all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Would Cleans be a remedy for my tiny biceps?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oxydra

Level 2 Valued Member
I don't like doing dumbbell curls, and I'd rather do KB cleans if it hopefully beefs the biceps enough...

Chin Ups.

I’ve also heard good things about heavy goblet squats (like an isometric curl). Do the goblet squat curls if you want to hit the biceps even more.

This is like asking a chocolatier in Brussels for his best English chocolate!
Savage but fair.

I've never been a fan of dumbbell curls either. I do like barbell curls though although I do them for low reps (<5) for strength rather than size. No reason you couldn't get an amazing pump though with lower weights for sets of 6-8 (or more). You could also do banded curls with a barbell for extra 'squeeze' at the top. Meaty.

Savage but fair.

I've never been a fan of dumbbell curls either. I do like barbell curls though although I do them for low reps (<5) for strength rather than size. No reason you couldn't get an amazing pump though with lower weights for sets of 6-8 (or more). You could also do banded curls with a barbell for extra 'squeeze' at the top. Meaty.
The snobbish Mr. Clean rubbed off on me... My apologies to @Oxydra.

Dan John has previously stated that the clean with a kettlebell is an extremely underrated movement for the "guns" as they say. When I first started training with kettlebells steadily I noticed my sleeves got tighter....cleans were to blame.
Interesting! I thought that was an undesired outcome of sapped hip power! Whenever my hip power lags during heavy cleans, I notice both exerted biceps and extended lower back.

Interesting! I thought that was an undesired outcome of sapped hip power! Whenever my hip power lags during heavy cleans, I notice both exerted biceps and extended lower back.
I dunno, I'm certainly no expert but I assume that it's like when bodybuilders claim they do pull-ups with a wide grip and try to eliminate their biceps from dominating the movement so as to really "focus on the lats"......fine and well, but the biceps will still get work! I think it's kind of hard to eliminate any one body part in a full-body movement. I think this is probably very true if you use heavier bells. I think I also read once that body shape may have something to do with it??? In my case at least, I feel cleans with a kettlebell in my hamstrings, biceps and traps.

In my case at least, I feel cleans with a kettlebell in my hamstrings, biceps and traps.
Same here. Also, when I upped my Giant 1.1 from 6 reps 32kg Clean&Press to 7 reps I also suddenly felt it in my quads (!?!?)...a lot!!

To the original point, the double 32kg cleans have definitely filled out my shirtsleeves!!

My arms look as good as they ever have with only kettlebell training for the last year. I think cleans, and especially rack holds, really build up the arms-- cleans, standing rack hold, rack carries and kb front squats are all included.

Also, don't forget about kb row variations.

Yes to cleans and also goblet squats and carries ( all types ) as long as the hold is active, all those for kettlebells.
Chin ups really good as well.

Last edited:
Just do some curls at the end of your regular session. Go heavy, low reps, short breaks, 3-4 repeats. Rest a few minutes and go again.

With good form on compound exercises the bicep will see action, but always secondary (bicep fatigue will not be the cause of failure).

Since it gets lots of secondary volume just a few sets of specific work will pay off, no need to have a "biceps day".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom