all posts post new thread

Old Forum What do you think about this article?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Spezzano

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hi gang,

During some recent research I came across this article on Breaking Muscle about rep ranges at various weights.

I agree with the author that different people will have obviously different training needs. However, outside of a CrossFit or a Gym Jones WOD-style workout, where the weight is intentionally light (50-60%) I've never worked barbell lifts in sets of more than 5. Lots of sets of 5 in Wendler's 5/3/1 program but most often triples at 80% or doubles at 90%. I've never come close to the double digit rep schemes he describes.

I'm not trying to bash the author, I have read other articles he's written and enjoyed them, but I'm just confused. What are your thoughts on this article?

jvs

The most important statement made in the article is very close to the top: "good for you - if this plan is working. If it isn't..."

So, is your current plan working?

Con: he does not define strength. I would like to know how I am "supposed" to benefit from a program, as I am about to invest a lot of time and energy.

On the other hand, every program provides you a chance to learn more about how your body responds to stimuli, as he discussed... we are all different, to some extent.

So, have you tried the program? If not, give it a go. You might respond positively to it, especially if you are overreached in your current program. <<< a clue as to how I feel about it.

Everything works... for a limited time. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Thanks Al. This has just been part of some research I've been doing, I wasn't looking to try it. I attended PlanStrong last year and work my programming around that framework. It still makes my head hurt but it's starting to come together.

;-D
jvs

I’m not trying to bash the author, I have read other articles he’s written and enjoyed them, but I’m just confused. What are your thoughts on this article?

What do YOU think of it?

Like I said in my initial post, outside of WOD-style training, I never come close to the rep schemes he describes. Which is why I wanted to get some other input.

jvs

Like I said in my initial post, outside of WOD-style training, I never come close to the rep schemes he describes. Which is why I wanted to get some other input.

So has it been good? Have you followed a program with those rep ranges? Did you reach your goal?

Ive done plenty of those workouts but Im not sure what youre asking for.

The rep ranges are not his main point. The given reps are just an example. You could do the same with lower reps e.g. lift something for 2 reps and next time try 3 until you reach 5, than up the weight and start over at 2.
He thinks the percentage based system is flawed and just says that you should use reps instead of a certain percentage.
So instead of 5reps@85% etc. just use a weight that you can lift 5 times and try to lift it 5/6/7/8 times and then increase it. You will make progress that way.
Want more strength? Stay between 1-6 reps. More Hypertrophy? 8-15 reps and so on.

Will it work? I'd say yes for a novice, yes to a certain point for an intermediate, an advanced level lifter could probably benefit from it for a short time (2-4 weeks).

Edit: He also says that different people need different rep ranges. I think that's kind of true, but that's somethin you need to find out for yourself.

Thanks all.

It's not a program I'm following, Chief. I was just doing some reading and wanted to get an idea of where he was coming from because it's very different from what I've done and been taught.

jvs

If we are not "progressing" then why are we showing up everyday? I think the author hits a very small nail right on the sweet spot personally. I've seen it so many times that I'm really surprised that the first time I've read something like this is some 40 years later. It happens all the time, "this workout will increase your bench 20 lb. in 8 weeks". "This is the program Ohio St. University uses"! Example; it's 5x5 at 85% of your max. For our lifter that's 225 for 5x5 but he can't do 225 for 5x5 so he does 215 for 5x5. After a period of time he is doing 220 for 5x5. Did he follow the program as written? No, not really. He did progress though and that should be key. Then our lifter has an interesting idea, why use the same weight for all sets or why always work up in weight. Using the example above, 5x5 at 225 is the mark set out for the lifter. Why not do a light set of 10 as a warm up then a moderate set of 5 at 205 and then go right to 220 or 225 for a set of 5 which is an overload because he can only do that for 1 set of 5 but not 5 sets of 5. Then he does 215 or 220 for a set of 5. Then maybe 205 for 2 sets of 5. That's his 5x5 and one set was 5% heavier as compared to his first one or two set at 215 under the original program. But why does it HAVE to be 5x5? What if he warmed up, did 205 for 5, 225 for 5 and then 220 for 5 and that's it? Then our lifter reads an article by some Russian cat that says take more time between sets. Our lifter has only been taking 2 minutes between sets and now ups it to 5 minutes and finds he can push more weight. He makes progress but after another change (time between sets) is made. There are so many variables that it becomes mind boggling. But if our lifter went from a 265 max to a 270 max progress was made and that is a good thing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom