all posts post new thread

Old Forum What to do while away from gym or gear?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chazak

Level 1 Valued Member
I will be going on an educational and touring trip for about a month.  I will not have access to kettlebells nor will i be able to carry mine with me.

I figured I can either try to work on Naked Warrior body weight exercises, and then just return to kettlebells when i get back.

However, I was wondering, are their any alternatives to kettlebells I can use while on my trip?  I was pondering, for example, if lightweight snap and go deadlifts might be a good temporary replacement for kettlebell swings.  Perhaps dumbell getups might be ok for a couple of weeks.

Feedback is much appreciated.

If you know how to deadlift, and if you'll have access to a barbell and weights, a few weeks of deadlifting could be a nice change of pace.

Likewise, you could make a focus out of one-arm, one-leg dumbbell deadlifts.

Bodyweight exercise is always good.  I love bw-only pistols while on the road.

Grippers are small and travel well.

I agree with your general thinking - a month is a long time, best to focus on something else and then return to S&S when you get back.

-S-

Pullups;find some steps and crawl backwards up the stairs;go outside--any playgrounds,logs,rocks?You get the idea

Great advice so far.  Whatever work you can squeeze in on the trip will be worth it.  The world can totally be your gym.

But I'll also say, you're going on a month long educational trip, just enjoy yourself.  These kinds of things don't come up all that often in life.  Train hard leading up to the trip, then whatever pushups/pullups/squats/etc. you get in while traveling is bonus.  Take whatever comes while on the trip, and then get back to training when you return.  You might lose a little something strength-wise, but in terms of 'doing life,' you'll come out way ahead.

Definitely 10 min of Leopard crawls followed by 10 min of low hip crab crawls.

I just go forward and backward down a hall.

Check out Geoff Neupert and Tim Andersons YouTube videos for details...

Great ideas everyone, thanks!

It seems to me that Pavel has mentioned that the two most important things to improve are grip and abs.  I'll try to work on pull ups and start one arm push up progressions.  Seems like a good plan :) hope I can find pull up bars.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom