have some time until I am done reaching Timeless Simple and want to switch to PTTP. I don't want to rush into anything as it's a big investment, but I'd also rather pay extra for good quality that will last a lifetime and never have me wishing I bought something more accurate and/or refined.
I’ve always entertained making some weights out of cement. Concrete Weights

As it says though, clearly not a permanent solution. Pretty cheap though!

I’ve always entertained making some weights out of cement. Concrete Weights

As it says though, clearly not a permanent solution. Pretty cheap though!
I think I'll be doing that, at least as a temporary solution because the whole weight plate shortage is insane and prices have gotten to ridiculous levels. I'm sure if I can hold out for a year or two, I can pick up plenty of weights used for $.50 a pound like pre-covid.

I think I'll be doing that, at least as a temporary solution because the whole weight plate shortage is insane and prices have gotten to ridiculous levels. I'm sure if I can hold out for a year or two, I can pick up plenty of weights used for $.50 a pound like pre-covid.
Yep. For sure. Or, and I’ve thought about this, focusing on the crazy body weight stuff one arm this one arm that. Ya know?
But I feel you. When you get the barbell bug you want a barbell.
I paired all my belongings down a few years ago. And ended up just rebuying KBs. I’d love to have a barbell setup though at some point.

Not that anybody was waiting to hear, but I thought I would update just in case anyone else was looking. I ended up finding some Chinese made iron weights locally, about 2/3 the price of these, and less than 2% off on all weights. Some were only 1-2 ounces off, and some were up to 1.5% off, but they are definitely close enough for my purposes.

I would have preferred US made, and regardless of cost I would have bought them if comparable, but I really didn’t want flat plates that are impossible to pick up. I took a chance as there was no guarantee on weight, but the fact they were all quite close in weight was a great surprise.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom