all posts post new thread

Would you agree with this statement?

"Good physical health will always lead to good mental health."

"Good physical health is a prerequisite for good mental health."

Both statements are blanket statements that have practical examples proving them to not be always true statements.

If you get an injury or illness, it will definitely affect your mental health (anger, depression, etc.).

I agree with the first part, but not the second. The frailty and transience of human life is something we can, and should get resigned to, so that we we finally come face to face with the inevitable, we can do so with courage and dignity. Not saying I have reached that level or anything.

cognizant of the shortcomings in his knowledge

Sounds like every social media influencer I've ever heard of. ;)

A single sentence is tough to flesh out

Sensationalism sells.

Physiology and psychology are intricately linked

Agreed. Intricate being the operative word precluding a mere soundbite from being all-encompassing.

Only a Sith thinks in absolutes
1686214774472.png

There’s plenty of physically fit people who struggle with mental health and plenty of people with fine mental health who you’d consider not physically healthy.

Would it help? Maybe. And a fitness forum or people who have fitness as part of their lives are definitely going to skew towards needing to be physically fit to be mentally well.

For example:
If your hobbies are cycling, jiu jitsu and kettlebells and you can no longer do them because of how unfit you are that will probably take a massive toll on your mental.

If your hobbies are cooking, playing guitar and reading then you would be less affected by becoming unfit, unwell, obese, losing a leg etc.

If your hobbies are cooking, playing guitar and reading then you would be less affected by becoming unfit, unwell, obese, losing a leg etc.
My hobbies include a) cooking and b) Saxophone:
a) my choice of recipes and foods are very limited because of my diabetes induced obesity. This makes me sad when I want to make an ellaborate meal for my family (hmmmm, for "my self" is more appropriate)
b) my autoimmune disease affected my sinus and lungs. This prevented me from playing my Sax for about 3 months. I cannot being to explain how this depressed me. my friend lent me his piano keyboard, which helped, but I"m a Saxophonist, not a pianist! I'm fortunate that we diagnosed and managing my condition and can play again. umm, dark humour regarding losing a leg: what if that leg was the one I tapped to keep time? sorry, my mind went there as my musci timing is still so poor!

I went through a couple year period of depression and really let myself go. It wasn’t until my mental health improved that I started trying to improve my physical health.
It can go both ways though. When it hurts to walk, that really has an impact on your sense of adventure and quality of life and that can really get you down.

Definitely disagree. Lot I could say, but you can be very mentally healthy and not be all that physically healthy, and you can be on the other end of that spectrum, or anywhere in between. Training definitely improves my mental health, but that's not exactly the same as "good physical health."

Shoot, and that's even ignoring what "good" means for physical and mental health!

"Good enough is good enough, but better is better." I saw that in someone's sig line on another forum. I'm still trying to get to "good enough".

Oh yeah and the other thing commonly said on that forum, is "good enough for what"? Too much to unpack for me to try and get into answering that one here lol

Back
Top Bottom