all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why is training to failure a bad idea?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Nick if you read Pavel's books the answer will be clear. Basically when you train to failure you are training your nervous system to fail. When you stop training this way and start leaving a few reps "in the bank" then you will feel the difference. Before you were telling your nervous system "it's okay to give out when the intensity gets too high" but when you don't train to failure then you get every rep. This is training your nervous system to make the full range of motion (for whatever the exercise) everytime, so when the you try your max you're nervous system will put out the signal to make sure to complete the rep just like you've been training it to do. I recently trained with a friend who went to failure on his lifts. He tested his max on bench press and couldn't put up 275 lbs. He said the weight felt light but when he got to his chest he couldn't budge it up. I told him this was probably because he had been teaching his nervous system that its okay to not complete the rep when the load is heavy.

I hope this helps, and im not trying to speak for Pavel or strongfirst this is just my take on the matter.

For me injury prevention is the best reason not to train to failure.  :)  I agree read Pavel's books he goes into this in detail.   I think many do this because they think you cannot get strong or build muscle unless you go to failure but that simply is not true.  On the other hand many say you won't get stronger training to failure, that also is not true.  You can get stronger but you will injure yourself more often training in that manner.

I am under the impression that, in addition to all the statements above, the recovery time after training to failure is longer and prevents "greasing the groove" or at least makes it more difficult versus when  you leave some reps in the bank but train the particular lift or complex with more frequency.  If that is wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Ward, yes - the more you tax the nervous system, the more recovery you need, which is why GTG is done far, far from failure - that's the only way very frequent training can work.

-S-

Cons of training to failure.

Impeded recovery.

Increased risk of injury.

Poor lifting form and therefore results.

Pronounced increase in cortisol (with many negative effects).

The list goes on.

Training to fatigue is not a problem, especially those who want a mix of strength/hypertrophy or endurance but even then attention to how much is vital as form often deteriorates rapidly (often before we realise it for ourselves).  It is therefore vital to have a process to regularly scrutinise form. Problem is training to failure is a simple end point for many whereas stopping a couple of reps short is too subjective for Some. I think for most people  training far from failure is more safe, effective, sets the strength foundation for a metabolic training program (if so desired) and lays a bedrock for refining technique in the absence of extreme fatigue.

My own experiences....

Form is destroyed (risk of injury)

Concentration on the lift is lost as you are concentrating on that last few reps (risk of injury)

Longer to recover (risk of injury/overuse)

Typically exercises where you go to failure often start to become ballistic (attempt to move the weight quickly even though not possible) even when consciously attempting to go slow (more ballistic, more risk of injury)

Taxes the nervous system, maybe excessively (risk of injury)

Training to failure enables the feeling the burn sensation. Once experienced the sensation, a training session starts to feel inadequate unless that sensation can be replicated.

I have experienced all of the above.

Russell, I have been in the rut you speak of. It's a sad and lonely place.

I personally train to maintain (and build) strength as my age increases (ok, i'm 31 but eventually it will catch up with me) and remain mobile through ROM as long as possible. Supporting your own bodyweight will soon become a challenge for everyone, shame people don't realise it more often.

I know I repeated a lot of previous posts, it's always good to emphasise :)

Follow me on twitter (if ya interested) @HalfofTDB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom