all posts post new thread

Year of Long Cycle of Death

Bkb

Level 6 Valued Member
This year my goal is to complete LCOD with 1x71 clean and push press. At present, my 24 kg is a ~13-15 rm and feels great lifting, 28kg is a ~8-10 rm and feels good lifting, 32kg is a ~5 rm and hurts my joints at present when lifting.

In the last couple years I’ve started and stopped multiple programs to injuries (elbow, back, knees, hips, shoulder). I’ve decided to not do any doubles lifts this year. My goal is to avoid injury and complete LCOD with the 71. If I can make it through to the end without setbacks or having to pivot, I’ll be quite happy, and hopefully stronger and we’ll conditioned.

Another motivation for me was Geoff’s email recently about what might happen if you focus on one single thing for an entire year… interested to see for myself.

I’m starting with the 24kg which is under the suggested 7-8 rm starting bell. This is intentional as I’d like to minimize opportunities for getting sidelined and build up volume and weight slowly. I don’t want to fail.

If I must pivot at all, I’ve already decided on a plan B. With my elbows being the most likely adversary (from cleans), my plan B is to swap the clean and push press for the long push press (squat+push press with no added cleans after the first).

Here’s the plan:

LCOD with 24kg; Now-March.

LCOD with 28kg; April-Mid June.

LCOD with 32 kg;Mid June-August.

Accessory movements will be limited to:

-Push Ups (4-6 sets weekly)
-Goblet Squats (4-6 sets weekly)
-Biking to work (infrequently during April-June); I’m a teacher so June is the last month.
-Rows (only in the Spring if my elbows are showing no signs of issue… for some reason I have far less pain/discomfort in the warm sunny seasons, just something I’ve noticed over the years.)

Today was W1D1 (Sets of 1/2/3/4/5)

-Completed 3x1/2/3/4/5 and 1x1/2/3/4
-55 Clean and Push Presses Total/Side
-11,660 total lbs moved
-5.5 Clean and Push Press reps per minute

Could have easily completed the 4th ladder and then some but trying to ease into the program safely and smartly.

I was able to complete the first two ladders without setting the bell down for the entire 1/2/3/4/5.

There’s something I really like about the simplicity and duration of the sessions and program. At 20 minutes, there’s enough in the tank to execute reps with precision and quality and enough leftover to stretch, roll and do assistance work I often ‘skip’. At 3 phases of 3 weeks, it’s just enough change to prevent shiny object syndrome.

Posting this log for accountability, nothing else. Will provide start and end weights, bf, body composition changes, strength changes, and perhaps pictures.

Going to follow this one. Good luck on your journey. For me, single kb also works better abd going back at a lighter weight works wonder (speak from experience).

W1D2 (Sets of 1/2/3/4)

5x1/2/3/4
50 Clean and Push Presses/Side
10,600 lbs moved
5.0 Reps per minute

Could have easily pushed for a full extra ladder. Really trying to ease in and ignore my desire to go harder than an RPE of4/5 this first week.

Restarted.

W1D1

4x1/2/3/4/5 (60 reps per side)

12,720 lbs
6.0 reps per minute
RPE ~8

Accessory:
Goblet Squats 2x12 (warm-up)
Curls 2x20 (after)

Back
Top Bottom