all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which Captains of Crush gripper should I get next?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello all,

I'm able to easily close the #1 (140lbs) gripper for sets of five per hand multiple times throughout the day (could probably do about ten reps if I wanted to). My question is, which gripper should I get next given where I'm at, 1.5 or 2?

Given that the #2 is 195lbs, I figured that this didn't sound like too much of a jump, although I've read that the jump in difficulty is more than it sounds like and better progress can be made using the .5 grippers to bridge the gap.

I'll be honest, I ask which ONE I should get since I'd rather not get two new ones just yet as they are a bit pricey, although I know they're a good investment so if anyone would strongly recommend it I may just get both.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Harry

Much appreciated @Steve Freides, I've just ordered it as they're on Amazon Prime, so I'll have it tomorrow. That way if it is too much for me I can have the 1.5 by the day after! :)

Let us know how it goes.

Prime - tempting for that reason. I usually just wait until I have $50 worth of stuff and then do the free slow shipping.

-S-

Will do Steve. If I can squeeze out even one rep (or even half a rep) then that gives me plenty to work with; when I first got my #1 I couldn't do one complete rep, rather I did assisted reps with a controlled negative.

Prime is handy in situations like this. :)

Harry - how did you ramp up the #1? Just by GTG, over a lengthy period of time?

It's funny how GTG seems to work. The first time I pulled the #1 out of its packet, it seemed ridiculous (for a normal human). After only a couple of weeks, it feels like butter! The #2 will be pretty intimidating...

Simon.

Are they known to lose resistance from being used ?

I notice a lot of the vids where people have posted themselves closing one are done with a brand new gripper that's been freshly unboxed for the first time.

If the old one you have is fatigued and lost some of its resistance the jump in poundage to a new one that's a higher poundage could be more than what the specifications suggest.

@Gassyndrome yeah just GTG, and over the last couple of weeks I've focused specifically on the #1 (plus OAPUs, and NO other training) due to not being able to do much else too physical at the moment. But basically yes, focused GTG really does work. When I first got the #1 it was tough to close it halfway, then I had a full rep within 3 weeks or so.

@Tarzan you make a point I hadn't really considered... Although FWIW, I read somewhere (possibly Iron Mind's site), that COC grippers are pretty resilient. Either way, we'll see how I get on tomorrow! :)

Also, and this may be assuming WAY too much, but when it comes to certification for closing the harder grippers, Iron Mind doesn't specify in the rules that the gripper being used has to be fresh out the box as far as I can see, just that it has to be an official COC one that is untampered with... Maybe this means that it's not something they're too concerned about?

The rules can be found here:

Captains of Crush® - Rules for Closing & Certification

Last edited:
If they lose something, it's very, very, very small. They're an excellent product and none of mine feel easier when I've compared them to a new one.

I was an official judge for someone local who closed a #3 - it was a cool thing to do, and very cool thing to witness.

-S-

Good to know they lose very little Steve!

That's pretty awesome, I'd be careful about shaking hands with someone who could do that...

Yeah that's good to know, thanks Steve. Maybe they unbox them on camera to help validate the authenticity of the task.

A bit off topic, but I'm considering getting some of these myself and trying to get a baseline for a starting point. Does anyone know how squeezing a set bathroom scales translates to poundage on a COC gripper ?

I thought I had fairly strong hands but I can only squeeze about 110-120 kg (with two hands) on the dial of a set bathroom scales. That seems to vary from day to day. It's a bit different from a leverage perspective as you have to squeeze the scales with your fingertips, but is it fair gauge of strength to pick my first gripper ?

Last edited:
Quick update, The #2 just arrived, and I can close it to exactly parallel in my left hand, and just past parallel in my right. Using the free hand in either case I can get it closed and hold it briefly, so I've got plenty to work with; I think the #2 was the right call. :)

@Tarzan when it came to getting my first gripper, I just went with my gut and got the #1... I'd imagine if you've got some experience with kettlebells and/or deadlifting that the #1 will be a decent starting place (bearing in mind I was a pure bodyweight trainee when I got my #1 - no regular weights at all), giving you something to work with. I'm not sure how much the bathroom scale will help you gauge your best choice of gripper though...

@Tarzan, you won't go wrong if you order a Trainer, and #1, and #2. Some of the strongest grip masters out there still work the Trainer regularly.

-S-

The 2 was a good choice. Once you get the 2, I recommend the the 2.5. The poundage jump for the 3 is huge. I hope to go for the 3 some day, but for now the 2.5 is plenty enough.

Another quick update (I know, only since this morning!), I've now been able to get past parallel with the #2 with both hands, just doing assisted singles with a controlled negative throughout the day. I nearly closed it with my right hand at one point, just a few millimeters off!

The power of GTG - noticeable improvements over the course of one day.

I assumed I would have been able to squeeze quite a bit more than I did on a bathroom scale. I'm 78 kg and I can do one arm pullups on my vertical pullup handles, so I was expecting to wind the scale off the clock with the bathroom scales and have a combined grip force of 150 kg +. It must because of the reduced mechanical advantage due to having to grip with the fingertips on the bathroom scales rather than gripping near the second knuckle for most other things.

I'll heed the advice though and start with the #1 and if the leader of the opposition is in a good mood I might get a #2 at the same time.

Tarzan, a long time ago, I tested a gripper I had on a scale and didn't think the result made sense. I later read about how calculating the force to compress a spring implement is different, as springs are reactive and can change tension as they're compressed. I think the CoC people have said that their lbs #'s are "ratings" for guidance and comparison. At any rate, they're a great product- it's good to have one you can do close to 10 reps, and another that's a challenge to close. I have a Trainer and #1. The 1 was frustrating for me at first, because getting it closed halfway is pretty easy, and then it stalls until you've adapted to it. I can close the 1 with either hand for couple reps, but mostly use the Trainer.

I decided this morning that I would invest in a #1.5 after all; given that the #1 is easy for me to close and the #2 is some way off a single good rep, I figured that the #1.5 would be a worthwhile investment for the sake of allowing for more variety in intensity/volume and also given that I plan to dedicate a bit more time to the grippers. Hopefully it won't be long before I have a bone-crushing handshake and start looking like Popeye! :)

The jump for #1 can be #2 daunting. I have all of them up to #3.5. Getting the #1.5 is a good idea. You can add some braced and choked closes with the #2. Also, close with two hands, and hold, or controlled negative, but use sparingly. Two reps as a finisher works well.

"No Set" closes should be the core of your gripper training. To make the #1 harder you can file down the bottom, inside of the handles. This increases the distance and weight to close. "Inverted" closes, where you close the gripper upside down, may be harder or easier, but they are a must.

Closes and holds in position are harder, and have more carryover to weight training. Close with a straight arm, and wrist, like a pulling position, overhead, or straight out in front of you. Also, try the kettlebell front rack position, and with the wrist "Goosenecked".

Closing grippers is just one aspect of grip strength, but it is a great exercise, and worth the investment.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom