all posts post new thread

Programming Improv When To Switch from S&S to Q&D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I know theres ways to test your perfect bell suze in the book but i want to make sure my strenghg ratios are right.
If I practice S&S at 40kgs. What should I be able to Snatch for Q&D... Or what comparison has anyone else found?

I don't think there is any standard or expected correspondence, especially comparing swing to snatch, which will depend a lot on your snatch technique.

But with the heaviest bell I can snatch for 5 reps, I can not even do one full series of Q&D (2 sets of 10 on the minute).
@WhomtheBellTolls I was not doing "pure" S&S, but this spring I got to 14 sets of 10 1HSW with 40kg (alternating snatch sessions of 5X32kg and swing sessions of 10X40kg). I switched to Q&D for the summer, and 32kg was just a bit too heavy for sets of 10. This mirrors what @Steve W. said with his 5 reps bell being too heavy for Q&D. Ideally, I think the "best" bell would have been 28 or 30kg, but I don't own those. My adaptation was to use the 32 and do a bit shorter sets. I started with sets of 8 and am now at sets of 9 (instead of 10). This seems to be working.

This mirrors what @Steve W. said with his 5 reps bell being too heavy for Q&D. Ideally, I think the "best" bell would have been 28 or 30kg, but I don't own those. My adaptation was to use the 32 and do a bit shorter sets. I started with sets of 8 and am now at sets of 9 (instead of 10). This seems to be working.
There is a section at the end of the book on varying the load, which suggests using a 5/2 (not 5/4) rep scheme with a heavier bell, and a 15/2 rep scheme with a lighter bell. So your adaptation of doing shorter sets is within the "official" parameters of the program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom