all posts post new thread

Old Forum Why the 32 K?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

banzaiengr

Level 6 Valued Member
Guessing that this has been answered before but since there's no search engine, please forgive my redundancy.  Why is the 32 Kg KB the simple goal of S&S?  Since it's not based on bodyweight or age, why 32, why not 24, or 40, or 48?

If I remember right, Pavel mentions it in the book.... something about 32kg being the ideal weight that most men can reach in a moderate amount of time.

Personally I believe that most men can gain enough strength using S&S to own the 32kg without too much time dedicated.   The truly devoted and dedicated ones may reach the sinister goal.

My own empirical evidence has concluded that the 24kg is too light and the 40kg is too heavy for the average joe. I wrote earlier somewhere that everyone can lift at least 20kg with their natural strength, that is, at their jobs or something similar. 32kg on the other hand sends a signal to your body that you have to get stronger, or else! ..So it serves as a middleground and a good stepping stone before you move to a more advanced program (powerlifting/strongman/etc) or going for a specific KB personal best (TSC comes to mind.)

That's just my own hypothesis though.

edit. If I recall correctly, someone much smarter than I concluded that the best power production during Swings is somewhere around 1/3rd of your bodyweight. I don't know if that is true or relevant though.

After working with S&S for a bit now all I know is the 24kg feels like a toy now compared to the 32kg. (I am 6' 195lbs)

Brandon Hetzler has done research about the ideal size of the KB for top power production is a 1/3 of the person's bodyweight.

Thanks gentlemen, that all makes sense.  I'm just about ready to advance to the 32.  I have a decent amount of lifting experience and I too believe that the 32 would be a good goal for the average joe.  I was just curious if anyone knew how Pavel came to that.  Just experience or is there something more that happens when the average joe starts pushing the 32 around.  1/3 your body weight sounds like a reasonable explanation also.

banzaiengr,

I would consider myself an average joe.  I'm 5'10" and weigh 172lb.  I'm an office worker and have very little weight lifting experience.  I haven't truly worked out in the last 7 years prior to starting working with kettlebells about 60 days ago.     The only weight lifting experience I have, I did in high school.  I"m in my early 30s and a few weeks ago started adding in the 32kg.

This week I've been completing all my swings/getups with a 32kg and expect to reach the simple goal no later than the end of July.

Good luck!

Banzaiengr, 16kg is 1 pood, an archaic Russian measure of weight. 24kg is 1.5 pood, and 32kg is 2 pood. This is why these are the original standard kettlebell sizes.

The results of Brandon Hetzler's nifty force plate analysis of the swing are here:

http://scienceoftheswing.blogspot.com

Bill, interesting read.  So, what is the KB drill, other than the swing that with the same load results in significantly more power?

Banzai, there is no science, just decades if not centuries of observation.  As soon as a man starts showing a 32kg kettlebell who is the boss, he dramatically changes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom