all posts post new thread

Old Forum weighted pull up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm taking a break from S&S due to a dodgy knee. I posted previously about my form in a goblet squat - I had a tweaky knee before S&S and it hasn't resolved - and my poor form and pain in my knee is explained by an overworked sartorious. So resting from all knee related activities. And resting generally for a few more days. I'm doing corrective get ups and really zoning in on my form up to a hip bridge and some crawling in the absence of pain. For some strength I'd thought to work some pull ups. I do them on rings with false grip to lead upto a muscle up. I haven't practiced them at all recently. I'd thought to try some weighted pull ups - is there a pre-requisite for these, ie a number of unweighted pull ups before adding weight? And also when adding weight I was going to stuff a kb in a rucksack but rather than wearing it on my back figured wearing it on the front would be better. Don't have a belt or plates, you see. Any suggestions or recommendations please? Thank you again for all inputs.

Prereq--not necessarily. Some people say 20, some say 5. Personally I think that 15-20 is a great mark for a guy who's on the lighter side (to hit before adding weight).

Weight placement--in front is better if you're wearing a sack. Putting it on your back pulls you out of the hollow position.

"about" 10 is my usual guideline, but some people can progress to weighted pullups once they can do 5 unweighted, and do quite well. I've always just hung the bell from my foot; there are several advantages to this. Otherwise, buy a belt or make one.

Make sure to take care of the knee, not just train around it.

10 is a pretty solid starting point. Otherwise you're adding minuscule amounts of weight for 3-5 rep sets.

Belts are super easy to make. Buy some chain, plumbing insulation foam, tape and a carabiner. All set. Not the prettiest solution, but it works.

Start working the false grip without weights. The false grip is weird and it takes the wrists a while to adjust. I would recommend working false grip unweighted pull ups and regular grip weighted.

thanks guys. Always been guilty of being stupid and training with an unresolved injury. Here I was thinking I'd become old and wise and recognise the signs to back off when I was just being the same old me. Young at heart, I guess! Determined to sort it out though even if it takes a couple of months. cheers again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom