all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Your achievements for 2022, and goals for 2023.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Improved Hip Mobility considerably
Recovered Meniscus operation successful enough to tear it again.
Improved ground work fluidity considerably.
Dead hang for over a minute.
1H
Go down to BMI 23 from BMI 26 while doing Fabio’s Built Strong Minimalist.
Own GS mobility/form
Own TGU overhead mobility for left arm
Run OS unlock your body program until reaching acceptable fluidity, gain confidence and fluidity with fundamental ground work.
2H
Set strength goals with unlocked KB and BW moves.
Okay. Good start to the year, already lost 3 kg (7 pounds) with minimal muscle loss if not gain (by mirror check)

I was planning to set KB strength goal in 2H of 2023. But hey, I have jumped to the waters w encouragement from forum members and now setting the goal for KB.

I want to own 28kg bell by S&S standards by the end of 2023.

I also want to follow NW as planned but goals will be coming later on.

I also continue my movement practice, and boy S&S is made in heaven to enhance “movement” practice with strength, conditioning , stability, joint health and mobility.

Was not expecting the mobility aspect at all, but S&S warm up and cool down routines + TGUs done frequently improve mobility faster than standalone mobility programs for me.

We have about 4 months left in the year... How's everyone doing on their goals?

Mine are coming along pretty well, but I see a couple on my list that I had forgotten about, and I still like them. Specifically, writing another article for the StrongFirst blog, and working on my mental game for competition through things like meditation, visualization, autogenic training. So, I'll see what I can do to fire those up for this last third of the year.

On the 20th of July I did the following:

Ran this assessement from Mountain Tactical Institute (here) with the following scores:

BW: 185 lbs

Front Squat: 235 lbs
Tactical Pullups: 8 (Better than when I was testing this back in December and I had elbow pain to get 5...I got 8 with NO pain)
Deadlift: 385 lbs (attempted 415 lbs getting not quite to lockout before my grips gave way 1.5 cm from top)
Bench: 235 lbs (Lifetime Record, previous max achieved months earlier was 225 lbs.)

Totaled up loads for bench, front squat, and deadlift and then added pullups (8 x 18.5 (10% BW) for the score below.

Score: 1003

Divided by bodyweight I got a 5.42 rating, a 'good' for a Mountain Athlete.

My goal is a new deadlift PR this year, 2023. To that end, I'm going to the IPL North American championship meet at the end of October to hopefully set a new personal best.

So far, training seems to be on track. My 1RM, set last Fall at a USPA competition, is 170 kg (375 lb). Today was my main DL day and I did 145 kg (85%, 320 lb) for 5 reps x 3 sets. I'm planning on making 180 kg (397 lb) my third attempt at the meet. USPA is my federation, which is part of the IPL, M65-69, Raw, 67.5 kg.

-S-

We have about 4 months left in the year... How's everyone doing on their goals?

Mine are coming along pretty well, but I see a couple on my list that I had forgotten about, and I still like them. Specifically, writing another article for the StrongFirst blog, and working on my mental game for competition through things like meditation, visualization, autogenic training. So, I'll see what I can do to fire those up for this last third of the year.
I'm getting close to getting both my goals. Working on patience and just putting in the work until test time comes.

500lb deadlift goal, pulled a real fast 450 in january, got real close with 485 a month after that. Probably could have gotten it if my mindset was a bit better with being ok grinding. haven't tested since, but did have an unexpectedly bad deadlift session last month. Has me a bit worried. A weight I should get and recently did 10 reps with stopped me at 2.

Getting bodyweight overhead goal: got a 210lb log clean and press in January during in a competition. haven't tested it since, just working on putting in the reps. Fairly confident it is there right now, but don't want to waste an attempt yet. I did do a half bodyweight circus dumbbell in an April competition. So using bad theoretical lifter math I should be close.

Had a few speed bumps with training the past couple weeks, but am getting back into things this weekend. Had a death in the family and moved houses the same week so ended putting training on hold for a couple weeks.

There is a deadlift competition coming up in November, (Dia De Los Deadlift) that I'm hoping to hit my deadlift goal and a powerlifting meet a month after that for a second chance.

Unfortunately no presses in competitions coming up, so that will have to a be a gym PR. Why is everyone local all about circus dumbbells? Why no logs or axles? These are questions I do not have answers to.

Also lastly, anyone been keeping up with @Rif s IG lately? That guy is putting up some heavy weight overhead lately. Already given me a ton of insight into strict pressing. If you are interested in putting most people's bench press overhead, I'd highly recommend taking a look.

My biggest goal for this year was to do the SFG certification, which I’ve completed. The rest of the year is focused on SFG II prep, and I’d like to get my 1/2-BW press by the end of the year. To make sure that half weight stays half weight, I’m also trimming about 5 kilos by the end of the year.

Lose 18kg (on track)
Waist 36" ( very close)
Incline Press 100kg for reps (did 3x3 the other day so done)
Trap Bar DL 180kgx5 (done)
Shoulder Press 32kg KB without pain for reps (key here is without pain, I can do 28s without pain so close)

Also reevaluating my career. No goal as of yet, but after 20 years teaching has made me sick, physically and mentally. I had a few months off with stress and now feel fantastic. I didn't realise how toxic it was or how sick it had made me, so I am reevaluating my situation.

Back
Top Bottom