all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Weighted Pull Up Progression...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

About weighted pull ups (aiming to OA pull up), I have a certainly stupid question concerning programming.

Is it "better" - meaning more efficient - to train almost every day (5 - 7 days a week on a GTG basis) or doing only 2 - 3 sessions a week ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

There is no better - many people like frequent training for pullups, but it's still weight lifting, so the more frequent, the further from 1RM while still being moderately heavy, the more neural benefits you will acquire. Less frequent, harder efforts tend to lead to more muscle gains.

-S-

Hello,

Did someone here test the "clusters" to increase max strength ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

A "cluster" consists in doing 1 rep close to our 1RM (80 - 85%). Then, having a short rest (15s), and doing another rep. As this methods aims at building strength, we don't do more than 7 - 8 reps. As you see, and if I understood well the explanation, we can add some training volume, thanks to the rests, then we gain strength.

I heard about this method today and didn't know it before.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Guys - I am a bit late to this thread but if I may add another approach.
Weighted pulls IMO will for sure help in the One Arm Chin, but what about also adding in some volume doing switch grip and slowly unloading one side more and more. These can be done in a GTG fashion while still working your weighted sets. You might also benefit for doing GTG with single arm (straight arm hangs) and single arm (flexed arm hangs) - These would build time under tension which would be important for the one arm chin.

BUT PLEASE remember to listen to your ELBOWS....they will tell you when you are adding too much volume.

And on a diff note: You can wave the load in your weighted training by doing 3x5, 5x3, or ladders (I really like drop set ladders) example below.

20kg x 1, 16kg x 2, 12kg x 3- rest between rungs as needed and then long rest between sets (repeat x 2-3 sets) As these become easy, you can do 1,3,5 for your reps or 2, 4, 6, BUT I would highly recommend some switch grip and only using the over hand grip side for minimal assistance.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it out. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom