all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What to eat in this situation?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
So, golf season is on (lots of walking) and I don’t want to lose weight. In fact, I would like to gain few pounds if anything.

Especially during summer I sometimes find it hard to eat enough. I don’t want to start counting calories or anything, but I do have always somewhat rought estimate on how much protein and calories I have taken in during the day. And often it’s not enough.

Lot of times I grab a pizza or something after golf round just because I need the calories and that might not be the healthiest choice…
So I’m looking for tips what to eat when finding it hard to eat enough, while still eating somewhat healty. Nuts maybe… ?

So, golf season is on (lots of walking) and I don’t want to lose weight. In fact, I would like to gain few pounds if anything.

Especially during summer I sometimes find it hard to eat enough. I don’t want to start counting calories or anything, but I do have always somewhat rought estimate on how much protein and calories I have taken in during the day. And often it’s not enough.

Lot of times I grab a pizza or something after golf round just because I need the calories and that might not be the healthiest choice…
So I’m looking for tips what to eat when finding it hard to eat enough, while still eating somewhat healty. Nuts maybe… ?
Nuts and dried fruit are great, so is jerky. It’s hard to go wrong with PB&Js. Honestly if you’re trying to gain a little weight you probably aren’t too concerned if a couple meals a week is pizza from a health perspective, especially if you are not terribly fat (BF is under 20%) and all your blood work is “good” and you don’t have blood pressure issues (eg pre hypertension).

Calories In, Calories Out

As you realize, the primary rule for gaining weight it to consume a surplus of calorie; consume more calories than you burn.

Counting Calories

Having a "Rough estimate" means you are guessing, which is never good.

That amount to writing checks on your bank account based on guessing how much money you have in the account.

To reiterate, the key to gaining weight it to increase you calorie intake.

Research by Dr. John Ivy determined that increasing calorie intake by approximately 20% ensures that an increase muscle mass is maximized and and body fat gain is minimized with a well written exercise program.

The American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM

Their guideline for gaining weight is to increase calorie consumption by 500 additional calories a day.

The ACSM does only specifies what those 500 additional calories is are. It does not provide any Macro Percentages that need to be followed.

Ironically, that amounts to Dr. John Ivy's finding for most individual increasing calorie intake 20% above Maintenance Level; where body weight remains the same.

With that in mind, you first need to determine what you Maintenance Calorie Intake is with a...

Three Day Recall

1) Count you calories for three says.

One of the days needs to be a weekend day where you life style and eating habit usually are different.

2) Add the three days of calories up.

3) Divide by the three days into the Total Three Day Recall. This will provide you with a clearer picture of your Calorie Maintenance.

4) Then multiply you Maintenance Calories by 120% to determine what you Surplus Calorie Intake need be.

Pizza and Nuts

Based on the ACSM, pizza and nuts will work.

My 17 lbs. Weight Gain

As I have posted many time, I have been on the Ketogenic Diet since 2016 due to a Metabolic Condition.

Initially, I lost 17 lbs. when I combined it with Intermittent Fasting.

It was a learning experience. My objective wasn't to lose weight. I decided to gain the weight back.

Since the Ketogenic Diet limits Protein to less than 25% of Total Calorie Intake and Restrict Carbohydrates to 50 gram per day or less, the only way to Increase Calorie Intake was with Fat.

Bill "Peanuts" West, Weight Gaining Program

West was one of the best Powerlifter in his day. To gain weight, West drank Peanut Oil.

As you know, Fat is Calorie Dense.

I emulated West Method by increasing my Fat Intake to around 200 gram or more per day (1800 calorie from Fat), along with putting butter on everything and consuming High Fat foods with virtually not Carbohydrates, like cheese and nuts.

Between meals, I would drink two ounces of Fat 28 gram/252 Calories (9 calories per gram x 28 grams).

Three servings of two ounces of Fat three times a day = 756 additional Calories Per Day.

By doing so, I Regained 17 lbs. while remaining on The Ketogenic Diet for my Metabolic Condition.

The Take Home Message

1) Determine you Maintenance Calories.

2) Increase you Surplus Calorie Intake to 120% of your Maintenance Calories, which will probably be by consuming 500 additional Calories a Day (ACSM's Recommendation).

3) Consuming High Fat Foods like Cheese Sticks, Nuts, Pizza, Fatty Meats, Eggs, Whole Milk, Avocados, Olives, etc.

Seasoning your foods with Olive or Avocado Oil, Butter, etc.

Last edited:

The numbers I have seen is a round of golf will burn around 1500 calories. It won't be simple to add 1500 "healthy" calories in a day.
Met-Rx has some protein bars that have about 30 grams of protein and around 400 calories. Maybe bring one of those to eat during your round. Depending on how early you tee off it might be tough to get a substantial amount of calories at breakfast. I know I don't want a really large breakfast if I have an early tee time.
A full fat greek Yogurt with nuts and honey mixed in might be a good breakfast choice.

So I’m looking for tips what to eat when finding it hard to eat enough, while still eating somewhat healty.

Honestly, if your base diet is fairly solid for micros and protein, and you just need more cals, eat anything. Fruit and cream, PB&honey, any blender drink etc etc

I make some premium ice cream for keeping cals up:
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- .5 cup cocoa powder
- 5 30gr scoops unflavored isolated whey protein
- 1 shot scotch or whisky (softens the ice cream, optional)

Toss in ice cream maker, makes about 5-6 servings. Have a dish any time day or night.

The numbers I have seen is a round of golf will burn around 1500 calories.
Vague Information

The number of calories burned is dependent on...

1) Carrying Your Bag

How many individuals do that?

2) Push Cart

Having your clubs on a Push Cart.

3) Golf Cart

Riding from hole to hole in a Golf Cart.

Vague Information

1) Carrying Your Bag

2) Push Cart

3) Golf Cart

From a little research, and @Nacho this may be helpful for you,

Carrying clubs and walking is ~600 per hour
Push cart clubs and walking is ~500 per hour
Riding a golf cart is ~350 per hour

What I would observe though is that this would include your "normal metabolic rate" not be in addition to your normal metabolic rate. So, if you say burn 2400 calories per day with minimal activity, that's ~100 calories per hour, so when "eating back" what you burned, you could probably easily subtract 100 calories from those numbers to calculate what you actually need to eat when golfing.

Nacho, the most accurate way would be to weigh yourself and keep a rolling average over a two week period. If you see you are losing weight, you can determine how much extra you need to eat. If you are maintaining, you know you are "OK." This gives you a value for YOU and your particular golf game/style/etc.

Vague Information

1) Carrying Your Bag

2) Push Cart

3) Golf Cart

I always carry. Quite common in the UK and a requirement when the courses are wet.

From a little research, and @Nacho this may be helpful for you,

Carrying clubs and walking is ~600 per hour
Push cart clubs and walking is ~500 per hour
Riding a golf cart is ~350 per hour

What I would observe though is that this would include your "normal metabolic rate" not be in addition to your normal metabolic rate. So, if you say burn 2400 calories per day with minimal activity, that's ~100 calories per hour, so when "eating back" what you burned, you could probably easily subtract 100 calories from those numbers to calculate what you actually need to eat when golfing.

Nacho, the most accurate way would be to weigh yourself and keep a rolling average over a two week period. If you see you are losing weight, you can determine how much extra you need to eat. If you are maintaining, you know you are "OK." This gives you a value for YOU and your particular golf game/style/etc.

I think 3 putting burns at least 50 calories

Great tips and new ideas!

I was overweight as teen and bit of a skinny fat as well as an adult until I started training around when I turned thirty (38y now), so because of my background, I have really avoided certain foods that might actually be a good fit for my current weight and way more active lifestyle.

I think I will just weigh my self every morning and see how where it goes.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions so far. I really appreciate all your answers!

If you are tracking protein and getting sufficient amounts of that macronutrient than I would start adding in some extra complex carbs and fats. Things like nuts (pistachios, cashews, almonds), seeds (pumpkin seeds, chia seed pudding, hemp seeds on your food), potatoes (sweet potato, purple sweet potato, Japanese sweet potato), rice, avocados, and tahini based sauces (can make these at home too). There are a great many other things you can add based on your preferences. These are just some of my favorite calorie dense but still healthy foods.

Nuts and dried fruit are great, so is jerky. It’s hard to go wrong with PB&Js. Honestly if you’re trying to gain a little weight you probably aren’t too concerned if a couple meals a week is pizza from a health perspective, especially if you are not terribly fat (BF is under 20%) and all your blood work is “good” and you don’t have blood pressure issues (eg pre hypertension).
Pizza is not that bad as a food. It's even low inflammatory (look up Empirical Diet Inflammatory Pattern EDIP)

BUT theres a pretty big difference between standard cheese and a triple cheese with salami and extra everything.

Throw some quality meat sticks and dried fruit in your bag.

+1 heavy whipping cream
The saturated fat is underrated and tastes great in coffee(hot/cold) if that's your thing.

Pro tip: Unless your cardio is ... better than mine, be aware that it takes a lot of respiration to burn through it and will make walking the course feel harder.

Agree with most of the ideas here. Weigh yourself every morning (and record it) to monitor where you are. Try to keep a running average in your head, understanding things like hydration will impact that number on a day to day basis. Especially after you get done with a round in hot weather. After that, dried fruit and nuts are a great choice. Neither are very satiating, so you won't feel any fuller, and both are incredibly calorie dense. The fruit due to the added sugar and nuts due to the fat. Check out the calorie count in a handful of cashews or macadamia nuts. A couple handfuls can get to 1000 calories really quickly. Protein shakes are another good option if you're having trouble getting your 1g/lb. Usually in the 300 calorie range, again not terribly satiating. Easy to put down and not feel full.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom