all posts post new thread

Barbell What Are The Health Benefits of the Zercher Squat?

Denys Carthusian

Level 6 Valued Member
Specifically, has anyone found a specific benefit to core functionality that couldn't be replicated with other exercises?

I'm thinking of things like resolving asymmetries, overcoming a tight quadratus, fixing a wonky piriformis, etc.

Specifically, has anyone found a specific benefit to core functionality that couldn't be replicated with other exercises?

I'm thinking of things like resolving asymmetries, overcoming a tight quadratus, fixing a wonky piriformis, etc.

-S-

-S-
I never really see powerlifters who focus on carryover use zerchers. But admittedly my sample size is pretty small compared to someone who has been doing it for decades.

Do you use them leading up to your meets or know anyone that uses it in that manner?

I never really see powerlifters who focus on carryover use zerchers. But admittedly my sample size is pretty small compared to someone who has been doing it for decades.

Do you use them leading up to your meets or know anyone that uses it in that manner?

Louie Simmons has found some use and he was pretty good, so to say, both in lifting and in coaching:

"My all time favorite and I feel a major part of our success is the Zercher squat. These are done off the floor or in a rack with a wide or close stance. This exercise will build every muscle in the body."

Shoot, well now I'm looking at Zerchers again. I was kind of hoping he was going to say front squats, since I am almost decent at those. I hated Zerchers every time I did them. But Pavel's got my number:

Fine, comrade. I'll give them another go. We need a crying emoji. ;)
They are tough on the elbows but if you have access to one, try them using a 2" thick Axle bar instead of a regular only bar. They are much more comfortable.

diaphragm-pelvis apposition seems to be the main benefit. And it's almost impossible to not brace correctly.
If you want to fix assymetries or issues it's more likely that you need to 1. go unilateral with resistance training 2. work on your gait/running pattern (which is a very regressed version of unilateral ballistic training if you think about it).

As a side-note - I find zercher squats to be more on the deadlift than on the squat side of spectrum. I would say they are to the squat universe what snatchgrip deadlift is for the deadlift universe ;). I'm yet to try slantboard zerchers.

@silveraw, you’ve asked an interesting question and made interesting observations. I have done them in the interest of being able to do them. I don’t train them regularly and haven’t ever, really.

TL;DR

But I don’t know how typical my powerlifting training is. I still feel like I have a lot to gain just from doing the main lifts and getting better at them, and my time is limited, so, in that way, I consider my approach minimalist. For example, the dead lift is my best lift, and lately I’ve been doing it for a handful of reps once a week, just because that’s how much time I have to devote to it. I have never been busier in my life so my training is focused more on what I'm not good at as I plan for a 3-lift meet at the end of October.

My preferred "Zercher" is the Z deadlift, not the Z squat. I found these videos of me doing each of these lifts from a few years back:

and here I am doing the Z squat:

That's a pretty good endorsement of the lift for a powerlifter!

So, no, I don't use them at all these days because I'm at a place in the big picture of my lifting where I feel like fine-tuning my form on the 3 big lifts is what's going to yield the most benefit for me. 20 years into powerlifting, I'm still very much _not_ an advanced lifter in this way. My squat has a long way to go to catch up to my deadlift, so while I'm not doing Zerchers, I'm having a good time this off-cycle doing front squats until they get heavy, then high bar back squats until those get heavy, and then low bar back squats to finish my weekly big squat day. While front squats and high bar back squats could be considered assistance exercises, they're still pretty close to the main thing. My bench has always been pretty weak, and my shoulders have a variety of maladies including arthritis and at least one torn labrum, so mostly I work on that just by bench pressing.

Zercher squats, although more likely Zercher deadlifts, will be in my training again for sure, just not sure when. My pattern has been to compete at powerlifting only for part of each 5-year age bracket, but I seem to be doing a lot of competing as I move towards the end of my sixties because I keep being able to post better numbers each time, so it may be another few years until I post some numbers, G-d willing and the creeks don't rise, in the 70-74 age bracket in PL first and then move into a different strength focus after that.

Life is good to be able to think about these things in this way!

-S-

Shoot, well now I'm looking at Zerchers again. I was kind of hoping he was going to say front squats, since I am almost decent at those. I hated Zerchers every time I did them. But Pavel's got my number:

Fine, comrade. I'll give them another go. We need a crying emoji. ;)

The zerchers shouldn't be that hard on the elbows. Just have a bit of meat on the forearm and bicep and then flex as hard as you can before you unrack or start the lift.

Some find the bigger bar more comfortable like @Washed up Meathead. , or use elbow sleeves or such. But I prefer the bar by itself. I like the bar to stay absolutely still and close to my body as possible. And the bruises aren't that bad. Maybe it gets worse with more load.

Personally, I think the zercher squat is the premier choice for functionality in the squat pattern, and it's great for sports like wrestling.

I’ve used every squat variation under the sun at some point, for reasons I will not get into, but since this post caught stimulated my avatar’s defense mechanisms, I will list several benefits I found for myself from Zercher squats.

1) A great squat option if you own a barbell but no rack.

2) Demands less shoulder mobility than back squats, less wrist mobility than front squats.

3) Bracing feels more natural to me on zerchers because of bar’s position.

4) It was the squat variation that had the highest carryover to BOTH my squat and deadlift strength.

Are there any benefits to the zercher squat over the double kettlebell squat? I always thought they were similar but haven't done zercher.

I can't help but think it would be a good stabilisation or armour building exercise for any contact sport requiring you to tackle or wrestle with your foe.

I would not expect any barbell squat variation, or really any other squat variation, to do any of these things.

Yep.

More squatting is not what works for me, either, when I starting having hip issues.

It usually happens when I've neglected my mobility and core work. And resuming it mitigates it within a few days.

The best thing I’ve found for a tight quadratus is to wake up and strengthen lazy hip muscles.

It's difficult but as you age you need to realise what works for you regarding your issues. For years I concentrated on hip mobility but have realised my tight hamstrings are what's holding me back not not my hip flexors.

Back
Top Bottom