all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weightlifting shoes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I barbell squat in Olympic weightlifting shoes, along with the Olympic lifts and there accessory lifts. To warm up for barbell practice I do some prying goblet squats, TGU, swings, and bottoms up presses.

I do my kettlebell practice barefoot, but with weightlifting shoes I can squat, hinge, and press better. The heel increases stability and makes up for a lack of ankle mobility.

Are weightlifting shoes permitted at a Strongfirst certification? Are weightlifting shoes a crutch I rely on and should ditch them? Does anyone else have experience with weightlifting shoes?

My squat feels stronger when I wear mine, but other than that, I actually prefer barefoot. I tried to do some long cycle in them, but preferred barefoot.

@Geoff Chafe, this is an often-discussed issue. Think of it like wearing a belt if you're a raw deadlifter - you'll lift more weight with the belt/shoes. And lifting more weight is stronger - tough to argue with that. OTOH, you'll develop different qualities, and arguably a more resilient-to-the-demands-of-life body, if you go without.

Either way is a valid choice. Don't think "crutch," think "tool" - not the perfect analogy, I realize.

NB: I haven't mentioned what I do because I don't think it's relevant to your choice.

-S-

There's a lot of things people invented to make themselves more strong and efficient. Things like shoes and kettlebells.

Shoes of any sort eliminate foot proprioception. Maybe practice without, but when you squat or press heavy, put them on.

I always aim for bare feet, if not Vibram Five Fingers is the only option for me (which is either running or at a gym)

I wear weightlifting shoes for Kettlebell sport. I prefer them for swings and presses as well. I can't speak for StrongFirst certification, but the proper shoes are a great tool for the job.

I trained and competed in olympic lifting for roughly three years before switching to S&S because of lack of time/etc. I do my kb stuff barefoot, but would always train with oly shoes when I was weightlifting. When people would ask that question my coach would say "they designed shoes specifically for olympic lifting it makes sense to wear them." you said that you did your warm up without shoes which is great but when your ready to start lifting you should put on your oly shoes. this summer in Rio you won't see a single competitor wearing vibrams.

I am a weightlifter, it has been part of my life for over 15 years. I competed for about 10 years, never reallly accomplished much in the sport.

Genetics were never on my side. I had to work my a#@ off for every pound on the bar. I worked twice as hard as some for half the gains, but never gave up.

I met and trained with some awesome coaches and athletes, and made life long friends. It made me mentally and physically resilient.

I am experimenting without weightlifting shoes, In the pursuit of real world strength and ROM. When you need your strength in your daily life or to defend yourself you most likely won't be wearing heels.

Also, in general, "everybody else does it" is not a great reason; just ask your Mom!

And those spoogy soft "cross trainers" that so many buy/wear were specifically designed...for something and they may cause more problems than they solve.

Geoff Chafe said:
"When you need your strength in your daily life or to defend yourself you most likely won't be wearing heels."

You won't have a kettlebell with you, either.

You'll likely be wearing shoes, though.

Geoff Chafe said:
"When you need your strength in your daily life or to defend yourself you most likely won't be wearing heels."

You won't have a kettlebell with you, either.

You'll likely be wearing shoes, though.

I won't have a KB, but I will have a strong grip and powerful hips.

For what it's worth, I wear weightlifting shoes for all versions of squatting with the bar, as well as cleans and snatches, but I typically deadlift barefoot. I never wear shoes when I train KBs. It's how I was taught, and 35 years of martial arts has helped me be comfortable without shoes.

Hey,

I clearly feel better and comfortable without shoes. Nevertheless, the only advantage I know in wearing shoes in such a condition is to avoid slipping if there is sweat under your feet.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
The heel lift is why people use the shoe. You won't find any competing Olympic lifter without a purpose-built shoe.

-S-

Weightlifting shoes are just another tool for the tool bag. That said, my impression is that more than a few would be better served by allocating shoe money to instructor fees in an effort to cultivate better movement.

Hey,

@Steve Freides
About the heel lift: isn't more an ankle flexibility issue ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

EDIT: I am not a true weightlifter so maybe I am wrong. For example, when I do goblet squats or deadlifts (with relatively light weight, I admit it), my feet are flat.

Goblet squats and deadlifts should be done barefoot or with flat, minimalist shoes - you are correct in your practice.

You have to look at what successful lifters do: raw deadlifters almost all wear a belt in competition but do a sizable portion of their training without; Olympic lifters wear sport-specific shoes in all their training as well as competition. Oly lifting is not my thing but I think we can safely say it's about more than just ankle flexibility.

-S-

Hey,

You're right: if they do it, there is a good reason.

I did a very quick search on Google. It appears that weightlifting shoes have two goals:

=> global body stability,
=> better energy restitution during the lift phase (thanks to the the heel angle and the sole hardness).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom