all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Where does this fit?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rwleonard

Level 7 Valued Member
A few years back, I did a Bent Press/Reverse TGU combo, eventually working up to being able to do 40 minutes of reps OTM when feeling spunky and 20-30 like brushing my teeth with a 32kg. This had great carry over to BJJ, giving a nice balance of endurance, strength, and mobility.

My question is, where does this fit in current SFG thinking? Is it strength aerobics? A+A? Does it fit at all? The work to rest ratios are out of whack, but it is a grind and not a ballistic.

I think I have recovered enough from a shoulder injury to start working this again. I think it could make a great compliment to Q+D snatches (I am in week 9 of the first 12 week run on that).

Lots of ways to mix up the two, to keep giving a "same but different" look to the program.

Thoughts?

Do you mean several reps OTM, or a single rep OTM?

Either way, I would say the energy system usage is a little bit like A+A in that you use energy, then it's recharged, then you reuse it again... repeated many times. This is one aspect of A+A. However it's not a great depletion of PCr, and it's not power-based, so I wouldn't call it A+A. Grinds tend to be lactate-producing... but then again, most strength and power movements are if they last any more than a few seconds. A+A is one form of AGT, but there are others. Anti-glycolytic doesn't so much mean no lactate or glycolysis, but not having it be enduring or deep. You would be meeting that criteria, so I would say that it is a form of AGT.

So you're getting some energy systems training, and strength training, and movement practice, and building work capacity... all good. Whether it's the most effective means towards your goals is another topic that could be discussed, but if you like it, I don't see any down sides.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom