all posts post new thread

Off-Topic "You can learn a lot by hangin' out"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
This morning I was watching a Rick Beato video on his YouTube channel (which I recommend if you have more than a passive interest in music). He's about my age, 60's, and he talked about how, in college, he worked as a stage hand and sometimes got to "hang out" with the performers, how his college roommate and he would "hang out" listening to, and talking about, records, and he tells a few other stories as well, ending with a quotation from one of his music teachers:

"You can learn a lot by hangin' out."

A site like the StrongFirst forum is the 21st century version of "hangin' out." For me, it started in the 1980's with 300 baud modems and CompuServe discussion forums, but it's really caught on in a way few could have imagined then. Electronic connectedness has become ubiquitous, and here we find ourselves, "hangin' out" with others interested in strength.

I very much enjoy "hangin' out" with everyone here, and something about the varying opinions on the recent forum reorganization made me want to post this message. The new look of the forum - not finished, by the way - is perhaps as significant in the grand scheme of things as redecorating a room: noticed by all, distracting to some, pleasing to others. But it's the cast of characters and the conversation that matter most. It's been, and continues to be, an honor and a privilege to be the manager of this tavern-next-door-to-the-gym.

-S-

I don't mind the new look. For how I use the forum most, it adds a step to find out what the latest posts are in a given sub, but literally a second or three.

The kettlebell sub gets a much greater % of overall traffic than I appreciated.

But yeah, a great hangout and the quality of experience is first rate.

In my usual curmudgeonly way, I was somewhat irritated by the new format. Then I saw the thread about @Tom Furman 's new eBook. Then I noticed several intriguing "nonkettlebell" threads. I would have missed all of this since 99% of my forum time has been in the kettlebell forum. Yes, what a great place to hang out!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom